Request: official statement from Jolla about unusable Xperia 10 III devices

Giacomo, which Italian network is the most reliable? What are your requirements? I might then just swtich as well.-

ps- I know this is sort of off-topic and won’t help fixing the bug
ps2- should we write to Vodafone.it together to ask if they can share more details of their setup? More than what is there in the support page about APN and MMS.

1 Like

It’s not a question of reliability. Vodafone does not work with the Xperia 10 III on SailfishOS, but it works on Android, for who knows which reason. When I tried WindTre, I remember it had some issues too, I don’t remember exactly. Iliad works just fine. I don’t know the inners of the 4G stack, therefore I don’t know what to ask - and if anybody knew what to ask, they would probably also be able to locate and fix the issue.
There is a feature that Vodafone does have and all other Italian providers do not: 3G has been discontinued. I don’t know if this is common with other non-working providers.

No IP4 means…a DHCP problem?

Assuming no better logs are available with the release version of Sailfish, I wonder if Jolla could supply a debug .so (etc.) that does generate decent logs or allows better low level configuration?

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed their experiences to this topic.

We’ve been discussing it internally and we think there is one test that it would be helpful to perform; unfortunately it’s a non-trivial task.

From what has been said here, it seems Vodafone Italy is working with Android on the Xperia 10 III. However this test was presumably done using the pre-installed version of Android.

It would be helpful to know whether it’s working with the AOSP version of Android from Sony Open Devices, as the two versions aren’t the same, and Sailfish OS uses the drivers from the latter, so knowing this might help identify the source of the problem.

@jameson, you mentioned above that you’d be willing to perform potentially destructive testing on your device. Might you be willing reflash your device with a different version of Android to test it? If so, we’d need to provide instructions for how to proceed.

9 Likes

That’s fine for me. I am not familiar with AOSP installation, so please provide me with instructions for that.

6 Likes

Vodafone in Germany and in Spain does work with Xperia 10 III on SFOS.

1 Like

Great, thank you @jameson. It’ll take a little while for us to put this together, but we’ll get back to you with instructions.

5 Likes

My Lebara SIM in Australia works, and Lebara uses the Vodafone network infrastructure in Australia

National Vodafone networks (or those of any multi-country provider for that matter) are not all the same.

2 Likes

Reliability, here, I meant overall quality as a service. This isn’t given and it is certainly not easy to answer which provider would fit best.

ps- I experience something with Vodafone, and Sailfish OS, only in Italy : after every call, it takes about 20-40 seconds to reconnect to the network and thus making a new call, or receiving one, is not possible right after the end of a call! This happens only in Italy. I have not observed this is any of Greece, Germany, France, Switzerland. This is certainly (is it?) then something on the configuration side of the provider.

It’s a bit of work, I guess, but I’d be willing to take the test too.

1 Like

same with xperia 10 II in Germany with “Drillisch” or “Aldi Talk” as Provider. The reconnecting is very slow (10 to 20 sec) and you are not able to use the phone.

By the way, I experienced also the issue, that simcard in slot 1 refuses to work suddenly (Drillisch, Germany, 10 II) restart did not solve the problem. something got stuck in Slot 1. after moving the simcard to slot 2 and restart it got network. switching back to slot 1 removed the stuck issue and the network got back online. had to do that 3 or 4 time in the last 6 months.

JFYI - Sim 2 did not help my situation:

1 Like

I’m Italian too. What operators are you using to test on 10 III? Is Ho another story to Vodafone? I have WINDTRE, and 3G is still offered, since I use my sim even on an old ASUs that only supports Hsdpa.
I’m looking forward to see if Jolla fixes this bug

1 Like

A test with Ho (the low-cost variant of Vodafone Italy, for non-Italians) or with any Vodafone-based MVNO could be useful.

2 Likes

Since there are quite some Italian users in the forum, is there any confirmed mobile phone provider in Italy with which mobile internet on the Xperia 10 III just works? I will do the switch from Vodafone then.

1 Like

Iliad works fine. I have an Iliad sim in the X10III now and it works like a charm. That’s where I will switch my main Vodafone number if the issue does not resolve.

3 Likes

Very strange to hear that. I have Elisa operator and use Xperia 10 III and no issues. Hopefully I’m not just a lucky one out there. I would report here if I would have problems but so far, I have just travelled from the south to the north of Finland and back. Sometimes I visited Germany but also there, no issues with my Finnish Elisa card at roaming. I’ve now the Xperia 10 III with SFOS since spring 2022 and like it quite much except the missing Android Bluetooth support.

3 Likes

Have you roamed into Ålcom?

1 Like

Just don’t travel to Åland islands :wink:
My X10III works fine also in the home network Elisa/Saunalahti, but ÅLCOM is too much for it to handle

1 Like