Xperia 10 IV vs Xperia 10 V

No, 10 III is not fine. I have had one for 1.5 years and was not yet able to use it since it does not with my carrier.

1 Like

100%
But how much does jolla actually make from licenses? I don’t think they mentioned any numbers.
If we just estimate from the community here that most have an older or an unsupported device, I believe that a new device (meaning the license sales) will cover for 1-2 persons salary for a month to be honest…
If they never get a device running SFOs out of the box, I think they don’t have any hope getting more people other than the tiny niche market that they have with some of us here.

Are you sure it’s the device? It’s a 5G device so i think it’s very unusual that it doesn’t work in your carrier with the android that it ships.

1 Like

Out of pure interest, does anyone know which exactly brands/products use the Jolla Android support for automotive?

3 Likes

The Xperia 10 V will have 6 mb ram like the IV and the III, not 8 as mentioned multiple times above! :nerd_face:

1 Like

That sure was a while ago…

2 Likes

There’s another more expensive version with more storage and 8GB of ram.

Ps. Actually there’s a chance that the next option only has more ram and no extra storage.
Let’s see when it’s available.

1 Like

Except for that there will also be an 8 GB version.

2 Likes

I’ve done that and can’t confirm your statement that there are two newer binary releases.
This are the binaries we use:

One can see that for android 11 we are using the youngest binaries available (Feb. 2022).

For Version 8 (v8, Dec. 2021) and Kernel 4.19 there is one younger binary package available (Edo):

Further available Version 7 (v7) binaries (Sep. 2021):

Or am I getting something wrong? If so could you further explain your statement why you assume we are not using the latest binaries, please?

1 Like

You are comparing the Xperia 1 with the Xperia 10!

1 Like

Thanks … blurry eyes.

Anyway, DKK 3999 is quite a bit more than I paid (DKK 2500) for a 10iii when they were on sale at El-Gigant which seems like quite a while ago.

If it really is such a big effort on top (to just support the V) to officially support the IV (and it will be skipped) then at least i hope, if one time in the feature the binaries for the iv and android 13 have been released, someone at Jolla will try to run the release for V on an IV and check, how much effort it would be to support it officially, just from an economic point of view.

2 Likes

Not two but three. Also, why would objective facts need your confirmation?

After the Android 11 binaries from February 2022 which are used by SFOS, for the “Lena” platform (i.e. the 10 III) Sony then released:

Where did I ever say that I am talking about Android 11 based binaries only? And why would SFOS in your opinion be limited to only using Android 11 binaries? Of course, if only Jolla had the will for that and the required resources, they could update 10 III’s SFOS to use those newer Android 12 or 13 based binaries as well.

1 Like

It is the match device + provider + SailfishOS. Changing either of the three, everything works.

1 Like

Doesn’t that mean that the device works perfectly fine with your operator but SFOs is missing something?
Cause I just checked the 10 iii/iv/v and all of them have the exact same 2G/3G/4G bands except 5G (that we don’t have anyway), that V has some more bands and that’s it.
I don’t see any chance for any newer Xperia 10 to work for you if 10 III with sailfish doesn’t work.

It’s a known issue with certain providers:

which Jolla never even started to tackle.

i had the same problem with Talkmobile (UK).

solved by changing provider to Vodafone. which isn’t really a ‘solution’.

1 Like

Repos for Xperia 10 IV showing up now.

1 Like

And still no official announcement. Apparently, there are still too many devices available at stores. It just can’t be that easy.

And of course we won’t know if or when the 10 V might be supported the very same way, i.e. until a few days before it happens (if ever). Because it just can’t be that easy, too.

There is a scheduled community meeting tomorrow, maybe an update there? The announcement probably comes when the port is finished or far come.