[Release notes] Tampella 5.0.0.21 for Jolla C2

Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.

Version history of the OS release

• 2024-10-24: OS version 5.0.0.21 “Tampella” was released for the Jolla C2 community phones as an over-the-air update.

PLEASE NOTE

The security code of Sailfish OS is a minimum of 5 digits or characters. It is used for the device lock and home area encryption and is set at the beginning of the first startup. If you decide to use an external keyboard at this point (it is not recommended), bear in mind that you do not set a code shorter than 5 characters.

New community phone Jolla C2

• deliveries of the new Jolla C2 Community Phone started to the first batch customers in October 2024
  • Sailfish OS (5.0.0.5) was pre-installed on the Jolla C2 phones at the factory
  • This OS update, 5.0.0.21, is intended for the C2 phones only. Other phones will get the Sailfish 5 later.

Release highlights

The list below contains the major improvements of 5.0.0.21, compared to the release installed on the phones.

• Browser engine upgraded to ESR91. Thank you ‘flypig’ and the Community contributors
  • Home view, Events view, Alarm view (clock and calendar alarms), and Lock screen rotate to landscape (if enabled in “Settings > Display > Rotating homescreen”)
  • All Jolla default apps rotate to landscape
  • Blocking of incoming calls from preset numbers. Set them in call history, contact cards and Settings > Apps > Phone.
  • UI translations updated
  • Internet sharing (hotspot) fixed
  • “2.0” Camera label replaced with “M” (for macro)
  • New ambiences
  • Handing touches at the right edge of landscape Fingerterm fixed.

Sailfish OS Forum: issues reported by the community fixed in this update

Technical changes

The detailed changelog is here.

Updating your device

By installing this update you accept the updated The Sailfish OS End User License Agreement.

The usual update process

Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account.

Start the update from “Settings > Sailfish OS updates”. Avoid running updates on the command line, please.

We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space for your device’s internal storage ( /home ) before starting the update. Processing an OS update of almost 1 GB requires a good amount of work area. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or your PC or cloud service).

This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:

Back up your data before an attempt to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is being processed. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. The device screen may get blank during the update process; you may wake the display with a short power key press to monitor the progress.

For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Sailfish OS Documentation.

NOTE 1:

Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.

NOTE 2:

After downloading an update and selecting “Install” in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. You will need to type the security code before the actual installation can start. A horizontal progress bar appears on a black background, under the Sailfish OS logo. When the other end of the bar has been reached the phone will restart automatically. If it doesn’t, please wait for 15 minutes. If it is still stuck at the 100% point of the progress bar it is time to perform forced power off . Next, turn the phone on with the power key and check the OS version at “Settings > About product”.

NOTE 3:

The Jolla Shop has the images of the latest OS release only. Keep the previously downloaded ones stored on your computer if you should want to reflash one of them later on.

Notification concerning apps from Open Repos

• Compatibility with the release 5.0.0 has not been verified yet. Early Access users, please report

Some apps from Open Repos have been reported to cause problems when installing OS updates. Read the recent comments on those apps.

• Call recorder has caused serious problems. We recommend uninstalling that app before the OS update. Read this comment, please.

Known issues

• VoLTE not yet included. Please disable 4g in mobile network settings to make calls work correctly.

How did the upgrade go?

• I had no issues during the upgrade process
  • I had small issues but was able to handle them
  • I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)
  • I did not dare or want to update

0 voters

Help articles

The Sailfish OS help articles are available at Sailfish OS Documents repository.

21 Likes

Great work, thanks. The new browser is welcome :clap:

6 Likes

Updated and no issues :clap: Does this have any of the VoLTE bits or will that be in another update? Didn’t see any mention of it so I’d assume not.

I am scared to start the device for the first time and to try to update it to 5.0.0.21, in view of the non-responding screen bug… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

So we have release notes for 5.0.0.21, but will we have list of changes in OS 5 overall? :grin:

2 Likes

We will as soon as the update from 4.x to 5.x goes online probably.

3 Likes

Updated and no issues with the update process :clap:
Unfortunaly I have a problem with sending SMS. Where is the right place to report the problem?

Reported already as part of VoLTE testing. Are you part of that group?

I would use Bugger, if not already reported.

1 Like

Hi josh, send you an PM.

Can’t get chum yet on SFOS 5, at least in my experience trying. Different version of libpackagekitqt5.

You could download Bugger rpm and side load.

Just updated successfully, no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

Updated without any issues, still the camera takes only photos, video isn’t working. The icons of the Aurora Store and F-Droid appeared into the application screen.

Yea reported the issue with video [Jolla C2] Camera freezes when taking video

I hope it will get fixed in an update soon.

1 Like

Will other models get this update
?

Coming to other phones in some stage later.

Note this in the release notes above :point_up_2:

5 Likes

Hello everyone, the joy of receiving this new Jolla quickly gave way to a first problem, I turn on the phone, I start the language configuration, the battery beep sounds, the time I go to get the charger, the phone turns off, when restarting it returns to the country selection page but no longer the possibility of choosing and validating the country.
Any idea of ​​reboot?

An idea yes, but not knowledge, as I don’t have a C2:

My ideas are:
Try long press and hold Power button and Vol up until something happens (if it will),
Try long press and hold Power button and Vol down until something happens (if it will),

As I read here, nobody reported upon this until now.