Headset connected / android app is still using internal mic from the phone / audio routing issue

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 II
UI LANGUAGE: DE
REGRESSION: UNKNOWN

DESCRIPTION:

The use case is as follows:
Using Threema messaging app (Android layer), headset connected (wired/audio jack):
When doing a voice call the audio from the peer is routed to my headset speakers (so far so good), but my audio input is taken from the phone internal mic and not from the one at the headset.
So, when putting the phone in my pocket and continuing talking to the peer, my counterpart does not understand me anymore. This issue makes the usage of a headset worthless. I tested three different wired headsets, all with the same issue.

PRECONDITIONS:

headset connected (wired/audio jack)

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. headset connected (wired/audio jack)
  2. android app like threema
  3. phone/audio call

EXPECTED RESULT:

The input should be taken from the mic of the headset.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Wrong input source

MODIFICATIONS:

none

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Using a native SFOS app (audio recording app), it does use the headset correctly. Input is taken from the headset mic.

1 Like

Just to be sure, did you test your headset with another phone?

Yes. The headsets work greatly with my workstation and as mentioned above the native SFOS audio recording app does use the headset correctly. Input is taken from the headset mic. It seems to be an issue with the audio routing in the android layer … I guess.

1 Like

I had similar encounter lately with Telegram call and Discord when using Bluetooth earphones with built-in mic. They work as expected on native phone calls and recording though, just like you’ve described.

Also, Xperia 10 II user here with the latest 4.5 Sailfish.

Do bug reports get any feedback of the further processing progress like the state (in progress of review, already mapped to internal ticket, confirmed, not reproducible, or will not fix it). That would be helpful.

Sorry for zombiefying this. Saw this after the older report for SFOS 4.4 Impossible to use a Bluetooth Headset in Android applications

@flypig, @jovirkku I am tagging you again :wink:

can you help?

Hi @rozgwi. Thanks for highlighting this. If you’re experiencing the issue still, then it’s good that you do this. I’m afraid I can’t help with getting this tagged internally, but @jovirkku is the right person for that.

Otherwise, the Bug Report Coordination team go through all bugs and submit a collection each fortnight to Jolla for consideration. There’s no need to hassle them about it because they go through everything meticulously and tirelessly already, and I can see that it already appears as “New” on their Taiga board, so they already have it in their sights.

4 Likes

Thanks a lot for sharing this!