Renaming i.e. 'mv'-ing tracks on the command line doesn't (ever) change that track's name in the music app

REPRODUCIBILITY: Always
OS VERSION: 4.5.0.19
HARDWARE: Xperia 10 Plus
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: Maybe

DESCRIPTION:

I think the title is pretty self-explanatory

PRECONDITIONS:

Some music somewhere in your file system from where it can be read by the media app

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Put some music files somewhere readable, for example, in the Music folder of an SD Card
  2. Change the name of any title from the command line, e.g. mv Music/Rebecca_black/Fraiyday.wav Music/Rebecca_black/Friday.wav (sorry, I couldn’t resist :slight_smile: )
  3. Wait forever for the change to be reflected in the music app.

EXPECTED RESULT:

The ‘mv’ also changes the title of the track in the music app

ACTUAL RESULT:

Nope.

MODIFICATIONS:

None

1 Like

You could run Tracker from Sailfish Utilities to refresh your music library, then you may find the edits you made, will appear.

2 Likes

Remember that most audio formats provide metadata (such as id3 tags), and tracker will store these regardless of the file name.

1 Like

I had forgotten that many years back, I set about removing ALL id tags from my music collection (16GB). The only time I use my device is for the odd podcast or streaming SomaFM (which the device also struggles to deal with), so it’s been a while since I’ve encountered any problems. I’m still using WinAMP on Windows for ALL my music.

I will assume the OP did actually fix his problem, but your point is very valid @ziellos, nice reminder, thanks!.

Does your media file have metadata tags? If so, then the behaviour is as-designed I guess.

If not we have a bug - does ‘touching’ the file help (so it gets a new modification date)?

Assuming @rsoto’s music files are indeed .wav files, they won’t have any tags as the file format doesn’t support metadata.

the [wav] file format doesn’t support metadata.

Yes and no.

There is no formal standard way of doing that, but there is software out there that does it anyway, e.g. MediaMonkey and iTunes(!).
I expect Tracker3 to be able to read files like that, but have not checked this.

1 Like

From @pherjung :

Download an audio with NewPipe ;
Open jolla-music ;
Check if the file is listed by jolla-music ;
Open a terminal ;
Rename the file. It’s usually located at ~/android_storage/Music ;
Check jolla-music (which hasn’t be closed) ;
File is not renamed

1 Like

@thigg please check comment #2 Renaming i.e. 'mv'-ing tracks on the command line doesn't (ever) change that track's name in the music app - #2 by Edz