Feedback on Jolla C2

We do, but there are non. File an issue at zendesk please.

2 Likes

On my Xperia 10 II, I often have to reboot the phone several times before it goes past the unlock screen. If it doesn’t stop spinning after maybe 10 seconds, I need to reboot and retry. Perhaps the C2 suffers from the same bug?

No, not he same. We never even got through the initial setup.

4 Likes

Hi, my C2 arrived yesterday. And as many others I first charged it fully. After starting and setting up I upgraded the device to 5.0.0.21

The phone is very big in comparison to what I’m used to. I was also able to install a lot of my daily used apps. But some I’m still missing:

• Chum-Gui
  • Pure Maps (could be installed but is not working)
  • OkBoard (After starting it tells me it was not installed correctly)

There might be some more but thats what I tried until now.

My biggest issue so far is telephony support:

• I was able to call others but the Display stucked the whole time with the message “Ringing” and the call-timer did not start.
  • Incoming calls where ignored completely. On the other side people hear the ringing signal but my C2 did nothing.

I hope the next update will fix this.

One minor issue is the display rotation. For me it seemed to work only sporadically.

I have not got mine yet. Still eagerly reading these experiences. @WilliePre there is a mention that SIM card was not inserted when the phone became locked. Do we have experience if inserting the SIM card could affect somehow the first boot?

I received mine yesterday (DHL driver did his job) and here’s what I experienced:

• it took about one week for delivery
  • phone was turned off and charged at 50% when I opened the box
  • didn’t insert any SIM and charged the device to 100% before initial boot
  • at initial boot I set a 6 digit numeric device lock
  • touchscreen worked fine entering the digits
  • WiFi was connected to 2.4 GHz access point
    • I noticed that 2.4 GHz reception is much weaker on C2 compared to Xperia 10 II
    • I had to change rooms and stay next to my access point for good RX/TX
  • Android app took quite long for installation until I found out about the weak 2.4 GHz receptions (2 MBit/s rate!)
  • I didn’t reboot the device and continued with recent 5.0.0.21 OS update download
  • after OS update had been downloaded I restarted the device for the first time
  • device unlock screen accepted my 6 digit code and OS upgrade starts as expected
  • upgrade went fine, no touchscreen issues before and after the update

The bigger screen estate is something you need to get used to but once you brain had been adopted to this format it’s quite strange to look back on the smaller Xperia 10 screen. However, looking at the C2 screen I realized that Sony’s 21:9 format had been always something that didn’t fit for SailfishOS or even stock Android. It’s too small and too long and the more I look at C2 screen the more it annoys me going back to 10 II because of it.

The build quality of the C2 device is top notch and feels quite premium in your hands. However, some UI stuff needs to be fixed for the notch and rounded screen corners but these are minor issues. I hope that Jolla, given access to the underlying vendor blobs, can improve the usage of the Mali GPU to get less stutter when scrolling lager lists or webpages.

Now, for the first release of SailfishOS on the new Reeder hardware I think the future looks bright!

I keep my fingers crossed for all fellow sailors that run into device lock issues that there will be some hotfix for you real soon.

15 Likes

I suspect that somehow some of the phones was turned on just before or even during the delivery and that discharged the battery. Any file operation is dangerous with empty battery, especially encryption process which influences whole partition at once.

Note that this is my guess which to me seems to fit the facts. But I might be very wrong.

4 Likes

@Jolla This might be a clue to what happened to me and others. I do not have a 2.4 GHz access point. My WiFi is 5 GHz exclusive. 2.4 GHz is turned of.
Don’t know if it helps, but it might be a clue.

The 808 was way better!

I had “Networking not available” (same as my PinePhone), not no networks found. And I have both 2.4 and 5 GHz (Zyxel VDSL) in the same room.

1 Like

Do you have some exact cases? Browser is known case, and earlier reported here refresh rate developer tool label and homescreen launcher hint were fixed already.

The question is: why were the phones packaged and sent having been powered on?
Sorry to say this, but this is a serious quality control failure…

1 Like

Depends on a real reason. There might be a strange bug or misconfiguration somewhere. Phone could power on during transport. Or almost anything else. I don’t dare to speculate. Especially as I might be totally wrong anyway.
We’ll see what the participants will say.

I’ll add that I understand as an electronic engineer. In such a new process where there is a lot of new variables it’s very human to miss something in a hurry. And we can read here how impatient many of us are.

2 Likes

I beg to differ, Reeder is not a new manufacturer, they should follow their normal process after flashing Android.

I think the risk here is more related to ways of working and quality controls from Reeder may not match other brands. I for example never heard of reeder until buying the C2.

1 Like

Remenber the well known bug that’s not possible to power off the Sony’s in a normal way (at least the X10, the 10-2 and 10-3 i don’t know), but one has to press and hold PWR + Vol UP until the vibrator comes 3 times. Otherwise the device will reboot immediately. This bug is not fixed until 4.5.0.24. Maybe this bug still persists and also on C2. @Jolla ?

Did someone look up the uptime of the phone to check if this was the case?

AFAIK the flashing is carried out by Jolla itself.

If that’s the case I seriously hope Jolla comes forward and even if not “standard procedure” they show with a way to fix the bricks at home rather than having no solution…

that being said I’m happy to be still waiting for my phone, I now know what set up conditions caused issues so I can try my best to not mess it up.

Still the case on my xperia 10
Pretty bad for the battery :frowning:

1 Like

Same situation for me. It is supposed to arrive today.
I will plug it, wait until full charge, light some candles, pray to all the saints I know and…hope for the best.

3 Likes

Seems like we need to open some books and find some extra saints just in case :rofl:, I’m quite concerned about breaking it without really doing anything too unusual.

1 Like