Sony Xperia 10 III experiences?

I got the same experience. I hsve to restart the fingerprint sensor several times a day and often see the fingerprint processes eating up the CPU.

It would be interesting if this issue could be solved with the Android 13 drivers, but this would need a new base from Jolla.

1 Like

https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/the-volla-22-gigaset-gs5-thread

My experience with the battery life is: with stuff like tooter (mastodon client) running all day, a charge a day. With more conservative use, 2 days. But the 4.5.0.18 release is fresh, so I’m still measuring. In general, I’m a fairly heavy user since I also develop on these phones, so my use is not the norm. @Pasik2 or @teracube may have some insights? I don’t think there are that many users yet :slight_smile: @playforvoices also has a GS5, I think?

Interesting. My impression is that the GS5 has a shorter battery life than a X10iii, is that correct?
Battery life is the most important part for me, i want to get rid of daily charging :slight_smile: . 3-4 days is really the minimum acceptable given the fact that the battery will degrade during it’s life.

Like I said, I’m not the norm. There’s a thread on battery consumption on the 10 III which gives me the impression it’s not better than the GS5, but I can’t compare them directly. https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/high-battery-drainage-xperia-10-iii

If I get a chance I can try to do a comparison for your ‘modest’ usage as you described at the outset. I had an FP2 and even with a new battery, I had to charge daily :slight_smile: Did you have WIFI off most of the time? How much media player usage?

I found that topic and because it’s a bug report i assumed not everyone is affected.

My FP2 started it’s life in 2018 with 3-4 days on a full battery with mild use, until some some update degraded it to barely one day without any use. I’ve been in contact with the developer and we’ve done a lot of troubleshooting but never got it back to normal. Somehow it seems to be specific to me because others are not complaining :slight_smile: . I guess that’s the downside of community support.

In case you’d want to simulate my use-case:
My phone is mostly idle, 2 SIMs loaded and active. Data connection, wifi, bluetooth and GPS are all off (and only switched on when needed), in case it has a NFC or a fingerprint reader i’d switch that off too. Main usage is an occasional phone call or text message. I used to use the media player a lot for mp3’s (1-2 hours per day) back when the phone still did 3-4 days per charge, but even that use is almost gone now. I do use the calendar and it is important to me, and I sync manually because it only syncs to a server in my network.
I do some CLI work with openvpn and rsync to sync the calendar to my own server and rsync my mp3 collection to the phone, but that’s even less than monthly.

So basically, think about what most people would call low usage and take it even lower :slight_smile: .

1 Like

At 18:00, the experiment began. I’ll protocol usage/state in edits to this reply.
EDIT: moved this to The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread - #169 by teracube since it’s more appropriate there.

1 Like

Thanks for your effort to help me @poetaster , i really appreciate it :+1:

It’ll help all GS5 users if I do it tight. I’m on some minimal usage now :slight_smile:

What about your battery just being a lemon?

To add to the actual topic, I just switched to the Xperia10III from the XA2 it’s nice and workinig well so far. No fingerprint or VoLTE issues, works fine even though I have multisim, which sometimes made issues on the iPhone with the other SIM. Battery is also good but the one from my XA2 is so down on capacity that my expectations are low.

Xperia 10iii works pretty good, i did have some problems with taking calls but that seems to have been fixed now (i don’t use VoLTE yet).
I do however restart the fingerprint service sometimes when it stopps working.
Other than that there is a delay sometimes when taking pictures with the camera so i may miss the “kodak moment”
Overall it works great and i use it as my everyday main device.

So, looking at my log, after 48 with minimal use (3 hours active use) the phone is at 72% … so I think it’s probably good for 3/4 days with slightly more activity.

2 Likes

My experience on 10 mark 1 is pretty good, yep it quickly get out of RAM, but I have to say that’s working better then android 10 stock of SONY.
Yet, sometimes mobile signal goes away, at start it begins with 2G to connect to 4G later. Also, sometimes, WIFI goes away too. I’ve some problems with connections or is a common behaviour of 10s?

Thanks for your effort so far @poetaster , your log looks good. 73% after two days it about what i’m used to when i started with my FP2 :slight_smile: . I don’t know if you plan to take the test to the point where the phone needs charging again, but i’m really curious how long that would take.

I just updated the status. It’s almost end of day 3 with what I’d call minimal usage and at over 50%. I think you can safely say the GS5 (it’s the light version) will work for you. I don’t have that much time to do the test with proper usage, but I think it’s instructive. I’ll update till I recharge.

I’ll complete the test. Moved it to: The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread - #169 by teracube

I have mobile data in use all day, 3 e-mails updated every 5 minutes, a few phone calls, some browser use and Waydroid in use all the time, so I would say that the battery consumption is from 7:00 to 20:30 (wlan is in use approx. 15:30-20:30 ) is about 100% → 70%

1 Like

On the Volla22/GS5 or the GS290/Volla?

On the Volla22/GS5 or the GS290/Volla?

Volla22/GS5

The main conclusion: not usable as main device for me.

1. Problems with cellular (internet not working with some operators or not working in the roaming).
  2. An old browser that can crash at any momet. Usually for me it’s 10+ times per day.
  3. Problems with soud, that can dissapear at any moment and your allarms will not work.
  4. Autocorrection is not working even on this forum.

So, as for me, this device with SFOS is only a toy with additional SIM.

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who shared their experiences.

So far the GS5 seems to better suit what i like: Two SIM’s and uSD, replacable battery, good battery life.

@poetaster thanks for the rest, it’s really impressive how long it goes. I do have some additional questions, but i’ll post that in the GS5 thread.