The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

Port is working well, only real issue remaining is video recording
@teracube what dodnt work, the flash, or after the flash?

1 Like

Just pushed an update which fixes video recording in advanced-camera … resolution must be less than the QHD supported, eg FHD. I think that makes it feature complete?

3 Likes

Jolla camera now also working, with video max set to FHD

3 Likes

Ha, ha, ha! Yes, but no but.
Up!
Video recording, GPS, BT, Wlan, 4G, MTB all work! Yeah…

Down!

1. Default sound levels for alerts seem 100+? I notice this at boot and haven’t even found the ‘proper’ way to adjust it yet.
  2. Wlan IP address does not show in the Developer tools?
  3. I can’t get the 3.5 godot builds to run.
  4. On boot the device always beeps and shows ‘charging’. When it is not.

Ah, but those are certainly not show stoppers :slight_smile:

I think I’ll do some ‘daily driver’ use of it to see if anything else shows up.

One other thing just ‘popped up’ but was gone quickly … an ‘alert’ that there `isn’t enough power to charge’ or something to that effect?

Issues go here :wink: GitHub - HelloVolla/droid-config-halium-mimameid

2 Likes

WLAN IP shows for me … odd
Charger detection is now fixed ™

1 Like

Yup, and: MTP usb mount not functioning. · Issue #1 · HelloVolla/droid-config-halium-mimameid · GitHub

I installed SailfishOS on Volla Phone 22 on uSD card, via Volla Boot Manager.

After preparing SD card section, the next step ROMs section, and I believe ‘OS User Data’ partition was prompted twice, one at OS System Data installation, and again at OS User Data.

I believe the labeling is in error, the first partition of the SD card should had been OS System Data.

This issue could be Volla’s.

Is VoLTE coming to Volla’s Sailfish OS? Perhaps early to inquire about so.

Thank you for your great work

This is a potentially killer feature if you were able to boot proper Android when (occasionally) needed.
It would remove a major showstopper where you have a BLE hardware device with a required proprietary app or just an absolutely required app that doesn’t work. SFOS is never going to work for all these cases, and an absolute requirement for Android/Iphone to perform some critical task, travel, or even to work, is becoming increasingly common. e.g. vehicle rental that requires the physical presence of an A/I phone.

…and not rooted! An app that checks for physical presence of an Android phone requires also that it’s not rooted. So it’s impossible to install a second OS in this case.
I think the easiest way for using these apps you mentioned is to have a second (cheap) Android phone, if absolutely necessary.

1 Like

My tests yesterday show MTP is working correctly now.

That is true for only some “secure” applications. E.g. it might simply use BLE to unlock the rental car. Unless you have an android app that works with the BLE hardware, you can’t unlock the rental car.

But I hadn’t considered that there is probably not an official unrooted or fully working Android on the Volla to multiboot with anyway.

What it really wants is for a phone that allows a second OS to be loaded, without killing the stock Android. This would be an enormous lowering of the barrier to entry for any alternative OS. How about that euro funding a project with Gigaset for just that?

1 Like

I flashed my new Gigaset GS5 with this image .
How can i turn back to android?

Android Apps dont work with this port:-(

Yes and no. The Jolla android support is only available on the X program from Jolla. however, it is possible to run waydroid: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/waydroid-on-sfos/ has some information. But I don’t use it, so I’m not sure what can and can’t be done.

1 Like

The user experience is: you have to start Waydroid subsystem from the app grid, like any other app. Then, a full Android environment launches and this needs some time. After it’s launched, the screen looks like an Android phone and operating the phone inside Waydroid is also A-like. Inside Waydroid, you can have more than one A-app open at the same time and change between them. It has to be operated like an A-phone. On swiping down, not the A-app but the whole Waydroid closes. You can have Waydroid and SF-apps open at the same time, and you can switch between SF-apps and Waydroid by swiping sideways, but file exchange between SFOS and Waydroid is very tricky.

4 Likes

thanks mr. poetaster

any download link for waydroid and install
instruction?

thanks

You need to use chum to install. Instructions and source; GitHub - sailfishos-open/waydroid: Waydroid packaging for Sailfish OS

1 Like