Xperia 10 II + SFOS

10 Likes

Yes I feel you. They said “soon” (twice) two months ago.

3 Likes

Xperia 10 III is released next month. It will be harder to get the 10 II then.

3 Likes

But cheaper to get them second-hand!

2 Likes

Any updates on this? I got the Xperia 10 II specifically because it entered the Open programme and I saw on this forum that it would support Sailfish.

4 Likes

Probably it will be supported with the next OS update, which is announced for mid-february (but might still be postponed)

It would be a shame to release Sailfish for 10 II and then struggle to find places selling the phone. Is there any possibility of Jolla skipping 10 II and going straight to 10 III? I suppose it also depends on the open devices program at Sony.

2 Likes

Oh yes, then it takes two years to get it ready again, and once 10 IV comes out, we can skip III right and move to IV; and on and on the bandwagon goes… :slight_smile:

Meanwhile ill be stuck with my lovely series X with no android support grumbler grumbler

7 Likes

If Jolla doesn’t collaborate with Sony officially -meaning access to unreleased HW- don’t expect the newest phones to run SFOS. It takes time to port and iron the bugs.

8 Likes

Perhaps then February shall be the month of release, as II will be superseded by III.

We know that the “target” for the 4.0 release is before the middle of February.

The issue I see is that apparently Xperia 10 II got the update to Android 11 and afaik it is not adapted to the incoming SFOS based on Android 10. That will create some hurdles for some people at least :wink:

what are you talking about?
Sony has already released Android 10 blobs on which J is basing their port.

Last time I remember there was an issue with people upgrading their android base above SFOS requirements, who had to downgrade using emma tool.

It’s no biggy. Several tools are available to flash firmwares for Sony.

1 Like

It being a biggie or not; does this show an inherent hurdle, which is that of keeping up with Android?
I assume this is mainly on the hybris side? not the Alien Dalvik? Or perhaps both?

There’s a new bug found in Linux kernel, so we might get an exploit to get root to save TA partition with DRM keys.
So don’t rush to unlock the bootloader yet if you think you’ll want it.

4 Likes

It is true Jolla needs to find a way to use various different Android HALs especially as newer HALs usually fix bugs with drivers that are necessary for better photo quality, wifi, bt and battery.
The Xperia 10 Port shows the issue with using an outdated Android HAL. It creates a subpar SailfishOS experience due to bugs in the drivers.

As for the Xperia 10 II. I am not sure the Open Device Program Android 11 has been released.

2 Likes

Unless we reach a point where Jolla controls the whole SW stack - + get rid of hybris- there is always going to be trouble. The only way i can see this happening is an official collaboration with Sony. AFAI understand MFGs have access to the code/drivers. But i doubt something like this will ever happen.

4 Likes

Because Jolla does not mfc?