The Volla X23 (GX4) Thread

The offered it at the beginning in the ubports installer. But I think that was too much to support. They never offered support for sailfish, just informally … But the original Volla phone, to 4.4.0.72 (3.4 also) is still great. The 22 is fine with 4.5. I use the volla and an xperia 10iii as developer targets.

I think this a halium build a’la: Jobs · sailfishos-porters-ci / Halium Mimameid Ci · GitLab @piggz

I never used any Android device in my life, and certainly want to avoid support for it wherever possible. Likewise I of course don’t use Outlook and don’t want Exchange support - and I hate predictive text trying to tell me what I want to type, and always turn that off. I would gladly pay Jolla to NOT include any of that, so I’m good. I never used those “features” on either the original Jolla phone or the Jolla C.

Bricking will not be an issue. I will be using Volla’s multiboot feature to run both Sailfish and UBports from eMMC. I expect the X23 to arrive today, so it’s just a question of selecting the right image, but I guess it might be too early for one to have been tested yet?

The image linked above in mega is the latest available. Works fine as a daily driver for me without any android. Not sure about using it with multiboot though.

You mean the image from ‘mega’?/

yeah :slight_smile:
that the one!

1 Like

I see it now. Sorry, I’ve hardly been to this forum since the style overhaul, so I don’t know my way around anymore. I’ve been running UBports exclusively on the Volla X for a couple of years, but had both Jolla phones and two Sony ones with Sailfish before that. The main selling point for the X23 for me was the factory multiboot - Sailfish, UBports AND the Volla OS on the off-chance I’d ever need it.

Any reason you can think of why multiboot would not work?

Thank you for the pretty solid port piggz. Running mighty fine on my Volla X23.
So far, only one bug I noticed (although it’s more of an annoyance) I see duplicates of the WiFi SSIDs when searching for some (so I see my SSID twice).

Another one is non-working Waydroid, but that seems to be due to missing Halium 12 on Waydroid side, so I just gotta be patient :slight_smile:

1 Like

Woop, waydroid is working :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Very nice :ok_hand:. How did you get it working?
waydroid init complains about missing Halium…

Congrats Mr. @piggz , thank you!

1 Like

The process is roughly

This will get you the latest kernel build with the required binder files

• Boot into sailfish and run the following
devel-su
mkdir -p /etc/waydroid-extra/images
images_url=https://sourceforge.net/projects/aleasto-lineageos/files/LineageOS%2020/waydroid_arm64
curl -o /etc/waydroid-extra/images/system.img -L $images_url/system.img/download
curl -o /etc/waydroid-extra/images/vendor.img -L $images_url/vendor.img/download
waydroid init -f
chmod 666 /dev/binderfs/anbox*
  • Create /etc/gbinder.d/anbox-hybris.conf with the following content:
[Protocol]
/dev/anbox-binder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-vndbinder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-hwbinder = hidl

[ServiceManager]
/dev/anbox-binder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-vndbinder = aidl3
/dev/anbox-hwbinder = hidl
  • Reboot
  • Start waydroid-runner from the launcher
  • Open terminal and run
    waydroid show-full-ui

First boot may take a while
It is necessary to the second “waydroid show-full-ui” each time (currently)

4 Likes

A full description of the issue is logged here Waydroid setup (and usage) is non-trivial (#1) · Issues · UBports / Porting / Reference Device Ports / Halium 12 / Volla X23 / volla-vidofnir · GitLab

4 Likes

Simple…ish :smiley:

Fingers crossed it will get simplified in due time.

Ive just added fixes for the following:

• Video recording
  • Video Playback
  • Camera > 12mp (up to 8000x4000)
3 Likes

Nice.
What’s currently the upgrade mechanism for non-official SailfishOS device?
Is it pkcon update or something else?

devel-su
zypper ref
zypper dup
(review the changes, make sure nothing looks insane, like removal of some device pattern, downgrades are fine)

2 Likes

I completely forgot Sailfish uses zypper for package management. Thanks, will update right away.
Enjoy the tip :beers:

Btw, is there a plan to update the SFOS build to 4.5.0.21? It’s currently on 4.5.0.19

Because the gx4 is a “devel” build, you can just update to .21 … its when the user-facing “testing” builds are made that special care should be taken to not update to a release i havnt made packages for.

so
devel-su
ssu re 4.5.0.21
ssu ur
zypper ref
zypper dup

3 Likes

Cheerio. Phone didn’t explode so I take it as a good sign.