Bugs in Patchmanager ≥ 3.1.0

Oh, I surely clicked on the wrong reply. Anyway, yes I installed it from OpenRepos (it was before installed from chum).

Strangely they appeared after I installed Patchmanager from OpenRepos.

1 Like

I am not so sure, because it happened to me a couple of times, too. I suspect a bug in Discourse, but was never sure, if it was not me clicking “wrong”. When I deleted a post and replied again, it appeared to work fine (but I do not remember, if “most of the time” or “all the time”).

Anyway, yes I installed it from OpenRepos (it was before installed from chum).

Thank you very much, especially as you ran an explicit test!

1 Like

Hm that shouldn’t happen automatically, but I have a hunch why it did, and its related to how openrepos works.
You can safely uninstall them.

BTW any idea when version 4.5.0.16 will be available to pick up in compatible version on patchmanager website?

I suppose you intend to address Patches in Patchmanager’s Web Catalog: This is a task the author of each Patch has to do and completely unrelated to Patchamanager or the Web Catalog proper.

What you can do is use Patchmanager’s setting to switch off the version check.

Wait you should do is to contact the authors of your favourite Patches to test these on SailfishOS 4.5.0.16 and mark them as compatible to it. As then source code of most Patches are hosted at GitHub, I am sure contributions are welcome, because “will be available” is “never” if nobody does it.

I’m sorry it seems I wasn’t clear enough. The problem is that right now the patchmanager website allows me to set 4.4.0.72 as the highest compatible version. There’s no 4.5.0.16 in the ComboBox, see sshot:
Screenshot from 2023-02-04 15-08-34

Even with the check off, the FinerVolume Control patch won’t run

i tried adding the almalinux repo with zypper and then install patchmanager 3.2.7-1, but it wants me to uninstall pretty much every other package i have on my system :see_no_evil:

Don’t! Never.

1. Off topic here
  2. Do read the help texts in Patchmanager

… and you still are not: It is Patchmanager’s Web Catalog you intend to address, Patchmanager’s website is here.

Please use either correct terms or web-links to express yourself unambiguously.

Yes, so someone had to pose a pull request. Why didn’t you?

1 Like

For someone that’s not working with something on daily basis it’s not that easy to learn everything at once. And even if I’d learn everything, using it like once per year or even less would result my mind to get rid of useless knowledge. That’s why I said sorry and pasted sshot.

let’s say that I will assume that there’s no bold on the word you. Otherwise I’d think you’re trying to be mean and we don’t want to think like this, right?
So to your knowledge, I couldn’t/can’t do a pull request because:

• I didn’t knew such thing is required
  • I don’t have github account and there’s no way I’ll make one just for this
1 Like

It’s only your vision of how development of Free Software should be done, but how it’s handled depends on the owner of a project. Also Free Software doesn’t mean Open Source Software, these are not synonyms.
And trust me I know how to create account, it’s just I won’t do this it’s that simple.

I never said anything like that.
And I think you wrote to much for today.

If I can’t do something then yes I inform someone else about the problem and I’m trying to help as much as I can up to the point where I can’t do anything else because something is standing on my path. In this case it’s github account.

It is definitely not “only my vision”, Git is used by the vast majority of the FLOSS world, today.

I can assure you that these two terms are synonyms for most FLOSS developers, it is a minority of splitters who insist that there has to be a difference.

You actually did.

As stated before: Everyone is free to think anything. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Obviously it is only you “standing on [your] path” (or rather blocking it) due to your self-imposed prohibition (or maybe inhibition) not to use GitHub. AFAIK there are people who really cannot use GitHub due to US-sanctions (Iranians etc.), hence there is a crucial difference between “I cannot” and “I do not want to”.

This meanwhile is possible, 4.5.0.16 has been added thanks to @coderus swiftly updating the catalog.

I have updated that, and other patches. See here

2 Likes

While I usually do not insist on correct attribution of my contributions, in this case my reaction would have been unfounded if not …

2 Likes

Patchmanager 3.2.7 and SFOS 4.5.0.19
can’t install incompatible patches even with Version Check set to “No check”
When I tap to install I got

This Patch is incompatible with the installed SailfishOS version.

Actually it works but it’s broken :smiley:
First to be able to install patch from the catalogue I need to set the Version Check to “Strict”. Then I need to change it back to “No Check” to activate the patch.

Yes, current version has this bug, sorry.

It has been fixed in the source and that fix should be in the next version.

See also: [Patchmanager] PSA about a small bug in "incompatible" patch handling

nah :slight_smile:

Post must be at least 20 characters.