What a dreadful experience

I was one of those who (after years of using Symbian, Maemo and MeeGo) bought the Jolla 1 from the first batch in 2013. Then, for several reasons, I moved to BlackBerry 10. I still use the BB Passport as my daily driver and I consider it the best smartphone and OS I’ve ever had.

Now, after 8 years, and SFOS advertised as having made a giant leap to version 4, I decided to give it a try, thinking that it’s the only remaining alternative to extremely secure and stable (but passing away) BB10.

So I bought a XA2 Ultra and this is what I experienced so far:

1. The script to flash Sailfish OS X (coupled with instructions from Jolla how to use it) turned out to be a complete disaster. On Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, if not launched as Administrator, it was looking for all files in its folder (i.e. where is should), but it was failing due to not having the rights to create the temp file there. On the other hand, if lauched as Admin, it was able to create the temp file, but it couldn’t find any files to flash (or even fastboot.exe or the file containing md5 checksums) because it was looking for everything in… Windows\System32 folder (and that’s where it was creating the temp file). Adding the folder to Windows’ path and various other attempts to solve the problem didn’t help. Not willing to have to copy everything to Windows/System32 where the damn .bat wanted to have it, I eventually modified the script by adding full absolute paths to every single file in the script, and it finally made it work. I was able to do figure it out, but I guess that for a complete newbie it’s where his Sailfish OS adventure may end, before it really could begin. It is AMAZING that even the tool to flash the OS, i.e. everyone’s very FIRST experience with the platform, couldn’t be made in a proper way.

2. All that Sailjail stuff. Fantastic, security is a good thing. But not the way it is being implemented, i.e. that they enabled it but at the same time didn’t let 3rd party developers use it because “it is not ready yet”, which will surely take months before it changes. As a result, dozens of applications got broken, as they cannot normally access Contacts, or Calendar data, or many other things that got “protected”. Having to use tricks like manually copying contacts.db to the application’s own folder (and then remember to repeat it upon every change if you want to have it up to date) just isn’t a serious solution. With Sailjail introduced that way, try to find a single properly working contacts-dependent third party application, like for instance call blocking. No, Phonehook doesn’t work correctly anymore, because it has no access to contacts so they cannot be selected. And developers apparently can’t do much about it atm.

3. XA2 with SFOS X 4.x is the only device that refuses to sync contacts and call log with my car’s Bluetooth car kit. “Contacts directory” appears in the car but so what if it’s completely empty, whereas call log is completely greyed out and inaccessible. Maybe it’s again due to Sailjail (i.e. lack of access to contacts and communication log sync over BT), which wouldn’t be surprising as it wouldn’t be the only case where Jolla broke their own OS’ functions with sailjail. The same thing happened to e.g. the built-in function to record voice calls which just stopped working due to sailjail and it takes applying a manual fix via the terminal to make it work (whitelist the folder and give it necessary sailjail permissions so that the audio file can be created there). It will be interesting to see if they fixed it in 4.2.

4. After several days GPS still didn’t get fix. Right, I didn’t have time to stand half an hour with the phone in my hand under the clear sky, but I left it by the window for some 40 minutes, which didn’t help at all. It sees 27 satellites, of which it stubbornly uses ZERO. Before flashing SFOS, the GPS worked perfectly fine in Android.

And there are some other issues like SFOS not liking too much WLAN networks with hidden SSID (not being able to see them every now and then) or having problems with finding the cellular network after switching back from Flight mode or after switching the SIM1 card off and then back on, etc. So overall, an experience that can hardly be considered stable.

Oh, and the web browser really isn’t ANYWHERE near what can be considered up to date. There are LOTS of websites which either don’t work correctly or not at all. Including many important websites that one really has to access daily.

So, sorry to say (as I really hoped that SFOS could be made my and my wife’s daily driver after Blackberry shuts down their BB10 servers by the end of this year which possibly won’t let BB10 devices to be normally used anymore), I find SFOS 4.x to be actually LESS mature than what I left on the Jolla 1 when I stopped using it years ago. Really GREAT LOOKING, but unstable, chaotically developed, and after 8 years lacking many things that are simply required for a daily driver.

I really understand all those things (small company, limited resources, and so on) but it’s been EIGHT YEARS so I really thought that it managed to evolve into something at least normally USABLE for the most BASIC tasks. Whereas what I’ve found is still of beta-release stability, actually making an impression of being LESS stable than what was on the Jolla 1. With as hilarious things as that the user has to manually key in commands (found in some community forums) in the terminal to make certain built-in functions (like call recording) work correctly, where the web browser is several years behind, and that it can’t even sync contacts with my car kit, which makes it completely unusable.

Oh, and enforced encryption with no way to opt-out right after flashing a fresh OS, doesn’t make me more enthusiastic towards it, either.

As an absolute minimum, I need a device that correctly works with my car kit, has a built-in function (or a properly working 3rd party application) to block calls and text messages, and an up-to-date web browser. Of which Sailfish X currently offers NONE.

So for now, the sad reality is that after my BlackBerry 10 device stopps working, I’ll be forced to start using Android, which is something I really wanted to avoid at any cost.

EDIT: I almost forgot. In addition to having to manually fix the call recording function, I had to manually (by typing some commands in the terminal) fix the automatic date/time setting, which was stubbornly switching to Helsinki/Finland, giving 1 hour difference vs my time zone. While searching for solution I’ve found numerous posts reporting that bug already years ago.

7 Likes

I am a bit confused, because of the website thing. I agree that the browser could be better, but it works on evey website that I am using daily. Sometimes I come over a websites which refuses to close its popup dialog but this happens as often as on my Laptop. Can you give a few examples?

Also, why would you want to opt out of encryption? (just curious)

1 Like

By websites not working I mean not only those which do not work per se but also those which refuse to work by showing a message that the browser is outdated and that’s it. Example: olx.com Maybe changing the browser’s agent would help, I don’t know and don’t really want to mess with it.

In the past few days I also encountered numerous websites which only gave a blank page or total mess on the screen, or - as you wrote - a popup to accept cookies covering everything that couldn’t be closed, but as for some strange reason the history of visited websites in the browser only reaches yesterday (either it magically disappeared or maybe I cleared it, don’t remeber) I’ll need time to check which sites they were and report them to you. So please give me a day or two and I’ll come back with a list.

Anyway, in my opinion the browser is on par with BB10’s browser on the Passport when it comes to website compatibility. Or a bit better. But BB10’s browser hasn’t been updated for 4 years or so. And it is still noticeably faster, on Passport’s much weaker hardware than XA2…

As for the possibility to opt out of encryption, why not? It’s as simple as that some people need it and some don’t, so why not give them a choice at start. My wife for example, who needs the phone solely to make calls and texts and in spare time browse a few websites for women, really doesn’t need encryption and wasn’t happy that she would need to remember yet another security code that she might confuse with PIN. You may ask why give her a Sailfish phone then? Simply for security - in terms of no millions of Android vulnerabilities, fake apps that she might be tempted to install, and so on. A simple and secure phone for just calling, texting and web browsing, just like the BB10 had been for her since 2013. I am not saying that the enforced encryption is a huge problem. I merely mentioned it, as actually the least troublesome thing of what bothered us.

Just like me, my wive needs the phone to correctly work with her car kit (i.e. sync the phone book), not to suddenly lose call audio until rebooted once or even twice, and be able to block nasty calls and spam text messages. And we’ve discovered that on SFOS we get none of them.

The big question is also lack of VoLTE because we don’t know how much longer 3G will be supported by our network. They don’t say anything but it doesn’t have to mean anything good because last year, without absolutely any warning they disabled one of their 3G’s bands (was it 1800 MHz or 2100, don’t remember) which rendered 3G modem in my mother’s laptop unusable as it dropped to EDGE speeds where sending an email is a challenge. So I wouldn’t be surprised if the same way next year they might turn off the only remaining UMTS frequency altogether and turn our Sailfish phones into tablets.

1 Like

Hi,

must quite strongly disagree with my experience, maybe there is some misunderstandings. I just hopped on board last week with xperia 10 II with Sailfish X so onboarding is fresh in my memory. I was happily surprised that there has not been major issues. I did contact support (as I was paying customer). Only real problem is that Android Apps does not sync with my sports watch, I really hope that would get fixed.

1. Instructions are for W10, W7 has been out of mainstream support from 2015 and complete support 2020 (excluding extended business support). I don’t know would that have influenced flashing experience? I had mac os x so I have no experience how this works on W10. W10 and W7 are different OS and there might be some issues.

2. Not sure if there is difference with X version or not. I have had no problems with sharing data. Personal contacts are in sync with Nextcloud and work related does sync from Google. So no “local contacts” are in use, but I think they should work roughly the same. All apps I have used has been able to use contacts if I have granted permission when asked.

3. I have not tested this yet so nothing to comment here. I’m a bit afraid this might cause some more issues. Hope I’m wrong here…

4. I did have some issues with GPS. But I did notice that location service was actually off. Still first go it did take 10min with no proper gpx fix. I did then change setting and download this MLS? package and now I did receive accurate fix in few seconds. Still slower that IOS, but ok. I have not used this too much, so I just might have been lucky once.

I did my decision straight away that Jolla does earn its 50€ for creating OS and that allows me to complaint about real problems. There was few issues and I did create support ticket and it got resolved in few hours, which is great. Answers even did make sense, maybe because tickets are managed by people who actually does understand what they are doing and all of this is not completely outsourced.

Pretty much everything has worked so far. Of course many of the apps I do use are Android based and I did need to install microG to make things smoother. At least for me sticking only with SFOS apps would be impossible, but luckily Android Apps seems to work ok.

Biggest issues and frustrations I have had was with completely different apps and ways to do things than IOS. I have been happy Apple fanboy and have enjoyed that everything have just worked. Just now when Apple is trying to provide everything from health care to cars I do think it is getting to far. With sfos (or any non IOS) there is much more things to be aware, for example what app stores should be used and what apps to use. But I think that is just thing that comes with territory and allows more flexibility that I do start to enjoy.

Hope things gets better and you get these problems solved. It should not be impossible, but taking easier way around (SFOS X+ MicroG) might make things easier for daily usage. Of course then you are not purely in SFOS and not completely in OSS.

I did try that website you provided and seems to work ok. I just updated to 4.2 which had some browser related fixes. It is still in Early Access Program but should be available for all next week.

I did install Firefox so I do use both. I think SFOS browser is not really best there is…

Well, when it comes to flashing, I guess it is irrelevant if Windows 7 is still supported by Microsoft or not. It certainly didn’t affect how .bat scripts in Windows 7 command prompt are executed :slight_smile: So I doubt if it has anything to do with where the flashing bat script looks for files. It is obvious that it can’t contain any absolute paths, but it should contain relative paths explicitly pointing out to the script’s own folder, rather than no paths at all (only pure file names) which results in as bizarre things as looking for files in Windows/System32 or using a wholly different fastboot.exe version that I had in some completely different folder that happened to be added to Windows’ environmental variables’ path. This is serious as such different fastboot version might actually do nasty things to the device.

And no, Jolla instructions do not say a word about Windows 7 not being supported (or recommended) for flashing. On the contrary, it is some versions of Windows 10 that they warn about having problems.

When searching for solution, I’ve seen a lot of other people’s posts reporting similar problem with the flashing script failing (whereas manually executing fastboot.exe was correctly finding the device). Everybody was blaming USB3 ports for it, which certainly wasn’t the case if fastboot.exe itself correctly communicated with the phone. I guess in many cases it was the same problem as mine, i.e. the script looking for the files in wrong places - it’s just that the script’s output is completely misleading as it reports not being able to find the device, not the files.

Anyway, if Jollas goal ever is to improve the reach of the OS to average users not just geeks, and if providing a fully newbie-proof and user friendly flashing experience is beyond what can be done with just a simple .bat script, why not make some simple GUI program for it, at least for Windows and Mac. Where the user can simply select the folders where binaries and executables are located, using some simple requester. A few hours of work, and a wholly different experience for novice users.

I guess you mean the official Jolla apps installable from their store like Calendar, Clock, People, etc., as only they ask for permissions at this point (as firejail is not available to 3rd party developers yet). But please check any 3rd party applications like e.g. Phonehook and see if you can select any contact there. Or s1p, without having to manually copy contacts.db to its data folder in ~/.local/s1p (or so) in order to being able to access them. Introduction of sailjail (and inability for 3rd party developers to use it) broke a lot (or maybe all?) of 3rd party apps utilizing features restricted by sailjail, with no way for devs to normally fix it. For me, such a situation is unthinkable, but that’s how it clearly is.

Well, that’s the point. I wiped Android off the XA2 and replaced it with SFOS certainly NOT to install it again within SFOS (and that for the cost of 50 euros). The whole point was to avoid Android, not to have it. If I really have to rely on Android, I’ll better simply reflash the XA2 back to its stock Android (or even better Lineage 18) which will give much better performance and lack of challenges like inability to find a single call blocking solution…

For me, SFOS’ UI is actually its strongest advantage. And its Qt support, because I am familiar with Qt/C++/QML programming and I can make simple stuff for my own needs, just like on BB10. But also in this area, after 8 years, I’d expect finally some stability, and not turning everything upside down every now and then with Sailjail and such things. After 8 years I hoped to find a mature and established platform (also in terms of development), and I’ve found it to be not any less of a W.I.P. than what I left in 2014.

Well, on 4.1.0.24 it only shows message about the browser being outdated and that you have to update it… If switched to desktop mode it shows the main page, but right after clicking any link it shows the aforementioned warning, too. I’ll check with 4.2 when I have time to upgrade via terminal (as the free OS doesn’t support automatic updates).

GPS is a p00p-show.

Never got it to do anything useful, even after the mozilla gps files were installed.

2 Likes

I installed the Mozilla stuff, too. Didn’t do absolutely anything. Still no fix. Today is finally some good weather, so I’ll place the phone outside on a garden table under the clear sky and leave it there for an hour or so. If that doesn’t help then probably nothing will.

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

I do not use Windows so I’m over a thin ice here. I just thought if there some differences between W7 and W10 that could make some difference. I have not picked up any problems from forum about flashing so I would assume it mostly works. I really have not had any need for this either and I have just not noticed it. Just this logo is W10 based on instructions page.

I do not use phonebook app, but might give it a go once it is available for xperia 10 ii. These kinds of apps are more or less new to me as IOS does not allow that kind of functions. I can give you reply how it goes if I do remember. Most apps I do need does read contacts and no problems there.

I have tried to be realistic with Android. For example I do need to have Banking ID app running and for some reason banks are not providing SFOS native apps. Either I do pay my bills easily when I have time and accept that I do need to install and use Android apps. Other option would be to acquire this banking code generator dongle or something like that and carry that when I do need to bay bills or transfer money between savings and spending accounts. So in real life SFOS is not, at least for me, viable option without Andoird apps. Now at least I can support sfos. Maybe in future more developers will hop on board and start to create SFOS native apps so I can remove dependency to Google and Android. Certainly it will not happen overnight.

Great thing that it us completely up to you how you like it to work. You can select do you want to stick with sfos, mix it with android or just go to android directly. We all do have different preferences and needs and I do hope you will find what is best for you. Most likely it will always be some kind of a compromise.

Hope that 4.2 helps with some of your problems. At least I did feel it was decent update and made things to work a bit smoother.

Welcome to the forum, wetab73.

For another perspective see: Thank you thread. Coming from a Jolla 1, I disagree that v4 is less mature. And I also disagree about what you said regarding Android. It’s your choice of course, but a stock Android is privacy invasive and the Android emulator is not (for me a very big difference).

Hopefully you can solve the issues. With C++/QML knowledge I don’t think you’ll find a better device than sailfish right now. I don’t like/agree with your (emotional) title but “dreadful” might give a hint why Jolla doesn’t want to cater to normal novice users, which, imo, are better served by Apple and Google (and the consequence that brings, you know as well as I… :hot_face: ).

1 Like

Hi stuba81,
There is no real difference in how Win10 or Win7 execute bat scripts. The flashing scipt is actually very simple, it just launches some executables like md5 to verify checksums and fastboot.exe to get information about the device (to verify that the correct model is to be flashed, that the bootloader is unlocked, etc) and stores it in a temporary text file (if it can create it, otherwise it fails saying that it can’t find the… device). Then it simply executes fastboot.exe to flash all the needed files to the phone, one by one. That’s it.

The only problem is that the script lacks any paths, which apparently fools Windows (and quite possibly Linux too). If you launch the script not as Admin then it looks for everything in its own folder (as it should) but it fails miserably as it has no permissions to write the temp file there. On the contrary, if launched as Admin it does have the rights to make the temp file, but it no longer uses its own folder but Windows system folders or some folders in Windows’ PATH. It took hours before I realized that it was using not the fastboot.exe version that Jolla provides with the bat script in its own folder but it executed some other version it found in Android SDK’s platform-tools folder that I had installed somewhere else, because it was added to Windows PATH. Then it took some more hours to realize that it was making the temp file in Windows/System32 folder and that’s also where it was looking for all the SFOS files to flash and Android binaries, and obviously not finding them there it was always failing with a message that it could not find the DEVICE to flash (not the files!) which was completely misleading and confusing.

I fixed it by manually adding full absolute paths to all files in the bat script. But I guess the script could just as well simply by default contain relative paths (relative to the location of the script itself) which would be enough to make it work OK without any changes from the user side other than simply placing all the required files in the script’s folder, i.e how Jolla says it works (but it doesn’t). But the way it is now, i.e. just file names without any paths, causes what it causes.

Actually, there are lots of threads about problems with flashing. On both Windows and Linux.
https://together.jolla.com/question/168886/sailfish-x-install-flash-on-windows-device-not-found/

Those are just examples I found within a few seconds, I could go on with links to such discussions for another half an hour. Which clearly shows that the flashing process is nowhere near what can be considered user-friendly or fool/newbie-proof and that many people do have serious problems with it.

A simple GUI program, either able to locate all the files by itself or letting the user chose using some simple requester, would definitely make the experience much better and the whole process much easier and more secure, especially for less tech-savvy users.

It is called PhoneHook, a call blocking application (there is an aarch64 version compiled for the X10 II on openrepos, too). I can’t believe that there is no such functionality on IOS. Blocking unwanted calls and texts is nowadays a must… Well, except that on Sailfish it is not, as the only such tool that existed got broken by sailjail.

The whole point is that I DO NOT WANT to go Android, of which the best example was that I wiped it off and installed SFOS instead. But I’ll clearly BE FORCED to go Android, with lack of any call blocking solutions, inability to use SFOS with my car kit and several other aforementioned issues. Installing Android support within Sailfish won’t solve them, either. If native apps can’t now access privileged data like Contacts then it is even less likely that Android apps can.

tomdi,

Well, I’m really happy that there are people who are happy with SFOS. Good for them! Different people have different needs. I listed mine. Ability to use the phone with my car (which requires phonebook access as I don’t intend to manipulate with the phone to select contacts while driving, which is both dangerous and illegal), ability to block unwanted calls and texts, up to date web browser. Not much, isn’t it? But THE FACT is that Sailfish currently does NOT provide any of it. It’s not my subjective opinion, it is a FACT, easily verifiable by anyone, like e.g. by simply looking for any working call blocking solution in both the Jolla store and OpenRepos. Not to even mention that such a functionality should have been built-in. Therefore, my experience is negative.

As for the opinion that SFOS 4 is more of a WIP than Jolla 1, well… my Jolla 1 DID work with my car, and the call blocking app DID work on it. It is SFOS 4 that broke both those features. So is it less reliable than its previous generation or not? For me it is.

I appreciate that Jolla constantly enhances and improves the platform. But I do not think that it is a proper way to implement new features the way they did it with SailJail, i.e. enable it - which broke certain important things - yet prevent 3rd party developers from being able to use it, which causes that affected applications will remain broken for months, often leaving no alternatives. For me it definitely isn’t the right way to do it. Unless we’re still being considered just guinea pigs, of course.

To sum up, due to the demise of BB10 I need to find a new daily driver for me. Meeting my certain (quite low I think) requirements and providing tolerable stability. SFOS turned out not to do it, that’s all. Maybe I’ll keep it on the XA2 to tinker with it and see how it further evolves, but atm I won’t risk relying on it in my daily life.

2 Likes

Like I said I have not had reason to look for flashing problems so most likely there will be some problems. Just from my perspective there was no problem.

If Firesail is your biggest problem could you go version 3? Sfos 4 is still rather new so things will improve in time.

But now I just close this from my side that we disagree on this. I was positively surprised how well everything went and sfos seems close to valid phone for my daily use without too many compromises and feeding all my data to Google.

2 Likes

Sure, if I can only find downloadable flash files of SFOS 3.4 for Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual Sim anywhere then I’ll be more than happy to give it a try.

Like I said, it’s really great that other people, including you, are satisfied with SFOS. It definitely ISN’T my intention to bash this OS and Jolla, on the contrary, I really appreciate how they keep alive where so many others gave up. I was waiting for Tizen, Ubuntu Touch, etc. and they all just didn’t make it (well, Ubuntu still gives some signs of live but not much has changed for years). I do like SFOS for many things - its openness, its UI, being Qt-based, etc. It’s just that some things annoyed me (after 8 years since Jolla 1 I simply expected certain things to be more mature and stable), which prevented me from switching to it this time, so I decided to write about it. Just that.

Actually, as soon as I can make it fully work with my car (sync contacts and call log) and have a good call blocking function, quite possibly I’ll be ready to switch to it.

P.S. As for Sailjail, I just hope that security on SFOS won’t eventually go to the point where it’ll start seriously restricting development of 3rd party software. Which was the case on BlackBerry 10, who were so obsessed with security that they restricted access to almost everything with permissions, of which only a tiny bit was made accessible to 3rd party developers, whereas dozens of them were limited to 1st and 2nd party. Even as simple thing as displaying a message on the lock screen was protected by a permission only available to BB themselves. And then they complained about poor app ecosystem, whereas it was just impossible for developers to make advanced native applications.

5 Likes

Unfortunately you are right. Sailfish is by no means perfect, not even close, but I’m one of those it does fit.

1. The flashing script is rather simple, but still it fails to get paths and permissions right. And it sure isn’t the only one… Windows 7 isn’t supported anymore, but I see no reason flahing wouldn’t work… Well maybe fastboot could be an issue. I can have a look at it some point.
  2. Sailjail is there, but it isn’t there. It great to have, but it really vacuums that it’s not supported in community apps at all (well, at least I couldn’t get it to work in one app I tried to test it with). I would prefer more active development, with announced future breakages, instead of getting stuck in old APIs that are getting deprecated upstream anyway.
  3. This is not really that much Jollas fault, but the ambiguities in the specs and vastly different and sometimes plain awful implementations on the gadget side. For example, my JBL bluetooth headset works fine with music, calls, and even the controls. Same goes for my integrated car sound system (which has a Sony branding) in my Ford. It plays the music, makes the calls, and gives me the address book. There are (at least) two ways to implement sharing the contacts between the phone and the Bluetooth peripheral, for example. TL;DR Bluetooth itself is a mess. (Let’s not get into audio codecs and LE…)
  4. GPS on XA2 series phones indeed is seriously broken. My understanding is that this is due to expired device firmware certificates, so the device can’t securely get the data it asks. How to update those certs - I hope some brilliant minds are looking into it. On the other hand, GPS on the Xperia 10 II works just fine!

The browser is not up tp date, but Jolla is kicking it forward release by release. Google has the advantage of developing both the browser and the OS themselves (along with truckloads of cash money). I like the principle that Jolla didn’t go Chromium, but sticks with the only viable competitor.

(Having said that: this forum is simply unusable on mobile browsers. Both on Browser and on Firefox. The reply field gets sometimes behind the keyboard even on Firefox, so it’s gotta be a Gecko thing. Hence the edits…)

The enforced encryption is a good thing, I guess. It’s true that many users don’t really benefit from it however. But I’m one of those that certainly would lock their house and garden shed at night (if I had a garden shed) (and a house).

Call and text blocking would really be a useful feature. Well, it missing doesn’t bother me anymore personally, but it is a feature some people need in their daily life.

You should be able to set whatever timezone you want, just disable the automatic update in the Settings. If it doesn’t work, it’s a bug well worth reporting!

4 Likes

LMK if you want an .img for xa2 ultra dual. I have sfos 3.2 on file somewhere.

1 Like

I’d guess that some of your problems are down to the installation.

I installed SF 3.4 on my XA2 through Windows 7 no problem but only used latter’s admin account and turned off all permission restrictions.

As direc85 says, Bluetooth is just a mess of a protocol, and the open source code reportedly isn’t great.

My GPS was awful until v4 (they apparently fixed something) and the release of MLS Manager which got locks in a couple of minutes. I’m not convinced 4.1 is actually as good – sometimes takes 10 mins, seems to need the driver resetting more. Yours is clearly bugged.

I use Opera for Android instead of the stock browser.

This is sort of tangential, but I’ve found all ‘manual’ flashing methods to be ‘flaky’ On the other hand, the Ubports installer I have had (after making an early error) ‘easy’. Should we maybe try to get A ubports installer for the Sailfish X devices going?

Just a thought that’s torturing me as I try to do development installs on the Volla phone with /e/ os install instructions…

Just a question, is it possible to try version 3.4? I’m still on that version since there is no 4.x version for my phone and I’m curious if there are some regressions in you list (3.4 → 4.x). That would be usefull for the Jolla folk to know. I think the Phonebook problem, for instance, is known and was mentioned in the 4.2 release notes?

On the other hand the web browser in 3.4 is even older. Since I heavily edit my hosts file, it’s usable but not much fun.

I never lock my garden shed or house. You’re all welcome if you’re in the neighbourhood.

Beer is in the fridge in the basement. Next to the sauna. Help yourself.

Don’t touch my tools. Don’t play the bass fiddle.

All clear?