Help me narrow down list of devices for Sailfish

gmail

Works fine on my pc. :man_shrugging:

I don’t doubt that, but I’m also not knowledgeable enough to explain what’s gone wrong with your system/mail server.

OT:
Some long time ago phone number portability was legiferated in my country so that you can keep your number but switch networks.

Maybe we need something like this for email.

Right now you can’t just “change email provider” without changing the email address, other than in the case you’re hosting your own domain I guess

4 Likes

I’ve been using https://iki.fi/ precisely for this; has the disadvantage that google doesn’t always trust people doing things differentkly than google. Also many email providers are misconfigured.

Since we’re OT anyway, my professional organization started a membership benefit 30-ish years ago to offer a “forwarding address” email address for its members that would redirect all email to that address on to whatever the member selected as they’re current host. I still have and use mine. I agree it would be useful to make this portability universal.

1 Like

Excuse me but, am I missing something here? Like a deleted post or something like that?
All I see so far is many people trying to help so reading this doesn’t make any sense to me.

2 Likes

Keep it on topic. Thanks.

Without the part about spitting I would personally love that. @attah tried to help you and patiently explained the basics of Android support and Wayland.
Your reaction is inappropriate to say the least.

3 Likes

That says a lot about you if you’d love that. Do you really have nothing better to do than further derail the thread?

Regarding further posts along the lines of “we are the regulars, the peers, the Old Ones, we tried to help you and then follow up by insulting you, why can’t you appreciate us? We need to live, to breathe, through you, we are stuck in this planar forum world. Help.”

I don’t care. Download Form N1 —> Sue.

I will.
You cannot use a community port and all the drawbacks for the 10 III are explained into detail.
With that in mind you can

1. buy a 10 III now and try it
  2. wait a few months to see if IV is worth it and has less or no issues
  3. buy an iPhone 15/Galaxy S24 since these are the phone you are describing with the things you need

No other choice. Very simple and well explained already.

That part was concluded by myself, more or less, a long time ago.

I am looking at

• Xperia 10 IV (which would be a waiting game, l currently cannot allow my BlackBerry to run out of battery power, because the on/off switch has stopped working)

• Volla Phone 22 / X23, which l had recently realised by myself, was not a Jolla Phone, separate makers, hence slightly buggy according to some people, still functional though. Also, it can be purchased NEW, not grey market. Something about grey market worries me, like, does it have other hardware built in, evading detection, for criminal use or am l just being silly? Sadly, multiboot won’t come easy to me from what one respondent has said. Multiboot would be living the dream for me. Ubuntu, Volla OS, SFOS, all on one phone.

• I’m still waiting to see if another user has more to say about the Xiamo [Redmi] Note 10, though l’d prefer a smaller boutique manufacturer, or if it’s a big manufacturer, then Sony.

Sadly, Rephone have not replied to my eMail. I could try sending from another address l guess. Rephone has a good price, good spec, and has good feedback on this forum. Also it can be purchased NEW and is a boutique manufacturer so it ticks a lot of boxes but l needed to know if it can do LED notifications.

Again, community ports do not have Android app support, VoLTE, updates and support.
Ps.
Also if you get paranoid about a second hand device for hardware, you feel confident that the dude who created the port is a saint?
We didn’t have any issues as far as I know, I’m just trying to understand your reasoning.

1 Like

You’re referring to Rephone and Xiaomi, and probably Volla Phone, l’m guessing.

So perhaps it’d have to be Sony 10 IV for now, and maybe Volla Phone a few years down the line when l’m more au fait. That said, Volla OS is starting to look quite attractive even though it’s Android. If l went down that route, l’d choose Volla Phone with Volla OS or Punkt MC02 with Apostrophy OS (subscription).

The wildcard is just going for Volla Phone with Ubuntu Touch.

Good point. But a grey market phone is much more mysterious and predicated on near-law breaking from the start, perhaps even assembled from parts by someone the manufacturer doesn’t want to assemble their phones (but l’m guess that’d be hard to do if the manufacturer needs to authenticate each phone).

If sailfish is not business ready and in some cases not daily drivable, Ubuntu touch is not even close to sailfish.
Experimenting and testing is nice, I do that too.
But don’t expect miracles.

3 Likes

I see. I though Ubuntu Touch would be a world-class OS, seeing as it’s Ubuntu and been around for years. Thanks for the tip!

OK my options are:

• Sony 10 IV running Sailfish in a few months, and for now try to find someone that can repair my BlackBerry
  • Volla 22 / X23 on Volla OS now
  • Punkt MC02 on Apostrpohy OS (subscription after 1 year)

I think l will kickstart things by trying SFOS on my Xperia Z3 aka the shower timer. Funny way to conclude this matter but l can’t think of anything further.

You are advised to try your Android device with Android first so that you can return it or repair it in case it’s broken. If I were you I would get an Xperia 10 IV now and do the testing. Then it would be ready when Sailfish OS arrives for it.