Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

You have right. I have read Xperia VI as Xperia IV. :face_with_monocle: Excuse me. Xperia IV has it’s updates fr a 12 to 14 allready.

Jolla said that Sony denoted Android 14 to be maintained on the Xperia IV and V for long. As their hardware is almost the same, I think it makes a lot of sense for Jolla to base their SailfishOS port for these two devices on Android 14 and Sony’s “software binaries for AOSP” 14.

2 Likes

Both of opinions seem to be understandable. Personally I’m only able to wish best available solution. It’'s not good if we’ve to wait for too long time.

It is said that Sony will provide Android 15 to last two generations of their phones, which means that the 10 V would get it but the 10 IV would not.

I fully agree that it would be the optimal situation. The only question is when will those new Android 14 based binaries come out and whether they will address the camera issue. The way @rainemak described it, i.e.

and

doesn’t seem like it’s guaranteed or something. Hence, if the existing Android 13 blobs are already now usable and lacking any major issues (I don’t know if they are, I’m just wondering), maybe it would be more reasonable to use them, at least for now. Just like the XA2 uses Android 8 based binaries (even though Android 9, 10 and 11 based ones were then also released for it) or the 10 III uses Android 11 based binaries (even though Android 12 and 13 based ones came out then). Time runs fast, and at this pace we may not see a “daily driver” grade 10 IV / V support not only before 2025 but before 10 VII comes out…

1 Like

You are misunderstanding (or ignoring?) that they would switch to the corresponding kernel with all the improvements that brings. Sure, some 'droid versions have compatibility with previous or later ODM blobs, but that’s not the whole difference. SFOS is unfortunately stuck on whatever kernel version the port selects as a starting point (though it might get minor patches).

There was an update on 2024-08-01 in Sailfish Community News, 1st August 2024 - Jolla C2 :

To make our life easier in the future release, we have decided to go with the Android 14 base. Issue with Android 14 vendor blobs is that camera won’t start and needs to be disabled. Hopefully next version of the Android 14 vendor blobs contain the proposed fix. We asked from you, Sailfish Community, an opinion on how would you prefer this and seems that preferred approach is to release the free version quickly rather than waiting for the new vendor blobs. This means that the first version comes with disabled camera service. Reason for disabling is that broken camera service prevents suspend causing battery draining. Once we have the new Android 14 vendor blobs containing needed changes to fix the camera service, we do a minor Sailfish OS update to re-enable camera and provide instructions on how to flash the vendor blobs.

We also confirmed support for XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72 variants of Sony Xperia 10 IV and Sony Xperia 10 V. These two devices need variant configurations meaning that we will create dedicated flashable images for XQ-CC72 and XQ-DC72 variants. The 72 variants are likely released separately right after XQ-CC54 and XQ-DC54 variants.

4 Likes

No, I am only saying that if A13 blobs are already there and satisfactory stable (if they are, I don’t know, I’m merely asking if it is the case as what I’ve heard so far from Jolla was quite vague) whereas the A14 blobs fixing the current serious issues with camera et al are in the “hopefully soon” or “given that we get them” degree of probability, then maybe it should be thought over once again. That’s all.

Right. So what’s better: a (slightly) older kernel but physically available to use right now, or a newer (and better) kernel but currently blocked from serious use in SFOS by camera (and other power consumption related?) issues, which may get a fix from Sony “soon”, or maybe not so soon. I am not saying that the newer kernel wouldn’t be highly desired, I am only afraid that it may not be a top priority for Sony to do it as quickly as Jolla would expect it, leaving us with no usable 10 IV / V support for months.

1 Like

Yes, but still in the “hopefully” form, like e.g.

meaning that while updated Android 14 based blobs will certainly come out relatively soon, there is no guarantee that they will contain that specific fix. And what if they don’t? It’s quite late already now.

1 Like

What are you up to, i.e. what are you arguing for (or against)?

Jolla made a decision, communicated it along reasoning, and described the possible routes for the near future. We both know that “communicating something with reasoning” are two large steps in one go for Jolla, even if that is easy for most, especially both of us; so please ignore their use of explicitly undetermined and vague language, which is another well-known and long-standing tradition (almost a “must”) for sailors. One may call this tradition confusing and ill-fated, and I would not disagree; nevertheless, “it is what it is”.

So for the Xperia 10 IV and V it is going to be a SailfishOS port on an Android 14 “base” (i.e. firmwares etc.) utilising Sony’s “software binaries for AOSP” 14. If the current release of the latter (Sony’s “software binaries for AOSP” 14) does not provide a working camera when the SailfishOS port for these devices is about to be released, the Camera app is going to be disabled in the initial release(s). As soon as Sony releases a new “software binaries for AOSP” 14 which provides a working camera on the Xperia 10 IV and V, Jolla is going to prepare a new point release of SailfishOS, which re-enables the camera app.

I do not think there is anything unclear or left to discuss with this plan.

3 Likes

Not arguing, merely discussing, wondering. Or is it some kind of undisputable dogma?

Yes, just one thing: what “as soon as” may mean, and what if it actually isn’t soon.

No, just senseless, IMO.

Any temporal extent (i.e. “a stretch” in its temporal meaning) is within Jolla’s definition of “soon™”, don’t you know that yet? :wink:

More seriously, “it is ready when it’s ready”: That applies to the release of Sony’s “software binaries for AOSP” 14 with a camera fix as well as Jolla’s point release(s). I assumed you have been around long enough to know well, that the question “When is XYZ version a.b.c, XYZ’s feature D or bug-fix E for XYZ going to be released?” is futile, in general for the IT industry and specifically for Jolla (unless a marketing department has set a date, but I think neither Sony’s OSS support nor Jolla has something such).

2 Likes

Well, with the 10 V (and even more with the 10 IV) the situation isn’t entirely typical, because no other SFOS X device support was ever delayed as much as in this case, and with still no predictable date when it might happen.

If what Jolla says is to believed when it comes to Xperia 10 III isues, i.e. that quite some of them (especially excessive power drain) originate on the Sony side of things, it clearly shows how many of them were never addressed by Sony. Even as simple ones as messed up RGB LED colors or broken camera color filters. Which raises my concerns and doubts when it comes to Sony timely fixing 10 V issues this time. What incentive to act any quicker than they usually do would they have, if those binaries are generally only used to build systems / “ROMs” alternative to theirs?

That’s all - just concerns that it won’t happen too soon, whereas Android 13 binaries seem to be readily available (or at least that’s how I understood what rainemak said).

But, of course, I know very well that Jolla will do whatever they want. So maybe you’re right that discussing it is kind of senseless. Either way, considering that I already said all I wanted to say, anyway, I guess it’s a good time to conclude :wink: Maybe I should simply sell the 10 V, hunt for another (spare) 10 III in decent condition, buy that $25 “permanent” licence for it and stop giving a ****, at least for a few more years :slight_smile:

3 Likes

is there an ideal build the device should be updated to?

i updated mine to 68.1.A.2.170 and there’s a further update available

Likely (as in “not 100% sure”) the Sony’s last Android 14 release for the Xperia 10 V, i.e. not Android 15.
Note that this is a moving target, until Sony releases Android 15 (68.2.A.x.y) for the Xperia 10 V.

I would / will not do anything before Jolla has released their flash-able images with further guidance WRT this.

2 Likes

We got a confirmation to use a base on Android 14. I don’t know which deadline for the release has been planned. My device is still waiting for SFOS :slight_smile:
I can pay more for licence when I see a result. The promises about 1/2 months for SFOS for 10 IV/V are done

I think it’s a case of being as soon as it’s ready. Jolla’s hands appear to be tied by the wait for Sony to release their blobs

On Jolla Love Day 2 (which took place on May 20th) the release was planned as “within 1-2 months”, i.e. approximately by the end of July. The new release date is “we might consider releasing it sooner”,

but we don’t know sooner than what (certainly not sooner than the end of July :slight_smile:). As @eson pointed out, it probably means “sooner than later” :upside_down_face:

Not really. It was said to be released with disabled camera “quickly” (which turns out to be an undefined variable :wink:), and then (when Sony release fixed blobs) updated by Jolla to re-enable camera functionality.

But it’s been 3 weeks from then and we haven’t seen or heard any news in this regard.

4 Likes

15th August
" … new devices are also visible under the hood, like …"

I don’t know exactly programmers’ phrases, but this could also mean in a clear writing as:

We are just wondering what’s wrong. I.e it’'s very time taking. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

“Just tell the truth.
without adding or omitting anything from it.”

This is the one thing that turns me off of sailfish OS. I want to be really excited and waiting with baited breath for its release on my phone, but I just know that when / if it comes out and I install it, I’m in for a lifetime of one-line cryptic responses containing words like “soon”.

Is it unreasonable to expect a straight answer? I understand that Jolla have limited resources, and that from a software development perspective it can be difficult to pin a release date, but just be straight with us. Tell us you’re unsure. Say “We were aiming for July. We missed. Now we’re waiting for Sony so we can make things better. Maybe it will be September, who knows? We’ll keep you in the loop.” Don’t keep tugging the leash and promising it’s “soon”.

I wonder if the Sailfish team were politicians in a past life…

8 Likes

Any release can’t be soon enough for me. My 10 II broke (screen not working), and I am now without a working smartphone.
Any state of SFOS on 10 V that will do

• Phone calls (make and receive)
  • Text messages (SMS, send and receive)
  • Not brick the phone

Is better than what I have now.

6 Likes