[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

Search & read first!

I.e., update Storeman in Storeman to v0.2.12 and then again to v0.3.0.

Oh, shame on me, I somehow missed it that it came out today:

OS version 4.4.0.58 was released to all users as an over-the-air update.

Question remains whether it is the same as EA or some changes have been made… I guess I’ll re-download it just to be 100% sure.

1 Like

Presumably if the general release was different from the EA then it would be .59 or greater, and it appears to still be .58 - so I assume its identical.

3 Likes

Well, I re-downloaded it, anyway. Everything went 100% smooth, except for:

• contact avatars gone (fortunately, restored from backup)

• further 300 MB taken on rootfs, now 2.1 GB used. Amazing growing speed. Fortunately, I recently resized my rootfs to 4 GB so I still have 1,9 GB free left. Or else I would be running out of space now… I’m starting to regret that I didn’t resize it to 6 GB…

Other than that, everything works. I don’t have any of the problems that others are reporting.

1 Like

Thanks, I was asking because in menu ‘Settings/Sailfish OS updates’ it sais ''Remove or revert harbour-storeman" but I did not understand how to remove it.

Should’ve been enough to just long press on storeman icon and then the ‘x’, weird the cli command didn’t work

Again (sigh!): The proper way is to update Storeman before upgrading SailfishOS to 4.4.0; then the message to remove Storeman should not appear.

1 Like

You can do so on your own if you want by following this guide:

1 Like

Thanks. I have downloaded this file
and tapped on it, clicked “install” and it came with a message: “Problem with installing harbour-storeman-installer”.

Before this attempt, I have tried to do in command line “devel-su pkcon refresh” but it resulted with “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

It seems, I cannot remove the Storeman nor can update it. How can I proceed?
Can you please help?

After reading all the complaints in this thread, I am amazed that my update went without any serious problems. I uninstalled (and then reinstalled) Patchmanager and Storeman prior to updating, as well as OBEX filter Off and @daliste’s ofono patch, both of wihich the update was complaining about, and that’s it. Everything went smoothly, didn’t get stuck at the end, etc. Everything works: phone, WLAN, Bluetooth, browser (from the icon, too), and so on.

Remarks:

• I am worried about further hundreds of MB eaten by the update on rootfs. Before the update I had some 1,8 - 1,9 GB used on rootfs, now it’s 2,1 GB. Did the update itself add 300 MB, or are those some leftovers which should have been removed? Fortunately, I resized the partition to 4 GB or else I’d be running out of space now! Is this common for this update to eat 300 MB? Now the OS itself is reported in Settings/Storage as occupying 1,9 GB, plus 140 MB native applications and a few MB of system logs. Are your 4.4 systems also taking whopping 1,9 GB???

• After the update I installed a newer version of File Browser from Storeman. It has a bug in its desktop file. In [X-Sailjail] section it has Sandbox=Disabled whereas it should be Sandboxing=Disabled. It starts working correctly only after changing it.

• After the update some 90% of contact avatars disappeared. Fortunately, restoring the backup brought them back.

• Almost every problematic application can be fixed for now by disabling sandboxing this way. For instance Mashka was only seeing itself, but after modifying its .desktop file to disable sandboxing it works as usual

• It seems that the nasty problem with connecting to hidden WLAN networks has been fixed, which I am extremely thankful for.

• It also seems that I can finally send some MMS :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (but not always, large images fail, probably they don’t get automatically resized to meet the limit). I still cannot receive MMS if it doesn’t have the subject string.

• The browser works OK, but when started from a URL shortcut/icon saved in launcher app grid or by clicking an URL, it still shows its starting view, which then can be dragged down to reveal the actual page behind it.

• Battery life / CPU utilization doesn’t seem to be any different than on 4.3.

• Storeman (reinstalled after the update via Storeman installer installed from Chum) now at each launch shows an error notification that he couldn’t find some repository. But then it works normally.

• More to be tested soon.

2 Likes

As you already have a Storeman > 0.2.8 installed, it should offer you an update of itself to 0.2.12 or 0.3.0.

You may also try removing Storeman at the GUI, as @throwaway69 suggested.

But likely both actions will also fail, because every pkcon command you used resulted in “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

Before this attempt, I have tried to do in command line “devel-su pkcon refresh” but it resulted with “Fatal error: Url scheme is a required component”.

It looks like there is something severely wrong, unrelated to Storeman, likely with your repository configuration.

How can I proceed? Can you please help?

Open a new thread (“topic”) here at FSO, address me via @olf in the text and paste the output of ssu lr in a section between two lines with solely three backticks (```) in it. This is most easily done at an PC when being logged in to your SFOS device via SSH.

P.S.: You may also just upgrade SailfishOS, it will remove Storeman, but I strongly suggest to fix the issue which is exposed by pkcon refresh first. When pkcon refresh works fine, this also a viable route.

Seems to be pretty smooth sailing with this update on my XA2 with the short testing so far. Only weirdness is that I cannot seem to be able use Ticktick (Android todo app) anymore, refuses to start (splash screen appears for a bit and then app crashes). All the other android apps seem to work as expected.

With a quick glance to the android logs I spotted these:

03-30 18:30:05.037  5698  5698 E AndroidRuntime: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create application com.ticktick.task.TickTickApplication: java.lang.NullPointerException: null cannot be cast to non-null type android.app.WallpaperManager

and

03-30 18:30:11.435     8     8 E cutils  : Failed to mkdirat(/storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android): Read-only file system
03-30 18:30:11.440  5795  5795 W ContextImpl: Failed to ensure /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to prepare /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files/: android.os.ServiceSpecificException:  (code -30)
03-30 18:30:11.462     8     8 E cutils  : Failed to mkdirat(/storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android): Read-only file system
03-30 18:30:11.463  5795  5795 W ContextImpl: Failed to ensure /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to prepare /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files/: android.os.ServiceSpecificException:  (code -30)
03-30 18:30:11.484     8     8 E cutils  : Failed to mkdirat(/storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android): Read-only file system
03-30 18:30:11.486  5795  5795 W ContextImpl: Failed to ensure /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to prepare /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files/: android.os.ServiceSpecificException:  (code -30)
03-30 18:30:11.532     8     8 E cutils  : Failed to mkdirat(/storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android): Read-only file system
03-30 18:30:11.535  5795  5795 W ContextImpl: Failed to ensure /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Failed to prepare /storage/8ff87de4-0b37-4799-b09a-82773e869e07/Android/data/com.ticktick.task/files/: android.os.ServiceSpecificException:  (code -30)

Cannot really figure out the culprit by these though. I’ve tried to reinstall the app few times to no avail. I didn’t have any issues with Ticktick on 4.2 but I cannot say anything for 4.3 because pretty much passed through it to 4.4.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.

Updated my XA2 today without any problems.
Tested

• GPS,
  • Telephone,
  • OpenVPN (3 Servers)
  • Signal, Threema (both with calls over GSM and Wifi)
  • Fernschreiber
  • Calender
  • Contacts
  • Email
  • Allradio
  • Ownkeepass
  • Fahrplan
  • OSM Scout,
  • Here Wego
  • German Weather
  • Hafenschau
  • Mediaplayer with flac and mp3
  • Fennec
  • Tor Browser
  • Jolla Store
  • Chum
  • Storeman
  • FDroid
  • etc.

GPS fix seems faster now, Mashka fails to see most apps and overall the system is fast and stable.

Superpowers involved:

• No EA
  • No fiddling with things I do not understand
  • RTFM
  • KISS

I had to uninstall whois, though. Except from that:

• Backups,
  • reboot,
  • update,
  • reboot again
  • :slight_smile:
7 Likes

same solution for Okboard if not starting after update: edit okboard.desktop with same lines

I tried on my side (Xperia 10 II) and got the same problem. I didn’t check the logs, but I suppose they should be the same.

1 Like

Sadly, on the XA2 Ultra Dual SIM switching between SIM card slots is still buggy and nothing has changed in this regard.

There is a card in slot 1 and the second slot is empty. If I activate slot 2 and then turn it off, it also disconnects the card in slot 1 (it becomes greyed out and loses connection with mobile network). Only re-enabling slot 2 makes card in slot 1 start working again and reconnect to the mobile network. Or rebooting the phone with the slot 2 disabled.

It would be really great if someone could fix it in some foreseeable future…

3 Likes

The same is here. Update without problems and really all apps are running. OK, Storeman and Chum not tested yet. All Android apps are running. I have not had any problems with the update since the update to 4.1. But I also have not “improved” anything on the system.
Ok one thing I have improved on my XA2, I have increased the system partition to 6 GB. But not more.

Maybe that’s where all the errors you read here come from ?

2 Likes

I tried and I tired reinstalling patchmanager and storeman for simple features, that MUST be in the system “from the box”, after each update. 5 years, each update…
All other OSes have this basic need without side patches or app.

Still need adding lines to /usr/share/lipstick/androidnotificationpriorities for having sound notifications from chates. I think this bug exist more than year. After each update need add lines to this file, but if someone write simple maybe even sh script - it would be better.

1 Like

In addition the following apps need to un-sandboxed to work again - even when accessing the “hidden” folders:
harbour-lighthouse.desktop
harbour-ownkeepass.desktop
harbour-shellex.desktop
flowplayer.desktop