Community meeting on IRC 11th January 2024

Schedule: Thursday 2024-01-11T08:00:00Z   :world_map:   :date:

Topic proposals for the meeting:

• Add your name/nick using the template below to suggest a topic.
  • Indicate how much time you’ll need so we can time-box the meeting accordingly.
  • Please be as thorough as you can with your question/topic.
  • If you can’t make the meeting please ask and name a substitute.

It is expected that you show up and present your topic, or name a substitute and make sure they attend in your absence. These IRC meetings are for real time participation and live discussions, otherwise you can post the topic on here and get responses that way.

We need you to be present to clarify details in the topic, and to ensure the discussion is leading to the answers you are looking for! If you do not participate or your question/topic isn’t clear enough it will be postponed. Also: always ask for more time than you anticipate your topic needs!

Please have your topics ready at least 3 days before the meeting so we can prepare good answers. Topics announced afterwards will be postponed to the next meeting.

Template for topic proposal: (post your topic proposals as comments to this forum topic).

* Name/IRC nick:
* Topic:
* Some details about the topic:
* Approx. time needed:
* Substitute (optional):

Open Pull Requests:
If you have, or know of, a pull request that’s been open for at least 3 weeks, but which you think deserves attention, please add a comment using the template below and we’ll consider it during the next meeting.

* Name/IRC nick:
* Open PR URL:

2 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: nephros
  • Topic: XDG-Desktop-Portal specification: interesting for Sailfish OS?
  • Some details about the topic:

While experimenting with PipeWire I came across something called “XDG Portal specification”.
I am aware that something like this would be a rather large effort, so this is more of a long-term strategy/design question (SFOS v5/6/7 or so ;)) but here we go:

It is described as:

A portal frontend service for Flatpak and other desktop containment frameworks.

xdg-desktop-portal works by exposing a series of D-Bus interfaces known as portals under a well-known name ( org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop ) and object path ( /org/freedesktop/portal/desktop ).

The portal interfaces include APIs for file access, opening URIs, printing and others.

Ignoring the buzzwords “pipewire” and “flatpack” for a moment, the actual specification for some of the functionality does align with some core functions of Sailfish OS (others are geared more towards proper desktops and can be ignored.).

Flatpak grants sandboxed applications talk access to names in the org.freedesktop.portal.* prefix. One possible way to use the portal APIs is thus just to make D-Bus calls. For many of the portals, toolkits (e.g. GTK) are expected to support portals transparently if you use suitable high-level APIs.

To implement most portals, xdg-desktop-portal relies on a backend that provides implementations of the org.freedesktop.impl.portal.* interfaces.

Sounds familiar, huh? :slight_smile:

For more details, see the links.

IMHO, this presents an opportunity to move from Sailfishos-only interfaces to more widely-used ones, or, maybe, existing functionality can be kept as-is, but additionally be made available on these interfaces.
Thus we could benefit from implementations on other operating systems, applications, and toolkits, and increase interoperability and portability.

Just as an example, Lipstick already has the functionality of triggering a screenshot via DBus on org.nemomobile.lipstick, and this functionality could also be exposed as a Portal on org.freedesktop.impl.portal.Screenshot. Similar things cold be done for e.g. Screencasting, and some of the other specified interfaces.

Also, Applications under SailJail accessing DBus interfaces is a not-very-well-solved problem right now, and following parts of such a specification could help in this regard as well.

So,

• Purely looking at it from a design standpoint (disregarding implementation efforts for the moment): would Joll(a|yBoys) see any benefits to having some of this on SFOS at all?
  • I believe this could be an area where the community could help, if there is some highlevel guidance.

Links/References:

1. XDG Desktop Portal
  2. D-Bus Interfaces for App Developers - XDG Desktop Portal documentation
  3. D-Bus Interfaces for Desktop Developers - XDG Desktop Portal documentation
  4. Allow portal access non-flatpak sandboxes by WhyNotHugo · Pull Request #741 · flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal · GitHub

• Approx. time needed: 10min (or more)
  • Substitute (optional):

This topic is a copy of a late submission to the last meeting.

7 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: piggz
  • Topic: Unlock via dbus
    I made a fun little hack which allows a user to auto-unlock the phone if some configured BT device is connected (GitHub - piggz/harbour-smartunlock). Unfortunately it required a nasty hack in nemo-qml-plugin-devicelock to allow unlocking via dbus (GitHub - piggz/nemo-qml-plugin-devicelock at dbus-unlock), I can envisage a setup where the user enters the unlock code into some settings, and a dbus method that accepted the code could do the unlocking, which would be a bit better. This currently works great on the PInephones, but not on my phone which uses sailfish-devicelock-fpd. That closed part does link to /usr/lib64/libnemodevicelock.so.0 and exposes the same dbus method, but replies with an Auth error before hitting the modified code in MceDeviceLockAdaptor::setState() I think this is because it statically links the library, so my override in the dynamic lib doesnt work. Would you be interested in adding some real way to auto-unlock a device? What are your thoughts on this? My use case is to not need to unlock the phone if it know im “close by” … eg, if connected to my watch or my car"
  • Approx. time needed: 10 mins?
  • Substitute (optional): I probably wont make the meeting, its xmas time afterall, but interested in what you think
5 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: poetaster
  • Topic: Inclusion of FolderListModel in harbour.
  • Some details about the topic: I recently, somewhat belatedly, noticed that I had disqualified a number of packages I already have in harbour by adding FolderListModel. (the labs one). Is it possible to allow this? Or am I missing an equally convenient mechanism. I have my ‘own’ python based version but that’s a hack.
  • Approx. time needed: 5 min.
  • Substitute (optional): I’ll be there.
1 Like
  • Name/IRC nick: Matias
  • Topic: AAS System Webview
  • Some details about the topic: SFOS AAS comes with Android System Webview version 83 which is 3.5 years old by now. This causes certain banking apps and potentially other Android applications that rely on a more recent version of webview to stop working and it’s also a bit of a security risk. Installing and activating a different webview implementation requires superuser rights (infeasible) or signature spoofing (which nobody seems to have tried in the context of webview yet). With the reorganization over I was hoping someone could shed some light on this.

• So, is there an update for AAS/Android System Webview somewhere down the pipeline?

Links/references:

1. Rabobank app stopped working
  2. Old Android WebView (74.x) --> update needed, ideas?
  3. Make updating Android (System)Webview possible
  4. GeckoView instead of Android System WebView · Issue #167 · mozilla/geckoview · GitHub

• Approx. time needed: 5min
  • Substitute (optional): I’m not sure if I will be able to make it, if not I will watch the logs.
6 Likes

Bug Reports

(by the community bug coordination team)

Missing Tracked-Tag

1. Do not open keyboard when tap edit on People app [regression to 3.2.1]

Can be closed

1. Wrong drop shadow on battery saving icon
  2. [Jolla Tablet] short tap on links in email content did not open SailfishOS Browser nor show select page
  3. Bluettoth connectivity from android app
  4. VoLTE on Xperia 10 II

New Bugs

1. Black screen glitch when unlocking the device with Android app
  2. English keyboards gets activated sometimes in browser without a reason
  3. Audio during call not routed to usb dac headset
  4. Edit number button not working after linking
  5. Duplicate music album in mediaplayer
8 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: Valorsoguerriero97
  • Topic: Mobile data in Italy with Xperia 10 III not working (4.5.0.24)
  • Some details about the topic: Mobile data not working under WINDTRE (ITALY) on 10 III. Same APN setting on my 10 works ok. Not here. I can only call and receive sms… not mobile data. What about this bug? Can you give me an estimated time for resolution?
  • Approx. time needed: 5 minutes
  • Substitute (optional):
  • Name/IRC nick: Louis
  • Topic: Jolla community dinner @ FOSDEM '24
  • Some details about the topic: There has been a Jolla community dinner after FOSDEM on Saturday in the previous years at non-COVID times. I personally miss the Moroccan restaurant La Kasbah (the host at 2019 and 2020) as I found it quite suited? Anyone from Jolla up for the planning or should it be done by time community. Also if anyone have better suggestions I’m open for it.
  • Approx. time needed: 10 minutes
  • Name/IRC nick: Louis
  • Topic: Jollas future plans regarding Alien Dalvik
  • Some details about the topic: What is the situation regarding Jolla and Alien Dalvik. Does Jolla have “enough rights” to expand the development and offering of Alien Dalvik to eg. community ports? (Eg. sell it under an “as-is” agreement without any official support from Jolla)
  • Approx. time needed: 10 minutes
5 Likes

Name/IRC nick: Louis
Topic: Mic issues under AOSP and SailfishOS (Xperia 10 ii + iii)
Some details about the topic: 3rd party caller my be able to hear their own voice due to a bug in AOSP. Any updates on this from Jolla? Echo during calls on Xperia 10 II using Loudspeaker and [LENA][11][4.19] Echo cancellation is not enabled for voice calls · Issue #771 · sonyxperiadev/bug_tracker · GitHub
Approx. time needed: 5 minutes

5 Likes
  • Name/IRC nick: piggz
  • Topic: Update on Sailflish on the Pinephone Pro
    Could jolla provide an update on how discussions have progressed with Pine64 regarding shipping SFOS on the PPP. Im aware that discussions took place, but progress on any issues seems to have been slow, probably due to the restructure. It would be good to see this through and see Sailfish available to this market.
  • Approx. time needed: 10 mins
  • Substitute (optional): As with my other topic, if i cant make it, please just provide an update.
8 Likes

it looks that we have already too many questions for tomorrow’s meeting. Let’s cover this one in the next community meeting.

Minutes: #sailfishos-meeting: Sailfish OS, open source, collaboration -- 11th Jan 2024
Minutes (text): https://irclogs.sailfishos.org/meetings/sailfishos-meeting/2024/sailfishos-meeting.2024-01-11-08.00.txt
Log: #sailfishos-meeting log

1 Like

The “Logs of previous meetings” is missing an entry for 2024 in the template, if it could be updated that would be appreciated :slight_smile: