The Volla X23 (GX4) Thread

This thread will be for posting updates/discussion about the Volla X23.

Current status is, mostly everything except the camera is working.

Donations: PayPal.Me

10 Likes

And now the camera is working :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congrats and many thanks for the port, @piggz !
Still hesitating between Gigaset GS5 (not lite), XZ2 and now, Gigaser GX4 (or Volla when I’ll be rich :slight_smile: .
(Well, as long as my XA2 are working, changing isn’t really reasonable, though)

User xperience is much better on GS5 than on XA2.

On my XA2 Plus and XPeria 10 Plus battery consumption is very high if 4G is enabled. Battery wouldn’t last over a workday.

On my GS5 battery lasts minimum 5 times as long and everything works smooth.

Only backdraws:

• if you use Android-Apps: you won’t have Aliendalvik. (For me that’s no problem since I don’t use Android apps.
  • small root-partition (6GB) and files in /home use root partition. (Until now this wasn’t a problem for me, too)

Great to hear.

Expecting my X23 within the next days/weeks.
Want to take a short look at focal and then switch to SFOS.

Is there flashable image available at gihub yet?

Thanks for the infos.
Is Waydroid not working?

What do you mean by this?:

Well, we are OT, I think.
We might perhaps continue there:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/the-volla-22-gigaset-gs5-thread/12939/

I mean that files in the /home-partitin of user defaultuser don’t use the large data-partition but the small system-root partition instead.

So storing large files (many photos, videos or offline maps in PureMaps/OSM Server) to phones local storage might eat up local the small space on the root-partitin very fast.

only if you dont encrypt home IIRC

On my first try I dud set up my GS5 with community encryption.
(that was on 4.4.0.?72?)
Storage did show two partitions.

One with more than 80GB free space.
On with 6GB (~2 GB used)

After downloading offline-maps to OSMScout Server the 6 GB partition ran out of diskspace and the phone didn’t boot anymore.

Thought, the problem might have been caused by encryption so I did set up the phone again without encryption.
Now I have only one (small) partition.
That’s o.k. for me since I don’t need so much user data on local storage and since the GS5 is my daily driver I don’t want to lose data by enabling encryption again.

But the problem with system running out of disk space was definitely while encryption was ativated.

But @ric9k is right: We’re OT and should discuss this on the Volla22 thread. :wink:

I have just posted a first test build to the volla dev TG group which has everything working except the fingerprint scanner and wifi tethering. If anyone wants to run it, give me a shout.

1 Like

please download link and install instruction :+1:

There are 3 files, which should be flashed using fastboot, to
boot_a
vendor_boot_a
super

2 Likes

Thanks Sir
first unlock bootloader
fastbbot flash boot_a boot_a.img
fastboot flash vendor vendor_boot-sfos.img
fasboot flash super super.img
steps OK???

no, the partitions on the phone are
boot_a = boot.img
vendor_boot_a = vendor_boot-sfos.img
super = super.img

3 Likes

Thank you @piggz for your great work and the fast port. Have not tested it, because I don’t own the X23, but anyway: thank you.
Just for the sake of interest: how long does it take for a device port? Do you get/need any information from the manufactures?

It can vary from device to device, on the experience of the porter, and what other sources of useful info are available.

In this case, the port is based on the halium android image, and not the regular HADK documentation. This way, a lot of the hard work is already done by those who did the UT halium port, I just had to create a config, pull in the packages and build the rootfs.

4 Likes

anyone buy the original volla x23?on the gigaset gx4 only work sailfish …on volla x23 with boot menu ubuntu…sailfish…manjaro…???

I preordered the X23.

BootManager is only available on Volla phones with VollaOS installed as primary OS.

With my X23 arriving withing days - what Sailfish X image from Jolla shop are y’all installing? Will it make a difference?

@Michael Sailfish X (from jolla) are only available for the listed devices (Sony Xperia and Gemini). The volla phones (like Volla Phone, Volla X, Volla 22 and now Volla X23) are community supported devices (@piggz is creating the ports). So on these images are the listed features from Jolla are not available (like Android Support from Jolla - there is some community android support called waydroid but I have not tested it yet).
Be aware: flashing and so on are done by your own risk. I bricked for example my Volla X last week even if the flash was successful.

Edit: I always wondered about that Volla listed the SailfishOS icon on the bottom of their product page (Volla X or Volla X23) but don’t offer any SFOS support.