[SOLVED] The new Jolla's 4.99eur/month Subscription model is too expensive for my budget

What do you mean back in the day? I am also using sfos (not exclusively ofc) since the first beta, before the j1.
You can say that j1 was in better shape compared to what we have now (also compared to competition back then) but it was never the epitome of efficiency. Also the phone was heavily under performing compared to everything else back then so I’m not sure if the better efficiency was due to optimization.

1 Like

I would like to see some discount for developers. Like:

• discount based on number or PR merged
  • “Pay (part of) subscription for this dev” button in the Jolla Store
10 Likes

Well, depends on your use case. If you want a gameboy, then maybe, but that is not how I use my phone and how a phone is meant to be used originally. My phone just lays somewhere until someone calls me or writes me or I have the urge to do so, sometimes I do not even touch it until the battery runs out. That is what I mean with efficiency, standby power drain, I do not care how smooth you can scroll antisocial networks, nor does any sane person.

Then the “gameboy” use you mention means actual smartphone use, but you need a dumb phone.
I would try the new 3210 from HMD for this use case.

1 Like

It’ll be fine if the €4.99 drives a lot of improvements in the OS: particularly around the camera.
The Sony handsets have a great camera which is quite a bit hampered by lack of implementation.

So, I think it’s a good way to fund the project, but a higher rate of meaningful updates and patches would have to follow pretty-much immediately, otherwise people would just cancel and head elsewhere.

5 Likes

Also that was likely before SFOS started running a VM to run Android APKs, no doubt that has an impact on efficiency as well…
I have never in my life had a phone that goes a week on a single charge, going back to the old Nokia candy bars, I find my 10iii sfos battery efficiency is well on par with my work-issued iPad and the top of the line Android my husband has. If anything it’s better than my 10XA.
Have you tried installing Battery Buddy? It can help illuminate issues.

2 Likes

There is nothing wrong with the consumption, I am used to that. 10 III as i said and showed with battery buddy last summer is doing very well in actual numbers for me.
If you compare it with the android it comes with then yes it’s definitely bad, but not as bad as it used to be with previously supported devices.

1 Like

Nope, I use a smartphone as well for navigation purposes and for retrieving information on the go. All of that was perfectly possible with the Jolla 1, it just got worse and worse.

Thank you for your suggestion, as soon as there is a feature phone with OSM, browser and mail client, I am going to switch instantly. Provided that the feature phone has a better runtime than comparable smartphones, which is just not the case. That 3210 does not even have 1500 mAh, what a mess.

My Compact X was able to sustain at least five days, with good cellular connection a week was possible.

Mate, when Android is capable of one week standby, Sailfish should do better. But it is way worse.

1 Like

@Vince

I would like to say that the hardware is the issue, not the software. See what I could achieve with SFOS when I used my Sony X Compact:

I know we are thinking about what the subscription fee structure means to us. Please let’s keep in mind that Jolla is introducing this new fee structure just as they have had to radically restructure their company around the ejection of a major investor. Years ago, while previously teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, Jolla enrolled Russian telecom as a major stakeholder which kept the company afloat. Now by removing Rostelecom they are plunged into another precarious state as they gain their independence but lose several millions of Euros as support and investment. Only a few months ago they were on the verge of bankruptcy again.

The subscription comes with restructuring as a promise to their creditors that, as a company, they have a plan to plug this significant Rostelecom-sized hole, appropriately manage risk, and handle their debts. Hence also the spinning off of the automotive wing, the development of the AI wing as separate companies so as to manage risk while also providing new avenues for generating sustainable profit; hence the new partnerships with companies in Türkiye and in the US; and the sale of Jolla’s holdings to the new entity Jollyboy. These are all ways to demonstrate to their board, their employees, and their customers that they are a company with a future that can keep the lights on. Throughout they are only oriented toward sustainability—not mad profits in ROI for Silicon Valley VC which drives enshittification.

For users, the new fee structure may be frustrating, even if the cost is less than monthly subscription for other privacy-forward EU services like Proton. However, I appreciate that they will continue to accommodate anyone who cannot afford to subscribe by keeping 10ii and 10iii support on license model. That is definitely a viable option for the next several years- my sfos phones have never been obsolete on the software front, I’ve only had to replace with hardware issues (I.e. sunsetting the 3G networks). So users who need that option can still participate fully. As we move forward let’s all work to ensure that Jolla does not forget our non-subscription friends who cannot pay for the service.

Among my friends in F/OSS communities this all may come as another point of resistance, and I fully understand that. But given what I also know happens in most tech corporations, I deeply appreciate that Jolla is still very heavily mission-driven, not compromising on privacy or making sacrifices to scale or make millions for investors or even to pay their debts. They are trying an existing model just to stay afloat and keep their privacy-centric vision alive, while maintaining their independence over the system they develop,

10 Likes

I can easily fit 5€/month into my budget and I’m still eagerly waiting to flash SailfishOS onto my Xperia 10 V as my original Xperia 10 has gotten a tad long in the tooth. However I’m still a bit disappointed that its now 60€/year as I’d have preferred the same “one and done” deal even if they’d bump the price up to 100€.

If that achieves the financial stability for the company they’ve lacked so far, I’ll put up with it. I’d still have preferred to support them without another monthly bill on top everything I’ve got right now (mortgage, electricity, condominium association fees, internet/phone, streaming services, patreon, etc.)

3 Likes

How do you gain independence by removing russian investors? Especially if you choose the US afterwards? This is contradictory to independence.

They are not able to fix simple bugs like the power drain bug. They probably did not even start looking into it.

Every information that goes to US-based companys is a privacy leak.

Then why is the standby power drain with Android so much better?

1 Like

Then why is the standby power drain with Android so much better?

Very simple - Because Google simply has more money, employees, and resources and has existed longer.

Do you really believe that Jolla is doing more than application level? They are not, they are using libraries from Sony for the “real” stuff, like Android does. And they are doing a bad job, obviously.

1 Like

Sony - in opposite to other vendors - releases two “versions” of the closed source blobs (drivers, etc.): one for the stock ROM and second one for the Sony AOSP (and every Sony AOSP Android version upgrade usually needs rereleasing new blobs). The problem with Sony’s AOSP is its inferior stability in comparison to the stock ROM on the level of the blobs (drivers, etc.).

So Jolla is not to blame here.

4 Likes

Of course Jolla is to blame, they stated that the 10 III is the best Sailfish phone so far. But it is the worst.

4 Likes

^my position too^

i appreciate that a 50€ perpetual licence may not be sustainable. okay, how about 75€ or 100€…?

2 Likes

they stated that the 10 III is the best Sailfish phone so far. But it is the worst.

Yeah, for a handful of users here. So it must apply to all users accordingly!?

The US is not providing investment capital or holding a major stake in the company.
Technical data is not going to a US-based company.
Shareholders != technical partners.

1 Like

Of course not, they are interested in user data :wink:

It is objectively bad. This is not a subjective take, you can measure it, it is way off the mark. If this is being fixed and the browser gets stable I have no complains anymore. But these points are critical, and even more critical is that they are not being adressed, for over a year now. Oh, and the damn echo, of course.

2 Likes