Help me narrow down list of devices for Sailfish

Sounds more like you don’t like the internet :smile:

1 Like

Sorry l don’t understand your response. Are you saying forget Android compatibility mode unless l can get an Android program to officially run in compatibility mode?

I’m saying:

1. Forget about peripherals that need special apps in Android App Support (and Waydroid).
  2. Forget about Android App Support on community ports [of Sailfish OS]. There is Waydroid on some - educate yourself on the the difference if you intend to use it.
1 Like

I want to run the software as it is, without it being a special port, in Waydroid then

Not even close to what i said. Clarification added.

Sorry l’m not really understanding you. But l want to run an Android payment app for a card reader, and l hope to do so by installing an app that isn’t a port, in Waydroid.

I said absolutely nothing about ports of apps.

I did however say:

And i really mean it. They will not work. There is no chance.

1 Like

“Unless you include Waydroid in that, you are down to official ports only - so you can stop looking at others.” So, regarding what you said about ports of apps, are you saying the app must exist already as an official port, for it to work in Waydroid? I thought the whole point of Waydroid was that it takes on Android, within Linux, and makes it usable, not that it takes something made usable in Linux, and … makes it usable in Linux :-S

EDIT: It doesn’t have to be Waydroid, there’s apparently also a program called AppSupport, would that work?

I repeat:

Ports here means ports of Sailfish OS.
Official ports has Android App Support™ - unofficial ones may or may not have Waydroid.

They are not equivalent - it will be helpful for you to look up the difference.

Android App Support (and Waydroid) has the limitation that USB, Bluetooth, WiFi management, VPN, etc interfaces will not work [for Android apps], as they are handled by the actual operating system. This kills your ability to use such card readers and other things.

1 Like

Okay l’ll play it by ear. I think l might be able to take payments with the headless cardreader hardware, will being logged into my account on the phone, to eMail the receipt to the customer for the incoming payment.

By the way, did you mean “interfaces will not work [for Android apps]”

Yes, fixed.    

Ok so asides from that, what would you suggest out of the 3 options l have remaining?

• Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 (l worry this might need a communityl port of SFOS)
  • Sony Xperia 10 IV
  • Volla Phone X23

For anyone that isn’t a super-advanced user and wants to daily-drive the phone and may need the odd Android app, always go with an official port.
There is no official port on your list, though one is likely to appear for the Sony Xperia 10 IV and V in hopefully not too long.

Since you seem to have missed it:
https://shop.jolla.com/

1 Like

The nomenclature (Sailfish OS vs. Sailfish X) confused me.

I was going by this list: Supported Devices | Sailfish OS Documentation

That lists the Xperia X III as officially supported, but https://shop.jolla.com/ lists it as a job for Sailfish X (for 5 Xperia models) , not Sailfish OS (for officially supported devices)

Assuming Sailfish OS is fine with Xperia 1O III (rather than requiring Sailfish X, which l don’t mind paying for), then when Xperia 10 IV support appears, will it be for Sailfish OS or Sailfish X?

And when would you estimate 10 iV support to appear?

Another thing: Why isn’t Volla Phone 22 / X23 officially supported? I thought it was the same company.

Sailfish X is just the pay-for-features scheme for official ports.
Arguably it started as, or still is, Sailfish OS for officially supported devices not made by Jolla (basically Xperias and the Gemini). There didn’t use to be a free trial then, so it just meant “official Sailfish for other devices”.

Everything on that list was either made by Jolla, is available in the Sailfish X programme, or was available through it.

:point_down:

:person_facepalming: Jolla != Volla.

2 Likes

@Crassy and @attah, this was tedious but you are ultimately getting close to finalising this conversation with a concrete result, i.e. a device. Which seems to be the Xperia 10 IV, if / when Jolla officially supports it.

P.S.: @attah, I admire your patience.

P.P.S.: @Crassy, reading this thread completely (i.e. really all the way to its end) might be of interest for you: Camera improvements : the state of cameras on sailfish
And this message with regard to Volla phones: Extract Sony Camera APK's from Android 11 X10iii - #13 by Seven.of.nine

8 Likes

Please, no need to talk down to me. I am well aware that the model l want is converging on being Xperia 10 IV if / when, and that’s plain from my own posts so far. You’ve added nothing but arrogance and that’s coming from someone that gave a like to a previous thread. I could quite easily just spit in your face and then close down my ID and walk off, never again checking the thread. Would you like that? No, nor do l enjoy a zero-calorie post such as yours.

1 Like

No idea whats wrong with my phones but both the original Jolla phone and the port i use have this issue. Especially on 4G.

Well, I guess I can only quote @vlagged,

Pretty sure that depends on the email provider…