Sailfish OS pinephone

I just installed 4.2.0.21 on PinePhone community edition.
I didn’t used any other version before therefore I cannot compare it.
Furthermore I played with it just a few minutes.

Notes:

• The UI looks great so far but set up of /home didn’t worked during install wizard.
  • Camera doesn’t work. It shows just black screen.
  • The sound seems to work. I played youtube video.

I tested it without SIM card.

2 Likes

So my Pinephone is also on 4.2.0.21.
With the flash-it script it is only possible to install it on Emmc.
Otherwise, there are probably problems with the home partition.
The GUI runs smoothly. The new web browser also runs well.
Camera and GPS do not work at the moment.
I haven’t tested Bluetooth yet.
Telephony works great when it’s up and running.
But updates come in more often because of this.
There is an interesting video where Android (Waydroid?) runs on the Pinephone.
All in all, it’s going in the right direction and I thank the devs for their great work.

2 Likes

I still wait until the PinePhone Keyboard is supported by the SailfishOS. That would make it really a cool device.
As of User Interfaces on pinePhone: I don’t like Phosh and i don’t like KDE Plasma Mobile. So both are not an option for me…

3 Likes

So my PinePhone and the Keyboard arrived. would be really awesome if the keyboard would be supported in SailfishOS. At the moment i use PostmarketOS with Plasma Mobile. It suxx, but it suxx less than Phosh. (Don’t get me wrong - i am Gnome user)

The Problem with Phosh is, that the Open Apps Windows are showed on the same page where the Apps icons are showed: The apps grid just scrolls down, leaving only half of the apps showed.
This is IMHO big design flaw. The Apps should be on another page. I don’t know, how such idea could be born in the head of an UI designer…

Don’t entirely blame that on KDE Plasma Mobile, I also have a PinePhone and some bugs/hangs are just due to the PinePhones weak hardware.

I actually find this concept very nice, because it is so simple. You only have one gesture which opens a screen that shows you everything you want: apps and opened apps. And also, why is it a problem that only half of the app-grid is shown? Realistically, we have so many apps installed, that one would have to scroll on the app-grid most of the time anyway. (And - just to make it clear - I’ m no GNOME fanboy, I don’t use GNOME on any of my machines) (Also, this is no criticism of your opinion, so please don’t get mad :upside_down_face: )

1 Like

PinePhone HW is ok, with 3GB and QuadCore its ok for Linux. Jolla 1 was much weaker.
The Problem with Phosh its absolutely unusable with PineKeyboard. You see simply nothing. I don’t like this UI concept. SailfishOS do it much better. App grid and opened apps windows are simply not mixed and its usable in the phone Mode and in the tablet mode.

1 Like

Oh, I never thought of using it in landscape mode before…
Okay, then Phosh is really a problem

1 Like

FYI, pinephone owners:
the flash-it script is now working again for both sdcards and emmc. After an update to eg25manager several problems have been resolved, chiefly an incoming call now actually wakes the phone up. The display behaves correctly, wakes up immediately even after deep sleeps. Call audio is not great and the camera doesn’t work at all - apart from that everything works, updated to 4.4.0.58.

6 Likes

I have Tow-boot installed and after prepare sd card with last release of flash-it, SD does not BOOT… maybe incompatibility with tow-boot?

Uh…bad SD … with a new one it works! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I tried to install SFOS on a PinePhone 1.2 (community edition) using this script:

https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it/blob/master/flash-it.sh

However, this script fails to download https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/crust-meta/-/jobs/artifacts/master/raw/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl-pinephone.bin?job=build. (It’s a 404.)

Am I using an outdated version of that script? Or am I going about this all wrong?

Bonus question: I’d like to install straight to the eMMC. Is that aforementioned flash-it.sh script suitable for that purpose?

As far as i remember, you can expose the internal emmc via usb and write direct on it instead of a sd-card. Also i had some problems until update via ssu re and version --dup.

There have been problems with the flash-it in recent months…I don’t know if it’s been updated but here’s what you have to change to get it to work: Telegram
You can flash straight to the emmc using jumpdrive or towboot.

While taking a quick glance at that script, at one point it asks whether to write to an SD card. Would I answer “yes” for the eMMC as well, then? After all, jumpdrive offers it like yet another USB drive.

Thank you very much for your speedy reply.

Unfortunately, I do not use Telegram. Thus, would it be possible to post that solution here? After all, others might benefit as well.

Yes, but your data will be lost then like you know! Pinephone is nice to play around with, under normal circumstances you can always recover…

here’s the link:
https://gitlab.com/pine64-org/crust-meta/-/jobs/3374176374/artifacts/raw/u-boot-sunxi-with-spl-pinebook.bin
it’s on the line UBOOT_DOWNLOAD2
ps currently no sound on PP, works on PPP

1 Like

Thanks, defactofactotum! After adjusting the UBOOT_DOWNLOAD2 URL, the installation finished as expected.

However, the phone does not boot. It briefly flashes the “flashlight” on the back (supposedly as intended) and, then, lights up the front LED in that typical slightly pinkish hue. But that’s it. It’ll remain in that state forever.

It tried modifying the “install to SD” and “clean root password” options during installation, alas, with the “install to SD” option the phone would not start at all. The other one did not seem to matter.

Have our friends on Telegram verified that the Pinephone installation will boot with the u-boot-sunxi-with-spl-pinebook.bin file? Has anyone else installed directly to eMMC recently (using Jumpdrive)?

I told the dev and he’s going to reflash and check

1 Like

I was kindly referred here by acrux from the Pine64 PinePhonePro Sailfish forum.

I’ve downloaded the current (as of today) flashit.sh scrip from;

Selected No. 5 PinePhonePro Image to my SD. Told the script to install to the SD and Yes to the clear root option.
Script appears to have run and loaded the auto image to my SD card Ok however when I select the boot to SD Card option on my PhinePhonePro I just get the light flash then nothing else ?

No Sailfish boot screen images.Nothing :frowning: I’m not quite understanding the “UBOOT_DOWNLOAD2 URL” reference above and which .bin I should be downloading ? Shouldn’t the script be downloading the correct one for me automatically ?

Bit of a scripting “Gumby” so I might be missing the obvious ? Am I not doing this correctly ?

Just wanting to get a PInePhonePro Bootable Current Sailfish SD Card Image up and running to test with a view to ultimately installing it to the eMMC down the track for Guinea Pigging / Testing :wink:

Again any assistance is gratefully appreciated in advance