Sailfish OS for Sony Xperia 1 and 5

I’m considering the xperia 5 as my next phone instead of a xperia 10 because of it’s value (it seems to give better features per cost) and I wonder if there’s anything important I should be aware of? So long it seems that most important functionality works including voice, data and wifi… is anything I should be warned of before I buy it? I don’t care about android compatibility, I only use native apps.

There’s all the limitations of a community port instead of official Sailfish X on the Xperia 5; so no volte, no app support (which you said doesn’t matter), no xt9 spelling/prediction, no MS office365 something-something (that I can’t get to work with my provider anyway).

I’m fine with all of that, I currently own a phone which is not officially supported, so I guess xperia 5 would be a good choice, thanks.

Hi guys, I’m want to buy Xperia 5 III or IV. Does this port work for these generations? Or it works only with first Xperia 5 generation?

Unfortunately only mark I

1 Like

Maybe someone is working on the ports?

The Sailfish OS port for the Sony Xperia 1 and 5 has been updated last to the latest release of Sailfish OS 4.5.0.24 in addition to that the adaptation to include various security updates and other bug fixes that affect all Sony adaptations taken from Jolla.

Also several documentation updates or buildinfrastructure changes have been made. Most of these updates were fixes to the branching script and
new scripts for release aggregation for update discovery.

The delay between the last release was mostly caused by the development for the update discovery service Cosu and
my personal situation in my private live which had a turn for the worst last year. The Xperia 1/5 II port also took some time of course.

Updates to these project components are now tracking in the main bug tracking repository SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs/releases.

The highlights in this release are:

• [ui] Update submodule to pull in the right icon package for Xperia 1. SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs#37
    The launcher and other icons now should have the right solution
    appropriate to the resolution of the device.
  • [Cosu] Implement service to search for device updates. SailfishOS-SonyXperia/bugs#89
    The port now includes working update discovery, updates can be found, downloaded
    and installed through the update ui.
  • [doc] Document device upgrades before cosupdateservice #71
    Document the process of installing the update discovery service for existing installation
    of ports before updating through the normal process
  • [kernel] Enable CONFIG_EXT4_FS_POSIX_ACL in config. Contributes to JB#59542
  • [kernel] free task immediately to prevent slab task_struct memory leak. JB#60580
  • [kernel] input: sec_ts: Remove spam from event buffer is empty. Fixes JB#58343
  • [kernel] Update to Linux 4.14.264. Fixes JB#59877

Note the (Jolla) bug numbers have nothing to do with the port directly and are only here for reference

You can find the full changelog of this release in the release notes or at the end of this post:

Thanks to all who have provided testing, reported bugs or have contributed otherwise.

10 Likes

Thanks for your work!
After the firmware
Sailfish_OS-Sailfish-SonyXperia-4.5.0.24-j9210-4.5.0.24.git1.7.zip
I can’t add a Jolla account:
Add account - No account providers available.

@Thaodan ,

I want to know possibility to boot into hybris recovery on this release, because on previous release I can’t do it.

It should be yes.

Can’t do short replies…

Please wait till I have rebuilt the images I found the issue.

3 Likes

Should be fixed now.

4 Likes

@Thaodan

thank, now I can access hybris recovery to remove encryption…

I don’t have Jolla account problem.
I can add my Jolla account

Xperia 1 DoCoMo Version