[4.3.0.12] Jolla camera (also torch) does not start at all - as well as videos do not play

Worked for me.
adaptation-common is in “Enabled repositories (global)”.

1 Like

Thanks. In my case I had this “store” repo in the enabled user repositories. Wheresoever that came from:

- store           ... https://store-repository.jolla.com/h4113/armv7hl/?version=4.3.0.12

I saw exactly the same behaviour (“store” repo) on another XA2 device. So this was not a special case.

Same on my XA2 with 4.3 No torch, no camera app working. I removed the advanced camera app but this did not help.

Does the solution work for you?

It may be safe, but didn’t work (with devel-su) on my XA2+ with Suomenlinna.
adaptation-common is in the “Enabled repositories (global)”
I updated coming from 3+ and it’s unbelievable that Jolla still hasn’t fixed this after a month.

If I do
ssu rr <repo name>
I get
WARNING: ssu.ini does not seem to be writable. Setting values might not work.

Are you sure we shouldn’t do:
devel-su
ssu rr <repo name> ?

Enfin, I just did just that but the ‘funny’ thing is that if I do
devel-su
ssu rr adaptation-common
ssu lr
adaptation-common is still in the
Enabled repositories (global):
- adaptation-common ... https://releases.jolla.com/releases/4.3.0.12/jolla-hw/adaptation-common/armv7hl/
- adaptation-0 ... https://store-repository.jolla.com/features/4.3.0.12/appsupport/armv7hl/
In other words, I don’t seem to be able to even remove that repository, hence I can’t re-install it either.

By the way, there is another non-jolla repository in Enabled repositories (global): and that’s
- mentaljam-obs ... https://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:/mentaljam/4.3.0.12_armv7hl/

But even with devel-su I can not remove when I do
devel-su
ssu rr mentaljam-obs
as it, too, stubbornly reappears in `ssu lr’ listing.

Possibly related…possibly not, but, I lost the option for Flash on when shooting video, this was on my Jolla1’s camera which occurred after updating the OS several releases back. A reset of the dconf camera path fixed the problem.

dconf reset -f /apps/jolla-camera/

Out of curiosity, I did a dump from dconf on my Xperia 10 ii, I wonder if it may reveal problems for other users by comparing a dconf dump from their device.

dconf dump /apps/jolla-camera/ > xperia10iidconfdump.txt

The above line of code, writes a text file containing the dconf dump of camera settings, name it what you like as long as it ends in .txt, then you can read it or send it elsewhere for further scrutiny.

backCameraLabels=['1.0', '2.0', '0.6']
captureMode='video'
deviceId='1'
exposureCompensation=1
landscapeCaptureButtonLocation=5
portraitCaptureButtonLocation=3
previousBackFacingDeviceId='1'
previousStoragePathStatus=0
qrFilterEnabled=true
saveLocationInfo=false
whiteBalance=0

[back/image]
aspectRatio=1
flash=1

[back/video]
aspectRatio=1
flash=2
viewfinderGrid='none'

[front/image]
aspectRatio=0

[primary/image]
captureMode=1
exposureMode=1
exposureModeValues=[1, 2, 3, 6, 23]
flash=2
iso=3200
meteringMode=1
meteringModeValues=[1, 2, 3]
timer=0
viewfinderGrid='none'
viewfinderGridValues=['none', 'thirds', 'ambience']

[primary/video]
captureMode=2

exposureMode=1
exposureModeValues=[1, 3, 6]
flash=2
iso=0
meteringMode=1
timer=0
viewfinderGrid='none'

[secondary/image]
captureMode=1
exposureMode=1
exposureModeValues=[1, 2, 3, 6, 23]
flash=2
iso=0
meteringMode=1
timer=0
viewfinderGrid='none'

[secondary/video]
captureMode=2
exposureMode=1
exposureModeValues=[1, 3, 6]
flash=2
iso=0
meteringMode=1
timer=0
viewfinderGrid='none'

end of dump.txt

Just, where it belongs!
So nothing to worry/do.

That is another story and (looking-for-next-fanboy-bash-or-censoring:) another real mismanagement of how updates are spit out to ‘normal users’. With a mistake that camera, torch, videos (and more?) were not working you (the ‘normal user’) was left alone for over two weeks (@deusexbeer many thanks for bringing up the workaround!, @abranson, thanks for correction). And even then you need cli experiences and root rights to correct.
Not to speek about that a ‘fix’ would only come maybe with the next release in 3-6 months!

You should read my comment

Only if added manually you need to remove.
If it is in global, everything fine.

Mentaljam-obs is related to Storeman (inside global).

And ssu rr removes only repos from user section.

Ok, so that explains that.
But why does the work-around not work in my case?
Yes I know, that’s an unfair question. :grin:

By the way: do you even know any ‘normal user’ that uses Sailfish OS?
My guess is that (successfully) flashing SFOS on your device immediately removes one from that category. Notwithstanding that, it should just work and if not, be fixed quickly.

Maybe because -as you did not read above - you also did not read that?

This forum -as well as the former one- is full of posts/questions/help calls of people not aware of necessity to become root in cli (have enabled developer mode, set up ssh …) to get this thing running. So yes.

And to be honest -not meant disrespectful!- is this here not the best example?

Yes. Flashing is always a solution (as often proposed by put-in-some-word-here. NOT!

YES.

Did you update/verify the system after the repository fix? E.g. with sofs-upgrade SFOS does not fix itself unfortunately

Thank you for your kind help. If I try sfos-upgrade I get:
#sfos-upgrade
Notice: Less than 1 GiB (864140 KiB) free space on the root filesystem!

Now what?

Another missed read?

I humbly apologize for not having followed your advice but rather that of @abranson , who used the word ‘we’ (“There’s a bug in ssu that we didn’t think affected public releases…”), making me think he had a part in producing SFOS.
Please don’t feel offended by going by his advice and not yours.
I’m just trying to enjoy a non-google/apple phone even with my amateurish level of understanding and I came here for help in realizing that ideal.
I do not know what exactly it is that I said to p*ss you off like that but take my word for it that it was absolutely not meant to have that effect.
Thanks for your help too.

I thought I deleted that post…

And I am absolutely not p*ssed off by you
(sorry if this left you with such feeling) but the way these updates are sent out to users like you. And the way users like you are left alone with letting them solve that on their own using root privileges (possibly not even knowing what they are typing or blindly copying).

Ok.
After getting that low-space warning in sfos-upgrade I chose zypper ref, zypper dup and that updated about 168 packages (I wonder why as my 4.3.0.12 update ended without error messages) and the camera works. Apparently you know better than the guy that I thought was from Jolla.
Thanks.

Regarding the ‘discussion’ above I summarize @deusexbeer, @abranson, @peterleinchen advices and put the solution pointer to this here:

devel-su; 
ssu rr adaptation-common; 
rm -r /var/cache/ssu/; 
ssu ur; 
pkcon refresh; 
version --dup; 
#sync; reboot;
3 Likes