Xperia 10 II + SFOS

They don’t have the money to make a phone. And you need money to make something nice with all the latest bells and whistles.

1 Like

Ubports, Mobian etc… don’t have the resources either.

One reason I don’t understand why they don’t support the pinephone.

Both are community driven by volunteers. Jolla is a business and porting to a platform requires a business need.
There is community ports of Sailfish on the pinephone, thus similar to ubports and mobian.

4 Likes

I know! … … … … .

The Sailfish X community isn’t that small… I would like to be able to support it more (financially that is) in order to get a proper Bluetooth and VoLTE support out (and a lot of other, non-critical stuff), but we can only whine at the moment. Kinda sucks now that I think about it…

7 Likes

According to the changelog of the Koli upgrade, no new phone seems to be supported by SFOS :confused:

1 Like

Yeah, but I would stay Relaxed until it was not mentioned when the Release is going out of ‘EA’ to ‘normal released’ :wink:

1 Like

:sob: :sob: :sob:
I’ve recently sold all my previous SFOS devices to get enough funds to buy the X10ii and provision for the new license… Please @Jolla, we are waiting :sob:

2 Likes

I actually bought a 10 II in anticipation of there being Sailfish support, but after I got this text from AT&T the other week, even if Jolla supports it, I’ll probably never be able to use it in the US. I got the text the day after the deadline they mention, as otherwise I would have at least swapped my SIM into the 10 II, on the chance the IMEI would get marked as a device that would still be allowed on the network until 3g is fully sunsetted next year. I’m half-tempted to try the SIM swap even now, but given the unclear wording in the text and the sunsetting page, I fear the 10 Plus with my primary SIM will then stop working if I then try to swap the SIM back into it from the 10 II.

From the text I got on January 20th:

AT&T FREE MSG: Starting Jan. 19, if you try to switch your SIM card between your current cell phone and a device not compatible with our High-Definition Voice network, your service will be disrupted. For more information, visit att.com/3gsunset or see your AT&T store rep.

1 Like

Unfortunately with every passing year, 3G and now 4G technology is being replaced by VoLTE and 5G around the world. Unless Jolla does something to account for this, Sailfish won’t have a future. While February 2021 may Only affect ATT and Tmobile, February 2022 may affect Canada and Europe and so it goes.

1 Like

So, 3G is actually being shut down. Huh. Color me suprised!

Jolla, now would be a very good time to push the already existing VoLTE support out the door!

7 Likes

Any more news on this? Can’t wait to de-Google my phone and Sailfish looks like the only proper alternative right now.

1 Like

Take a look at this: https://sailfishos.org/content/uploads/2021/02/SailfishOS-HardwareAdaptationDevelopmentKit-4.0.1.2.pdf
(Chapter 2, Page 7)

Looks like there’s something coming soon™ :wink:

16 Likes

Very interesting Chapter 2.1… :wink:

2 Likes

similarly https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish_X_Xperia_Android_10_Build_and_Flash

3 Likes

tl;dr

X10 II is coming

What works:

audio, gps, bluetooth, wifi & internet sharing, modem, camera
fingerprint is known to work (but is not available for the community build)
USB networking

Known issues:

Selecting which camera to use is not what it should be yet
No audio during phone calls (but can be backported from https://git.sailfishos.org/mer-core/ohm/merge_requests/15 and https://git.sailfishos.org/mer-core/ohm-plugins-misc/merge_requests/35)
Touchscreen quite often stops working (to fix: lock the screen - suspend, then wake up)
Each boot makes speaker emit a frequency test
4 Likes

\o/ lets hope SOON™
Though the missing sound during calls is not very reassuring…

2 Likes

Do we already know what Xperia 10 II should it be? To find one prior the release?

And what about the Xperia 10 III which should be announced soon?

Ho and there is also a rumor of a 5.5" compact phone coming too…

1 Like

That’s great! Can’t wait for it to be released. Hopefully they can fix the call problem soon

You mean the call problem on XA2? :frowning: