Xperia III, IV, or V What is the best phone for Sailfish OS with VoLTE

Hi,

I have been using UBports, but it doesn’t support VoLTE at all. I am considering moving over to Sailfish. From what I read I need a Sony Xperia. Also, how well does VoLTE work in the current version?

Thanks!

This moment we don’t yet know for IV and V as there is no official release yet. But it’s expected within a month according to presentation on Jolla Love day 2. I can hardly wait for that as I have to deal with Andy for now.

VoLTE works with many providers on the 10 III.
Since Sauna also 5G ist supported.
Your mileage may vary but with Vodafone Germany I am quite happy.
Will travel to Denmark, Sweden and Norway soon and will see how good roaming will work.

1 Like

Somewhere I thought I read that it was going to support for the IV and the V soon, but I can’t find that now. Thanks!

I would be very interested in hearing how well it works outside of Germany. Thanks!

I found this link: Supported Devices | Sailfish OS Documentation

I used a search for “VoLTE” and found this

Yes, I would be happy to let you know what I find. The whole idea behind buying a Xperia 10 III is to try SFOS with VoLTE turn on.

VoLTE works flawlessly with Vodafone Germany but 5G is sort of suspicious. I’ll keep testing. There were cases where I switched off VoLTE while roaming esp. in rural areas in Europe. But most of the time it just worked.If it happens to fail you won’t actually notice anything except when checking the settings.

In Italy, there is no way to get VoLTE working.
You won’t even have data working at all with Xperia 10 III with Vodafone and WindTre networks.

Sadly I haven’t been to Italy since summer 2021. (Shame on me!)
Roaming with my Vodafone SIM worked well AFAIR.
But esp. VoLTE seems to be very provider specific and support seems to vary from device to device in different areas. Europe, they said, universal roaming, they said… :frowning:

1 Like

A while ago dcaliste shed some light into the inner workings of VoLTE on SFOS and specifically the issues which lead into this inconsistent experience across network operators. Here’s the link to his summary on the topic, which I think is good reading for anyone interested in the matter.

4 Likes

Assuming it works well in Finland, too -
Chances are it will work just as well in all Nordic countries (they have some sort of collaboration wrt mobile networking going on)

VoLTE is working fine here (KPN, the Netherlands), but I’m also having odd issues on 5G: My phone often stays connected to 4G despite 5G being available; and when “Prefer 5G” is selected, call recording often doesn’t work from what I’ve tried.

All is fine as long as “Prefer 4G” is selected for me!

I recently went down the rabbithole on a friend’s 5G router. It’s in the countryside and I was suspicious if 5G is even available, as the salesperson claimed.

There are no 5G towers around there. But.

Turns out there is a special mode where the device connects to 2 4G towers, and it’s still called 5G. However, there was only 1 (4G) tower available and it was a little unclear if the device then still claims a 5G connection becauseit potentially could connect to a 2nd tower.

So, it could just be an issue of reporting the connection differently. At least some of the time.

2 Likes

5G standalone or non-standalone?
The preference is presumably about standalone, whereas non-standalone is more of a “if you need it” sort of thing.
I think some phones cheat quite a lot with the technology indicator - though i suppose SFOS would follow that from Android to some extent.

All three masts in my vicinity are Huawei RRU5815’s, they were all placed there last month, but they support both SA and NSA…, other than that it says “Transmission: Glass. Has an RRU5815 in each sector for 8T8R 3500MHz. 1.5m 2L5H antenna with single set of cluster ports.” does that give you a clue? I’m more familiar with WiFi than mobile :yum:

And yeah I read about the cheating thing regarding what icon to show in the status bar and for providers to promote their networks as 5G where really it’s more 4G still… well, I rarely use mobile for data, and I know 5G is supposed to consume more battery, so I’m happy to leave it at 4G if it solves my issues and still allows VoLTE!

1 Like

Supports does not equal has configured. I’d be surprised if there was a single radio that did not support both - the distinction happens higher up the stack. So not much to go on at all really.

The power consumption is always a problem initially, before the optimizations roll around. 5G is at least designed to be more lean, i.e. with less mandatory overhead.

Indeed… so, to answer your original question: I suppose either the network is non-standalone; and the phone falls back to 4G because 5G is not needed at that point and all is working as intended, except the issue with call-recording; though that’s probably anecdotal on my end.
Or the network is either SA or NSA, but the phone or OS has some (compatibility-) issues and is swapping network modes randomly because of it! :man_shrugging:

Czech Republic: O2, Xperia 10 III

For quite some time now (I very rougly estimate one year) the only way to have working calls is with VoLTE enabled, without it the other party won’t be able to reach me and only afterwards will I receive a notofication SMS of the fact.

Unfortunatelly sending SMS works only with VoLTE disabled which is frustrating and embarassing.

BTW I didn’t realize 10 III has 5G until the latest update.

1 Like