Sailfish Community News, 29th August 2024 - C2 update

Sailfish OS update from Jolla

We are all here at Jolla excited regarding the progress that we made during the past two weeks. The re-implementation of the telephony stack has been a major push in this project and a tough nut to crack and there we have made some great progress. Phone calls are now working on 2G and 3G networks. VoLTE / oFono radion plugin requires more implementation time.

As communicated at last week’s IRC meeting and yesterday at Jolla C2 community deliverables we’re seeking help from you, Sailfish Community, to get the new version of the telephony binder interface properly tested in various countries – we’re mostly interested in VoLTE and how it behaves but surely the whole stack as well. See details from the C2 community phone deliveries thread. We’re so excited about the progress and breakthroughs in the past two weeks! By working together, I believe that we can pull this off! We have already received a nice amount of community members who’d be willing to test the Jolla C2 Community Phone among the first ones (CBeta members or ones who’d like to participate).

You have also been asking about updates regarding Xperia 10 IV and 10 V. We’re really close to Sauna 4.6 update being ready for these phones. There will be shortcomings like we communicated earlier on the other thread. It sounds like brave ones are willing to take it into use even without a working camera and Xperia 10 V would have issues with battery status reporting. Unfortunately, we have not yet received working vendor blobs but as communicated, we’ll provide instructions on how to update your devices when we have better vendor blobs.

This is just a must thing to mention, David Llewellyn-Jones (@flypig) and his persistence and endurance in updating esr91. What an awesome job you David have done with the help from the community. Your gecko blog has become for many a morning routine. We have promoted the changes required (or so we think) for Sauna 4.6 with esr91 so that those would land along with the Sauna 4.6 update that we’re preparing.

As usual, please enjoy and share your thoughts!

Energy from the Community

It’s overwhelming to see how you all reacted when David reached a point to provide pre-build rpm packages for Gecko esr91 with installation instructions. This really shows the power of the community. Many of you took it, started testing and already reported bugs in github. Please file bugs in GitHub and try to be as precise as you can on the steps on how to reproduce. The bug reporting template you can find from the docs works very well – please utilize it.

You can find Gecko esr91 installation instructions from there:

Repository roundup

Multimedia framework

User interface

Low-level libraries

Developer’s corner

App roundup

In the app roundup today we’re going for games and native games at that. Sailfish OS is blessed with a surprisingly wide selection of games, especially given the amazing work done by glitchapp (RosSigudottir) with the LÖVE 2D game framework and Mark Washeim’s (poetaster’s) amazing efforts with his array of WebView apps such as Mah Solitaire.

But today we’re looking at something slightly different. We have two games from Adam Pigg (piggz) written using Qt to make best use of your phone’s capabilities and Sailfish OS in particular. While neither are new developments, they’ve not previously featured in the newsletter before so are both definitely worth taking a look at.

The other game is WORDLE which recently saw a new update from long-term Sailfish OS developer Slava Monich (Slava). We’re going to start with WORDLE which is now at version 1.1.3. While we’ve covered the game in the past it continues to be popular and falls solidly in the category of head-scratching puzzle games.

It’s a game that’s tricky to describe but easy to play. You, the player, get six guesses to identify a five-letter word. Each guess you make must be a real word itself — no random collections of letters — and if you get it wrong each of the letters will be highlighted in an appropriate way. Green means the right letter in the right place. Yellow is the right letter in the wrong place. Grey means the wrong letter in any place.

The game cleverly hits a sweet spot in terms of difficulty, strategy and luck. To win you’ll need to build on a good vocabulary and the ability to permute letters in your head. As you progress the number of possibilities that work reduces, which should make life easier, but there have been many an occasion when I’ve been left confused and bemused trying to find any word — literally any word — that fits.

Slava’s Sailfish OS implementation is one of the better ones. No ads, no restrictions, clean and responsive interface. It has a large dictionary to draw from covering twelve different languages. Plus there are the nice flourishes that are the hallmark of Slava’s well-written apps.

The latest version brings the game up to 1.1.3 with a brilliant new statistics page, improved layout and improved dictionaries. If you’ve not already tried it it’s well worth a play. And if you have, it’s worth grabbing the upgrade. It’s available from the Jolla Store, OpenRepos and Chum

Next up we have Galaxy Attack HD from Adam Pigg. The game takes the form of classic space invaders but with upgraded graphics and twenty-first-century controls. All of the classic elements remain: a synchronised grid of enemy invaders scrolls across the screen, gradually moving down towards your battleship at the bottom. The invaders drop bombs which must be dodged or hidden from. Between you and the invaders are four inadequate force-fields that wear down as the bombs land on them.

While your battleship is equipped with a vertical-shooting cannon, care must be taken not to accidentally destroy the shields from underneath. And so the game of skill and tactics unfolds.

The graphics are a nice upgrade on the original with three different types of animated enemies, plus the occasional horizontally scrolling mother ship. The sounds make an appropriately shrill “pew pew” sound when you tap the screen and, in the neatest touch of all, you control the horizontal movement of your battleship by tilting the phone to the left and the right.

While the gameplay might be straight out of the seventies the updated graphics and controls give it a fresh feel. It’s smooth and responsive and the only downside is that the physicality of the tilting controls means the bombs can sometimes feel impossible to dodge. I probably need to practice my phone-tilting technique.

Galaxy Attach HD is available from OpenRepos and Chum with the latest version at 1.0.9.1

Finally, we have Galaxy Attack’s companion game Jewel Rush also from Adam. This addictive, chirpy, game is an interesting spin on Tetris. We have dominoes rather than pentominoes for the polyominoes. This brings back memories of Puyo Puyo but again with a twist: matching colours don’t disappear until hit by a bomb, a special segment of the domino that’s round rather than jewel-shaped.

As with all of the greatest puzzle-arcade games, it’s simple to pick up, combining a mixture of planning, strategy and dexterity. The graphics are bold and clear. There’s an initially catchy tune but, given its diminutive length, repetition sets in fairly soon and I preferred playing the game with the music turned down.

Controls are entirely touch-based: swipe left and right to move the pieces in the relevant direction, tap to rotate and swipe down to drop. Simple and mostly effective. The very slight delay needed to register a swipe was a source of a little frustration as the top of the screen approaches and negotiating the pieces around the towers below becomes harder and more fraught. But ultimately that’s part of the fun.

Jewel Rush is by no means a new release although both it and Galaxy Attack are relatively new additions to Chum. It’s worth them being there as they both still hold up. Jewel Rush is at version 0.7.0 and is available from both OpenRepos and the Chum repositories. Both games are also available from the Jolla Store, except only as 32-bit binaries so if you’re using a 64-bit device you’ll have to grab them from one of the other locations.

I’ve had a lot of fun enjoying these games this fortnight. Thanks are due, as always, to the tireless work of the developers, both of these lovely apps and all of the other new releases we’ve been seeing recently.

Please feed us your news

Hope you enjoyed reading this community newsletter and feel the excitement! As always, please do not hesitate to share your ideas, thoughts, or suggestions for future newsletter topics. This is your news!

Please also join us at our community meetings on IRC, Matrix and Telegram. The next community meeting will be on the 5th September.

27 Likes

the new version of the telephony binder interface

Is it what is visible in this ofono-binder branch ? I’m completely ignorant on the topic, but from the commit messages, it looks like this new oFono plugin is using AIDL (Android Interface Definition Language). It sounds to me like an Android version of D-Bus, am I right ? If so, does it mean that using this interface would allow to be generic wrt. the device modem and its Android drivers ? Does Sony phones have support for this Android interface ? And bonus question : if it’s generic, does it also mean that community ports could use the (yet to be done) VoLTE implementation ?

10 Likes

My question from the other thread still stands — do you think asking Sony as a community to hurry up with the drivers is a good idea?

I read that as meaning anything that’s been discussed is with the current blobs, some things not working, which can be fixed later.

Of course if nothing works at all, there’s a misunderstanding that needs to be rectified :wink:

1 Like

We do have an active communication channel and cannot push more it takes what it takes.

11 Likes

Enigmatic choice of words.

In this case, I will peacefully act on my own.

That is the branch for development for using AIDL telephony interfaces with additional changes in libgbinder and libgbinder-radio. AIDL support for the non-VoLTE cases is generic and can be used on any devices which need it. Newer Android versions are moving to using AIDL for all hardware features while older versions used HIDL for those. Sony devices still use HIDL for telephony interfaces but at some point their future devices they will also move to AIDL because Android requires that now for new hardware platforms.

As for VoLTE in the C2 device, it uses a hardware vendor specific interface (unisoc) similarly as Sony and other Qualcomm devices use a different vendor specific interface (qti) so the VoLTE support currently being implemented will be useful only for unisoc devices. For Qualcomm device the already existing qti VoLTE-plugin is still used as before.

13 Likes

Thank you @mal, that’s clear explanations. Too bad that VoLTE still requires to use vendor specific interfaces. But it’s not so surprising due to the numerous pieces / options at play (I mean for instance how carriers handle SMS when VoLTE is registered, how fallback to 3G is handled…).

Well, “RPN” (reverse polish notation) is sure a typo. And why not picking up spectacle's word-play on “spec files”?

Hence my suggestion is to state:

spectacle, a Python tool to generate RPM spec files …

5 Likes

VoLTE really is the Achilles Heel of FOSS and FOSS-ish phone projects. Once 2G and 3G go dark where a user (and their phone) lives, device choices go way down.

1 Like

wordle really is my favourite game on sailfish. It’s nice to read as code, too :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Mine is Lines. It’s also made by Slava. It’s so addictive that I can’t recommend it to anyone.

4 Likes

The controls for jewel rush are very comfortable, I may consider switching some of my tetris-like games to such a control system and replace the thumbsticks and buttons

3 Likes

What’s your high score? :slightly_smiling_face: I enjoy wordle and lines both.

1 Like
  1. It’s actually the only time I’ve managed to get over 1000. And for wordle, after this I figured I can’t beat it and quit playing (no I didn’t):
2 Likes

Impressive, I’ve never get over 500.

Nice! I play in a social way. My GF and I play together, switching between German and English.

Often, a sequence of 3 or 4 words produces a nice frame for a strange Haiku!

Wordle is a properly good game on SFOS.

having just tried it today (grand total of 169!) I’m wondering how LONG it takes to get to 1000 !?? I think that’s pretty impressive!

Where do you folks get those scores? I played the game, but I don’t remember (and played it again now) any scores recorded - sure, the stats page is amazing now but… Am unable to see a score.