Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

That’s what I did already (only tiny bits though)

What I mean was some dedicated logging in certain situations or under defined circumstances for bug tracking, for instance.

You can contribute to the Bug Coordination Team’s efforts.

Try to keep bug report quality high, try to reproduce bugs, etc.

You can contribute to the Bug Coordination Team’s efforts.

This got me thinking, is there (or where is) a document for running those Sailfish OS Adaptation Repositories · GitHub repos on a phone?

At this point it doesn’t seem logical that Jolla would keep things much under wraps, as I think most of us would pay for Android support and generally not having to run a cobbled-up diy installation!

This shouldn’t permanently brick the phone anyway; you can always reinstall Android on it if you wanna.

Would something as simple as instructions help us help you? I for one am ready to temporarily sacrifice my phone just to see what happens!

What do you mean, running adaptation repos on a phone?

These are source code (and sometimes binary) repositories to build OS images to be flashed.

You can study the porting docs here:

…and if you succeed in building an image, you can try running it on a phone.

Yes: You need to have:

• Knowledge about development, Linux Kernel and OS
  • Fluency in Git, Github code-review process
  • Android™ Platform SDK
  • Observed IRC guidelines
  • That immense desire to have Linux in your pocket!
  • Patience and willingness to learn and fail; and learn what you did wrong.

And then you would have to read:

Slightly OT, but I really wonder how Jolla gains revenue at all. I’d guess they currently sell event less licenses than they have employees. I was really surprised when I heard about the positive balance last year!
With the current business model it will probably become hard to impossible to survive. At least they will have to support more (newer) phones to sell licenses again or maybe restrict the validity of licenses to maybe 2 years (or change to a subscription model). Let’s hope they’ll get the AlienDalvik for car manufacturers -project up and running and still have capacities to keep SailfishOS as a side project:)

1 Like

Probably licensing and industrial or something products.
I don’t think sailfish X licenses pay for anything. Even the tiny community that we have here mostly uses community ports on random devices.
Actually to make 5-6 million (gross) a year with the active sfos users, all of us would have to buy a license literally every 2-4 weeks.

But maybe I’m wrong and we have 10.000 new sailfish users that also buy licenses every month, who knows? :slight_smile:

I suppose soon we’ll discover that J was on Russia’s life support for the last several years.

Pretty much what you and emva said, thanks!

Do please note that nothing I asked implies that I will start working on this or anything, even though I’ve many times stated an interest in testing, but more so that someone with actual time on their hands can get a set of documents etc to get started.

I guess some of the work would be made easier by what Jolla has already provided.

Anyone have a lead on what’s actually missing? Seems to me most of the docs there describe how to get started, which makes it seem like gruntwork (and/or voodoo) from there on. How much gruntwork’s missing?

Not onöy Russia but mybe also Daimler.

Hi y’all!

I came to check if anyone’s got something on the repos, and also if there have been any updates in them.

Seems they’re pretty much all empty now(!)

For example

git clone https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-hal-sony-murray.git

results in an empty repository, but I’m sure something was there before.

Any deets on what’s up?

This was the only one that there was something in.

Oh :smiley: Then there never was much for a head start.

I cannot see the big leap ahead of 10 IV with the 10 III, here the three smartphone comparison:

The most notabily advancement with the 10 III is this banchmar AnTuTu: 396008 (v9) vs 286216 (v8). The Xperia 10 III has the USB v3.1 with the display port while 10 IV the v2.0. It is not about the v2.0 versus v3.1 but the display port which makes the Xperia 10 III an ARM64 notebook if correctly equiped or a stream TV / slider presenter tool.

5 Likes

My though exactly

Even the upcoming 10 V doesn’t seem to do much improvement unfortunetly. Same CPU as 10 IV, same amount of ram.

I really wish that we can have official port for device that operates with 8gb of ram. CPU on 10 III is powerful enough imo, but running basicly two os’s on one device it really needs more ram space.

In my case, buying 10 IV except for the cpu would be a downgrade. Still 695 in test isn’t that much more powerful. I think jolla, if they want to survive, they need to reconsider as more of the community seems to doesn’t like the idea of buying 10 IV with another licence

2 Likes

OK, Different angle, here . . .

Official Xperia 1 or Xperia 5 series support with VOLTE would solve the hardware portion of North American usage – the Xperia 10 series lacks many/most of the 4G bands needed here – presumably removing that issue from the list of whatevers preventing sale in the US/Canada/etc. My uninformed WAG is that the rest of the whatevers are license-negotiation things, but if that could be worked out North American sales would open several new markets.

I’d love to be able to recommend SFOS to friends and family if they didn’t have to visit a Sailfish country (in person or virtually) to buy a license and network coverage was much better. With the 10-series, it’s just pure luck if your phone works where you need it to. I love Sailfish, but I get grief from my wife if I’m not 100% available :frowning:

5 Likes

There are repos for Sony 10 IV support

12 Likes

Thanks
There is even a reference to zambezi in droid-src: Add murray and zambezi · mer-hybris/droid-src-sony@1bd59a9 · GitHub which is Xperia 10 V :wink:

7 Likes

Hopefully they are the same platform

Does this mean that the 10iv will get support for sailfishos?

I had actually ordered the 10iii but got the 10iv delivered.

If there will be a sailfishos port for the 10iv I would keep the 10iv.

1 Like