The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

The .16 was devel only. So, coming from 4.4.0.72 you want .18 as @piggz states.

2 Likes

How can I perform the update to .18 please explain I’m too stupid :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Start a terminal (or ssh in) and type:

devel-su 
ssu re 4.5.0.18
ssu ur
zypper ref
zypper dup
4 Likes

The simcard detection on 4.5.0.18 ok?

thanks

Ah, same old problem. After first restart, have to turn on the PIN setting, shut down the phone, start the phone and then it’s back.

1 Like

4.5.0.18 is verry fast ;-))))
only problems with mullvad vpn
no connection…
load config file…acount number and
passwort:m

open vpn config file for android …

Battery consumption test, minimal usage. I’ve moved this from a 10iii thread since it makes more sense here. Protocols battery consumption with ‘minimal usage’ and turning off comms regularly.

TLDR: Battery lasts 4-5 days with light use and turning off comms after use.

- Mar. 1.
18:00 full battery, all off
18:54 still 100%
19:12 turn on mobile data. HN news.
19:20 turn mobile off. stop HN. start molecules game.
19:31 18 of 18 game off. 99% Wlan on. News. Hafenschau. SCP file to phone.
19:32 turn off comms. 99% (20 min. total)
19:40 turn on wlan. listen to some music in browser, social media tooter.
20:05 all off 95% (45 min. use)
- Mar. 2. 
7:30 wlan on, read feeds, wikipedia at 91%
8:05 wlan off, 88% (90 min. total)
15:40 86% 
16:10 wifi on check mails, messengars, tooter
16:22 wifi off, all off, 85% (102 min. total)
18:16 84% (24 hours, a bit over 102 minutes of use)

- day 2:
21:10 83% wifi on, bluetooth to jbl musicex (screen off)
 * shorter, sclavis, battles, lorn, modest mouse, zorn
22:04 all comms off 80%
- Mar. 3
7:18 77% mobile data on tidings and Hafenschau
7:51 74% all comes off (189 minutes)
18:20 73% play molecules
18:33 72% sleep (202 minutes, 100 for the day)

- day 3, Mar. 4
9:00  64% wifi on, tidings, havenschu news
9:48  60% all comms off (250 minutes)
10:10  60% wifi on (ssh rpm macro tests)
10:54 phone call 57% all comms off
17:38  53%
17:56 wifi bluetooth on, musicex
18:22 51% all off (274 minutes, 72 min. for the day)

- day 4, Mar. 5
7:54  44% wifi data tidings, Hafenschau HN
8:40 39% all off (320 minutes)
12:40 38% molecules
12:50 36% (pasta cooking break)
18:64 35%
Mar. 6
07:50 - 19% recharge.

Ok. I calling this test finished. If you turn off comms on this thing regularly, it holds a long time :slight_smile:

Thanks for the test @poetaster, it really got me interested in the GS5.

I’m now checking out the installation process and if i understand correctly it uses the ubports installer. Are there other ways to install SFOS? There is no unports installer package/ebuild available for my distro (Gentoo), so i’d have to write one myself or find an other way to install.

The easiest way to install is to prepare the android by putting it in developer mode, permit usb debugging permit OEM updates. Then download the lastest ‘testing’ archive tar ball to your pc. Unpack it and use the flash script. This requires have the android sdk installed.

Direct link to the last jobs (use the download link on the far right for the last ‘run-build-testing’

I’ve done this with both devel and testing, but testing should work just fine. I’m not sure if that’s 4.4.0.72 or 4.5.0.18, but if it’s the former, you can just use that at first and later update as per: The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread - #166 by poetaster

@piggz is this summary ok?

1 Like

Yup, looks good to me :slight_smile: General users should stick to the testing: release btw.

1 Like

Would also be very nice to have a larger root partition, maybe 2GB more. So it isn’t really useable.

@piggz

Boot in recovery…faktory reset…format data

This results in a fresh install because the LUKS partition wasn’t able to decrypt.

Look at sailfish germany
post 369-373…

Thanks. I do need some more info on this because i never touched an android phone before. What i’m used to (with my FP2) is to boot and keep volume up (or was it down?) pressed during boot. Does it work like that on the GS5 too?

The boot procedure to get into fastboot is similar (power + volume up). BUT, you need to make sure that the phone is unlocked first. That you have to do in Android. and that’s an exercise left to the reader.

What is sailfish germany?

@Seven.of.nine I think the user mean the german thread.

1 Like

Ok, that sounds good.

Just one question to be sure: From what i’ve heard with android you’ll have to create an account at google before you can actually use it. Is this setting reachable without creating an account? It would really be a deal-breaker if i’d have to create one.

I can’t speak about every phone, only about those which I owned, but: there was always a possibility to skip the step where it wants to link your phone to a google account. It keeps nagging you during the setup-process but you can skip it.

But I have never owned nor touched a GS5, so I can’t tell for sure, only 99.99%.