Xperia 10 iii can't enable mobile data on talkmobile use the same settings used on my XA2 Plus

The phone works with Vodafone Italy under Android, and Vodafone Italy works with other phones under SailfishOS. Therefore, it must be a borderline case that is badly managed by Xperia 10 III AOSP and is triggered only by specific providers.

I really don’t know:

I’m working under the assumption that the ofono component in SFOS that handles mobile data connections with telecom providers has a difficult job, i.e. there isn’t a single absolute methodology to hand-shake a 3G/4G/5G data service.

Jolla have probably spent their limited resources in getting the ofono component to successfully hand-shake a data connection with:
a) the most ‘standard’ connection types
b) the most popular telecom providers (where that is not the same as #1)

And what we have here is that TalkMobile is neither very standard, or very popular, and the ofono component simply does not yet support the quirks of this telecom provider. The billions android and ios have invested in them mean that they have long since covered these quirks - and to a degree their scale forces telecom providers to adapt to them (the chrome effect).

My hope is that the logs will reveal these quirks, such that ofono can be adapted to cover these edge-cases. But to a degree, this will always be a reactive effort based on user reported problems - given the resources Jolla have to develop the ofono component.

Warning - this is nothing but my speculation.

Note - that I have supported Jolla/SFOS despite the above being my understanding of the state of play. I believe that having alternative platforms is valuable.

I feel I do my bit in buying a SFOS licence for every Sailfish-X device that is released - despite me never using my XperiaX, never owning a Xperia 10, and perhaps never flashing my Xperia 10ii.

But this support cannot be sustained indefinately, i do need mobile data, and I am being told by Talkmobile that 3G services that my XA2 depends upon will be switched off in the New Year.

Fingers crossed…

Unfortunately, it’s still impossible to tell what’s wrong.

Some interesting stuff may (or may not) be hidden behind
systemd-journald[667]: Suppressed xxx messages from ofono.service

Data call status 4100 (the value probably coming from inside the modem) is even less informative than 50, it’s defined in Android binder API as OEM_DCFAILCAUSE_4, i.e. “something went wrong but we won’t give you any clue”.

1 Like

Thank you. Can we be pragmatic? Who can fix this? How much does it cost? Time and money?
I would not like to wait for months. Having an answer clear and upfront, is the best.

1 Like

Dear Jolla, we have already paid more than EU 300.- for the device, we have bought the license for the operating system, so it is natural that we have expectations.

Would we know who can fix this, how much time and money it will cost, it would help ‘us’ : we can wait and contribute. Needless to say, please test more before advertising a new device supported by SailfishOS.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the problem affecting us is most likely in Sony’s AOSP part. Jolla does contribute to it with lots of bugfixes though.

1 Like

Dear @slava since you maintain GitHub - sailfishos/ofono: Sailfish OS fork of https://01.org/ofono, wouldn’t you know what exactly is there to be done? Is it something a developer can fix? Is it something that, as @jameson mentions, depends on Sony? Folks, simplicity in communication matters.

1 Like

By the way, I did not back-up the DRM keys. This means that I cannot replay an Android on the device, right?

1 Like

DRM keys cannot be backed up on devices other than tne Xperia X since there are no exploits.
You will be able to restore Android but the protected features will no more be available.

2 Likes

Do we know what are the protected features on Xperia X 10 III?

Dear @jameson @emva @flypig @PeegeeTips @slava @senders, I strongly suggest that we try to tackle this issue together. We, end-users, that have bought an Xperia 10 III device and decided to flash SailfishOS on it, did so by choice. I guess we all know the risks and we are conscious about the benefits, and this is why we are here. Any polemic rhetoric won’t help. There are other serious problems in the world than a mobile phone device.

Let us try to gather pieces and see how we can collectively resolve the issue. This is the intention behind asking who can fix this, how much time would it take and how much would it cost. Isn’t for example the work done here Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia 1 and 5 (4.4.0.72) | XDA Forums relevant? Eventually, there are similar issues to tackle.

2 Likes

The solution requires putting hand to device-level code and having good knowledge of the communications stack. I understand that someone on some other topic around here might hope to solve the issue magically by switching SIMs, but the solution lies in finding (and fixing) the reason of the misbehaviour of the device with some providers.

1 Like

Out of curiosity @flypig did the logs I submitted reveal anything interesting?
i.e. some hint at at the cause of the problem.
I have had no feedback from Jolla support.

I have upgraded both my XA2 and the 10iii to SFOS 4.5:

Same settings used on my XA2 Plus work fine. Xperia 10 III handset was confirmed to have working telephony/mobile-data before device flashing. Xperia 10 III running 4.5 can make phone calls, shows “3.5G” and shows 40% signal on the sim icon on the desktop, and shows “TalkMobile” as enabled in the settings. It also shows as “Enabled” rather than “Connected”, and there is no double triangle icon next to the “3.5G” on the homescreen.

Using the settings that I successfully use on my XA2:
(ofono_2023-02-09_141328.tar.gz)
Data
Name: talkmobile.co.uk
APN: talktobile.co.uk
Protocol (IP or IPv6 or Dual): Dual
Authentication: PAP or Chap
Username: wap
password: wap

Using the settings provided to Flypig by TalkMobile:
(ofono_2023-02-09_142144.tar.gz)
Data
Name: TalkMobile
APN: TalkMobile.co.uk
Protocol (IP or IPv6 or Dual): IP (this is what you mean by “IPV4” right?)
Authentication: PAP
Username: wap
password: wap

Neither work. New ofono logs for both sets of settings supplied.
Only difference that I can see is that homescreen now shows “3.5G” rather than “3G”.

Today I tried a vodafone sim in the 10iii and it worked fine, including after a reboot.

In consequence, I have swapped my contract from Talkmobile to Vodafone.

1 Like

WoW! This is good to read. More details please! And, if there is time, some logs, settings, etc.

I’m a little disappointed it took swapping provider to get a working phone, but yes i can now use my new (8 month old!) phone.

Talk Mobile logs for 10iii(v4.5) have been supplied to Jolla support.

Are vodafone (UK) settings needed here?

Ah, ok, forgot it’s about Vodafone in UK!

1 Like

I think that the only way out of this is either to switch provider or to switch mobile phone.
Since there is no trace of work on the Xperia 10 IV, and for the Xperia 10 V port we need at least other 16 months, either I stick with the XA2 or I switch to Iliad.

1 Like