About redesigning incoming call experience in 3.4.0

I already missed two calls, because the call screen doesn’t work as expected, instead of taking the call i am swiping it away, that never happened before with the old incoming call screen

4 Likes

I kept missing calls so I went back to Torronsuo. The vertical pulley menu gives a little push so you know how far you can scroll upwards or downwards. I don’t remember if there are pushes in the new horizontal menu or not. Can anyone tell?
If Jolla decides to keep the new interface, I would suggest to apply green and red buttons for picking up or refusing a call. It’s not Sailfish, but certainly more simple and clear than a horizontal swipe menu.
But actually I hope that the option for the original pulley menu will return.

4 Likes

I’m working on patch, but it’s little hard/unpractical to experiment and test it because I don’t have second SIM card, so I must annoy someone else to call me. Does someone know how to invoke incoming call screen from terminal? (fake call) probably command voicecall-ui with some parameter?

Anyway, I tested that it is possible to install and use on SFOS 3.4 older packages “voicecall-ui-jolla” and “voicecall-ui-jolla-settings” from SFOS 3.3 to have the good old incoming call screen with pulley menus.

2 Likes

Maybe using the tutorial might be a solution. IIRC it hat something with calls too.

Just a side note, many customized Android call UIs are not intuitive to Android users, neither…

7 Likes

@Kuba77 I guess you made a copy of these packages on 3.3 prior to upgrading ? Or is it possible to fetch older versions from the store repo?

Yes, but it is a PITA.
See here.

Clearly it seems that a lot of people are upset with changes that are being made.

I myself after so many years using Jolla/Sailfish and even buying a Jolla phone have stopped using Jolla/Sailfish based on the change of the closing app swipe. Now to close an app you have to find the tiny edge channel when I have for years swiped in the middle of the phone. I hate the new closing app swipe and unfortunately will not go back to using it until I have the option to choose the middle to close an app.
Clearly the people approving these ‘new’ design changes need to smarten up and stop mucking around with the os.

4 Likes

I understand you, I went back to android because I had some problems with version 3.4 and it did not work well, and well with the call, I was very uncomfortable answering with one hand. I installed lineageos with android 10 and I was surprised that you could respond with a vertical swipe, as the sailfish had done before, I loved it, it is much easier to answer a call like that.
now i wait sailfish 4 for install it.

Yes, I did copy of these packages before upgrade to 3.4. But I found that this solution have disadvantage, running Storeman to update packages from Openrepos also updates the voicecall-ui-jolla packages to actual version from 3.4.

1 Like

I finally have working patch :slightly_smiling_face: so maybe at the weekend I will release it. Only one more thing, Jolla deleted some strings from translation for SFOS 3.4 (e.g. “Pull down to answer”, “Pull up to silence”) so I must force these texts in English instead of translatable strings which don’t exist in 3.4 or I don’t know how better solve it.

2 Likes

@Kuba77 according to translation, maybe you should try to do it like in this patch? https://github.com/ichthyosaurus/sailfish-public-patch-sources/blob/master/sfos-patch-notes-sections/unified_diff.patch

1 Like

I have two devices, an XA2 and an XA2+. I love bigger screens, but the last one has a broken card slot. The XA2 is on Torronsuo, the Plus is updated to Pallas-Yllastunturi. When switching sim I can compare the interface of incoming calls. I am willing to change but concerning the calls, the change is not practical. I hold my phone in the left hand, so my thumb is on the left around the side of the device and my fingers are around the right side. Which means that I always have to swipe towards my thumb or fingers. And this is why I miss calls: thumb or fingers stop the swiping and I do not succeed in swiping far enough in order to answer the call.
The contemporary gesture is hybrid. Better use a button only, or use a pulley menu.

But that change occurred five years ago! It’s been the way it is now for more than twice as long as the way it was before!

1 Like

No, five years ago the swipe-down-to-close gesture was made optional and disabled by default (it could be enabled in preferences). It was with 3.0 IIRC that it was moved to the edges.

2 Likes

You’re right, my bad!

2 Likes

Even without proper translation I would highly appreciate to have the beloved behavior available again :innocent:

3 Likes

Jolla team, I really tried changing my sim and exercising the new interface, but it still doesn’t work for me.

2 Likes

Dear all,
just wanted to add one experience:
on 3.4, just before 4.0 update i would have this cool bug:

• incomming call.
  • i swipe to accept
  • phone shows login screen
  • have to login
  • then can accept the call

just remove the ugly big green box during the call accept swipe and i’m fine
am still below 50 and able to adapt :smiley:

3 Likes

Here is finally the patch :slight_smile: for now still with some forced english texts. And sorry for the delay.
https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/return-old-incoming-call-screen

7 Likes