Xperia 10 II + SFOS

Me too. I’m ready to come back.

2 Likes

Hmm I was all ready to find a new or refurbished 10 II and come back to the fold, but then I saw on Twitter that Standby Screen isn’t yet supported in SFOS (obviously it’s not in my 1 and C because they have TFTs but I kinda assumed they had done it already for a newer device).

I guess I’ll have to keep an eye on release notes on the hopeful chance they implement it…
Then finally perhaps we will have a Nokia N9 10-year Anniversary Longboi Edition

6 Likes

@vitaminj someone mentioned to me, that the “LPL Glance screen” will show some information during standby - and even exists.
I did not try it by myself but something with mcetool low-power-mode, lpmui-triggering and ps-on-demand

2 Likes

The glance screen can be enabled and configured on any Sailfish device, by default it only shows for 10 seconds or so and then the screen blanks again, but you can easily set it up to be on at all times (like on the N9). The question is whether the OLED screen in the Xperia 10 II is suitable for that use and wouldn’t drain your battery. As I understand it, not all OLED screens are created equal.

2 Likes

Yeah there might be hardware capability concerns on top of just “is it OLED?” - I seem to remember the N9 screen was kicked down to an ultra-low refresh rate when switching to Glance Screen, too - or that was the explanation for the slight flicker when going to/from standby. Maybe it needs to support that?
Slightly worrying is that Sony haven’t got a Standby Screen as a feature on the Android side, so who knows, but there’s some evidence of people using 3rd party apps and not totally caning their batteries so fingers crossed?
But then equally I had a Nokia Lumia 620 which had a TFT screen and still had a glance mode, so who knows - maybe you just do it, turn the brightness right down and forget about your battery!

2 Likes

while OLED screens qualify for standby information due their low energy needs, they disqualify for long term continouos use because they degrade quickly (burn in) when lit.

Therefore, I would prefer a LCD screen (while typing on a XZ3 with great but burned-in OLED display)

2 Likes

LCD screens are less than ideal for glance screens since, unlike OLEDs, they need to turn on the whole lighting even to display a single dot.

LCD screens with a lot of local dimming zones (>2k) might be the best compromise—they would still consume more electricity than OLEDs in low-power mode, but it wouldn’t be an order of magnitude more that the current LCDs would, yet there would be no risk of burn-in.

I’d be willing to put up with 10-20% more power consumption on behalf of screen longevity.

I’d rather have the info displayed in alternating colours and moving slightly or at random over time.

I was thinking more in general, not necessarily burn-in just from LPM (the risk there is low to begin with due to super-low brightness + can be further reduced by moving it around the screen and alternating colors). Take any 2-3 year old OLED phone and run a burn-in test (various colors + grays in full screen) and you’ll easily see burn-in effects around the non-movable screen elements (status bars and such).

I like OLEDs but it is a fact they degrade quite fast and LCDs can look nearly as striking with some clever, super-granular local dimming without that risk.

Why such old model like 10II? And no 5G.

Because Sony’s 2021 models are not yet added to Sony Open Devices Program… so there’s no opensource software available for them, and no possibility to unlock the phones to install thirdparty os such as sailfishos.

Xperia 10 II is one of the latest supported devices in Sony Open Devices Program.

https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/supported-devices-and-functionality/

7 Likes

This is amazing news, but just as a PSA, since it has not been mentioned on this thread yet: the announce states that the free Sailfish OS version for the 10 II is coming soon™. The paid version with Aliendalvik support is coming later™.
So if you need Android apps on your phone hold your horses.

4 Likes

It’s the same with the XA2 if that will happen like you said.
For me I’m very happy about that news.
I loved SFOS on my Xperia X and before on my J1, JC and I love it on my JT, my XA2, my XA2 Plus and my X10. Biggest disadvantage on X10 is the very small battery and the fact that SFOS 4 consumes too much power…
And even I would love to have Sailfish on a Xperia 5 or even a Xperia 1 I remember the Jolla Phone at the beginning when 4G didn’t work or Jolla C had the wrong LTE bands for Germany activated. :slight_smile:
It was always enough for what I needed and it will be (hopefully)

2 Likes

That’s great to know! Hopefully it’s sometime this week, even if it’s just Early Access. Can’t wait!!!

2 Likes

I just got the X10 II today, it runs on Android 11 preinstalled. Is this ok or do I have to downgrade?

4 Likes

It’s okay and even recommended:

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012176974-Sailfish-X-for-which-device-models-is-it-available-

6 Likes

They also wrote some clarification on how licenses work, which is nice:
https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003837053

:warning: If I’m reading it right it is important to create a new account for every purchase if you consider selling (or donating) the device at some point. Failing to do so will mean you will lose the license and the person receiving the phone will have to acquire a new one if you don’t provide a store account along with the phone. :warning:

5 Likes

I do not see the need to put up yellow warning signs… It works like Windows OEM licencing.
(Better even since it lets you transfer between the same model)

2 Likes

Sorry, the last Windows I used was Version 3.11 I think. :grin:

My post was not meant as a form of criticism, I just wanted to make it clear, one has to create a Jolla account per device not per user because packing multiple devices into one Jolla account will only mean all licenses will be stuck permanently with one account and there won’t be a way to give away a single device later e.g. to someone who may be willing to try out Sailfish OS.

3 Likes