VPN randomly loses login credentials

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): seemingly random
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION:

When using a VPN with vpnc, the system seems to lose my login data (password, group password, user name). After I’ve re-entered them it works again for some time. It seems the issue appears randomly.

PRECONDITIONS:

VPN via Wifi using vpnc

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. enable Wifi
  2. setup VPN using vpnc
  3. enter login credentials, click “save”, click “connect”
  4. wait…

EXPECTED RESULT:

After entering my credentials once, the system should remember them even if the connection may stop working and it has to reconnect (?).

ACTUAL RESULT:

The connection breaks and the system asks for my login data.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

I have no idea how to debug this issue. Where can I find relevant logs? I vaguely remember this or a similar issue being discussed on TJC but I couldn’t find the thread.

3 Likes

+1
Has been there for a while, is still there and will most probably be there …

I do not remember exactly but iirc it was there long ago, then fixed and now back (since 3.x?).
One of the little discomforts we are used to, so never bothered to bug report it.
Thanks

Thanks for the post. We have created a bug report about this.

2 Likes

Has this been fixed in version 3.4?

Well, it makes using a VPN kind of pointless (or even dangerous, depending on the situation).

A hackish “workaround” would be to at least automatically disable Wifi/network when the VPN stops working. Maybe this could be implemented as a hotfix first?

2 Likes

I had the same problem on my XPeria 10 - Dual SIM and found a workaround based on this information:
https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=138

So I made a text file containing only the username and password of the connection. 1st line the username and 2nd line the password, nothing else. Saved the file as e.g. somename.txt or some other name.txt . Copied this file somewhere deep in the system to protect it from unauthorised access, e.g. /usr/share/…

Next time, VPN configuration had forgotten it’s credentials and asks for input, go to settings - credentials - read from file - system files - go to the place where the text file somename.txt is. Until now it remembers the settings, I am curious how long but till now it’s better than ever before.

edit: working fine since 3 days, no more access data lost.

This issue “VPN randomly loses login credentials” was fixed on OS release 4.0.1.48.

2 Likes