Background pictures for ambiences

This is because, annoyingly, ambience pictures are square! So it cuts a square out of the (probably) rectangular image you provided, and then cuts a vertical and a horizontal rectangle out of that square. So if you provide a square image where you’ve pre-calculated the two rectangles, it should look the way you expect it to. (Way back in the day, when Sailfish OS was still version 1 and the interface worked in a different way, ambiences were actually extremely long rectangles.)

9 Likes

Hmm… I have never seen documentation since I joined the forum 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Reading through the docs on ambience thought it’s very much not intuitive. I wonder what the intention was behind the design. Even with the ambience crop-tool is it very difficult to get the picture right.

I’ll make the 6th app in 2 weeks: fiat margo (margo for edge. It will add the padding that SFOS will later cut off, so WYSIWYG :slight_smile: )

:smiley:

4 Likes

Could it be, because ambiences have to work both in portrait and landscape mode, the ambience generator cuts out a square first and then zooms in to either view?

5 Likes

Hmm.. maybe found another bug then. My ambience is always standing, even though I flip the phone. It’s only when opening an app that the ambience very briefly flips before the app covers the screen. Had I know this, then I’d probably question the ambience-picture-slicing less.

And @anon48373651 both claude and mistral vibe are very intelligble when it comes to SFOS. They don’t do it all correct out of the box, but when I run into stuff and ask them to find out how, why and all, they kind of never miss.

And yes, LLM coding. I try to make it as good as I can. I know python, java and webdesign like html, javascript and css. So, while coding isn’t my living, I know enough to question and read code. Probably missed something somewhere.

I just got access to OBS, but might try open repos to. If there’s any interest for anyone trying :smiley:

1 Like

Look in settings. You can switch home screen rotation on and off.

Yes, but it only works for apps, not the “cover screen”. :slight_smile: As I said it only flips as it’s opening an app, returning to standing when I close. :slight_smile:

Could you make a screenshot or record a video of the problem? It all works as expected on my phone. The only exception is if an app forces a screen orientation, e.g. Stumblefish forces portrait mode.