SFOS 4.5 feedback thread

My upgrade was flawless for Xperia 10 III :grinning:

• Very fast download
  • Didnā€™t need a second reboot but did it anyway.
  • Love the new calendar week/day view and the native battery threshold settings.
  • Thanks Jolla!

First if all, what an awesome upgrade. Thanks to all hard working sailors at Jolla!

The upgrade of my XA2 Plus (dual sim) went flawlessly and even the Jolla tablet update (from 4.4.0.58 to 4.5.0.16) went fine. The much snappier experience of the OS is certainly recognizable.

Bugs I found:

• Advanced Camera app not able to access the camera feed. Just black screen with icons as overlay, no error message.
  • Browser becomes unresponsive (message with option to Wait or Close) or crashes completely when scrolling on certain websites (eg. 9to5mac.com)
  • Browser not showing favicon in browser history list, but correctly used when page is saved to app grid (eg. home-assistant.io)
  • Chum Gui app prevents to automatically reboot after 100% install of upgrade. When removed before upgrade reboot after upgrade works as expected.
  • All home folders and location on UI lost after upgrade, so need to manually reorganize all apps
  • When Android Settings of an app are changed (Settings > Apps) or at least opened and I return back with the return arrow in the top left in these Android Settings, the Sailfish Settings app seems to crash back to the homescreen. I would expect to gracefully turn back to the place I was in the Sailfish Settings app
  • Some Android apps crash on opening (eg. ANWB Smart Driver app)
  • Not all Android apps get a refreshed icon in the Sailfish OS style (eg. KNMI, Aruba Instant On, IVN Routes, Enlighten, ICS Cards)
  • Android apps that go to browser to log in into the app donā€™t get the returned results correctly back into the app. Also the results donā€™t trigger to switch back to the app. Result: not able to log in and use the app (eg. PostNL)
  • Rotation fix ignored by Android apps. Even though I fix it to Portrait in the top menu, Android apps still open in landscape.
  • Charging mode/threshold not available on Jolla tablet
  • After update on Jolla tablet the system reboots, but hangs on the Jolla/Intel logo (which should not do in my view). A forced turn off and on gets it into a normal boot into 4.5.0.16.

Features that would improve the end user experience:

• Option to set automatic mount of encrypted sd-card. It should be the users choice to do so (check box and store password)
  • Option to include Gallery photos in nextcloud backup under Settings > Backup
  • Ability to create folders/albums in the Gallery app (showstopper for my wife and friends to move to Sailfish OS)
  • Browser update from ESR 78 to at least 91 (which support also ended) or better 102 or 109 would be really appreciated
  • Bluetooth support for Android apps (how else can we sync a Finnish Suunto watch to a Finnish Sailfish phone?)
3 Likes

For me all went fine with this update.

Iā€™m on a Xperia 10III as daily driver.

Iā€™m missing copy and paste when okboard is active. But it seems thatā€™s depending from okboard.

@Jolla:Thank you for this update.

It would be great to make a design review under the aspect of one hand use for calling from contacts app. This is nearly impossible.
All elements are fare away from a normal thumb range.

Please rearrange them all or integrate the calling functions off contacts and calling app in the pulleye menu again (like in Sailfish OS 2)

I found myself thinking the same. It must have something to do with this changelog item

• Performance has been improved (as well as tearing and out-of-order rendering have been fixed)

I think we render more frames now, but itā€™s definitely slowing things down - in a 24fps vs 60fps sort of way.

If you contrast this on X10II to native Android, even on a much older device like Xperia X - X is super snappy and smooth in scrolling. I wonder if itā€™s even possible to reach this rendering speed in AppSupport container, maybe @jovirkku knows?

1 Like

No VoLTE updates/fixes? Still hoping support will eventually trickle down to the XA2.

3 Likes

Problems: (Xperia 10 iii)

• OTA upgrade stalled, required hard boot. (Chum and deadbeef silica were removed as directed)
  • Chum GUI wouldnā€™t refresh repositories on Storeman so need to install via web (success)
  • deadbeef silica wonā€™t install

ā€œNothing provides ā€˜libsndfile.so.1 (libsndfile.so.1)ā€™ needed by the to be installed (sic) deadbeef-1.8.2-1aarch64)ā€

• Finer volume control patch incompatible (my one and only patch!)

(I will update as more items come to light)

Iā€™m missing copy and paste too

Damn. I use hotspot regularly on one of my SIMs (10 iii) which Iā€™ll need in a couple of weeks when I travel to that country.

This is not encouraging

I downloaded from openrepos and it installed fine

Why are there so many android processes active (some actually using CPU) when android is not started (this is a fresh boot with android start disabled).

2 Likes

Had the 100% hang with chum gui uninstalled

Thanks for all the work on 4.5

Upgrade on my X10ii went without problem.
I removed mpd before upgrading as per screen warning.

On my X10iii download took ages (server strain?) but the 1Gb update fortunately ran in my 1.5Gb of available memory but update hung at about 97%. A reboot with volume up however completed the upgrade.

A number of Apps wonā€™t now run following upgrade (will report them to the authors on OpenRepos).

The OpenRepos version of Patience Deck by @tomin wonā€™t run but the version in Jolla Store does.

Also having problems with BitSailor by @Rikudou_Sennin which repeatedly asks for you to Authorise ā€œ/usr/bin/harbour-bitsailor wants to retrieve secret internalPin from collection bitsailor in plugin SQLCipherā€

As regards phone features Fingerprint recognition from the lockscreen seems to have degraded but Iā€™ll try cleaning the sensor!

It just happened that Easypark Android app was not able to access mobile data (no WLAN available for to test that side at that moment).

After multiple reboots Easypark finally found a way to get connection.

Also the nagging of missing GSF seems to be crashing easier apps than before.

Hopefully Jolla still irons out some hickups before final 4.5 release :slight_smile:

Some problems with the android notifications (Xperia 10):

• The tiny notification icon for new WhatsApp messages is not shown anymore on the home screen. I get a notification popup when a new message arrives, and thereā€™s a notification on the event screen, but nothing on the home screen.
  • in case of Aurora Store the tiny notification icon on the home screen is white square, not the app icon
  • the notification icon for facebook lite is ok

Calendar is faster now. With an earlier update it became quite slow in showing the contents of a day, but now that works better. Problems started when OAuth2 support was added to office365-accounts - and I have one such account. But now that seems to be solved. Thanks.

1 Like

It seems that all android applications installed on my Xperia 10 II got nuked after the update. No application data, nothing. I also seem to have an issue with the android app support being stuck in ā€˜startingā€™ ever since, even after reinstalling it and restarting the device.

Just replied to you in the OpenRepos comment.

Also created a bug report.

1 Like
  • Login data was lost for several android apps.
  • I had to re-run the media indexer (via settings ā†’ helpers), since neither the gallery nor the android apps could recognize the pictures on sd anymore.
  • The sailfish shape for the android app icons wasnā€™t applied for some apps (e.g. the cantanmen carsharing app, signature spoofing app, Eufy clean app).
  • app folders in the drawer menu were partially lost and had to be filled again.

To me these are minor issues, I had worse :wink:
Very feature-rich update, itā€™s great!

1 Like

I have a strange problem that sometimes the edge is not being recognized (or the gestures), and Iā€™m unable to switch between the apps, or close them. The workaround is to lock the device and unlock it, and then everything works fine. The phone is just normal XA2.

regarding MPD: libavcodec was updated from libavcodec.so.58 to libavcodec.so.59 in SFOS4.5

I recompiled it for SFOS4.5 and replaced the most recent RPMs on OpenRepos. So if you install MPD after the upgrade it should work again.

1 Like

Compass on XIII seems to finally work reliably (how come android apps get access to that but not gps?)