Xperia 1 IV, 5 IV and 10 IV support

You should check Xperia 10 III, which is roughly the same size as XA2. (Compared to XA2 it is only 12 millimeters taller, 2 mm narrower and 1,4 mm thinner.)

2 Likes

There are no small from factor phones anymore. The smallest phone you can get with SFOS on it is the xz2 compact and that has no official (from jolla) support.

5 Likes

Sony is the only manufacturer who has an Open Devices program.
Maybe Xiaomi could be viable; years ago, before going mainstream in western countries, they were the phones of choice for ROM baking due to their policy of leaving them unlocked.

3 Likes

Yeah, using Sony devices they can use officially supported system made by Sony, and also support from Sony engineers. Even use official tools from Sony for flashing and unlocking the bootloader.
If they choose any other manufacturer Jolla is all on their own, having to take full responsibility and also having to do a lot more work.
Devices like Fairphone or Pinephone seem the most likely, but even if Jolla gets in some agreement with manufacturer they will have to base their work on community adaptations, not official ones.

3 Likes

i understand,
so apparently no Samsung z flip or motorola razr for me.
i quit like the Sony xperia Pro,but i have no use for its functionalities and it’s extremely expensive.

Perhaps yes, yet Volla installs its system on android phones made by Gigset and both /e/OS and Ubuntu Touch can be installed on many android devices (mostly older models).

2 Likes

Indeed, Fairphone allows other OS’es too. The newest Volla Phone is based on a Gigaset with changeable battery. You can buy an extra one. Coöperating with one producer has an advantage for sure. But if you have to adapt the OS to a new device every two years, that’s a lot of work and a lot of bugs.

Why not an official port for the Gigaset GS5, like Volla Phone does with its new 22. They only changed the colours of the case which are the same as the GS290. You can change the battery yourself. Nice, sturdy device.

I don’t see the relevance to Sony devices liste in the topic

Has every post always end off topic???

5 Likes

It’s clear that there is a need for support for different sizes. You cannot have it right with only one size. Small is nice for the hands and for pockets but a bigger screen is better for reading. Wom.en put their phones in a handbag.
My favorite size is that of Gigaset’s. I wished Sailfish could be flashed on a GS5 with changeable battery, made in Germany.

1 Like

But that could be its separate topic, there even is one exactly for it! New Volla Phone available on Kickstarter
The porting process is different between Xperias and other devices.
So people wanting Xperia IV would benefit from focused discussion, and people wanting Gigaset port would benefit from having all the info in one place.

5 Likes

Would be nice to know when approx. Sailfish OS will be available for Sony Xperia 10 IV ?

I think there still isn’t any official anouncement that it will be supported at all.

1 Like
3 Likes

IF the Xperia 10 IV becomes a supported device my guesstimate will be March 2023*

*Based on previous releases.

2 Likes

Decided to risk and ordered Sony 10 IV :slight_smile: Will wait. 10 III almost sold out now

You can get an xperia x compact with official sfos, you only need to patch it. There is a github repo with the patch

2 Likes

X Compact has AD 4.4 which is very much outdated. Unusable.

1 Like

Maybe via Waydroid

Or is the kernel too old?

Sony 1 Xperia IV phone has a much more comprehensive cellular bands range suitable for international usuage, Asia, US, and Europe.

At least for US users, we don’t have to sacrifice cellular quality with this phone (in contrast to Sony 10 Xperia III)

Suitable for International market.

I would go for Sony 1 Xperia IV without a second thought if Jolla, SFOS, supprt the phone despite the higher price, for it would be the perfect non Android / Linux phone to use in the US.

Sailfish OS is the only sea worthy Linux phone that I can utilize as a daily driver in the US (Pinephone Pro, never was able to get the phone part to work due to technical issues, while Volla Phone 22, I cannot get T-Mobile NVMO to register with VoLTE, pethaps blacklisted in the US, Gigaset), and with confidence.

And I thank Sailfish and Jolla for making this happen, as well the community.

Network
Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE / 5G
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2
3G bands HSDPA 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1900 / 2100
4G bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 - Europe
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 48, 66, 71 - USA
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 17, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 46, 66 - Asia
5G bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Europe
1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20, 28, 38, 40, 41, 66, 71, 77, 78, 260, 261 SA/NSA/Sub6/mmWave - USA
1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 28, 38, 40, 41, 77, 78, 79 SA/NSA/Sub6 - Asia
Speed HSPA, LTE-A, 5G

5 Likes