[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

You surely forgot a newline before [X-Sailjail].

How much space does your OS occupy after 4.4 upgrade? Mine grew to 2.1 GB. Is that normal?

As with the previous update, Iā€™m not getting a notification through Settings > Sailfish OS Updates. How can I debug that by itself and what is the best approach to get the update?

There are many apps disabling FireJailā€¦is there no better way?

1 Like

Does anyone know what is droid-system-discovery-0.1.3-1.2.1-jolla.armv7hl.rpm.new.zypp?
Looks like OS 4.4 update leftover. It is in /var/tmp/ and takes 66 MB of spaceā€¦

EDIT: Removed with no side effects, as well as several other large files in /var/tmp/ which looked like parts of interrupted / failed OS update download. Almost 100 MB of space on rootfs reclaimed.

wetab73
After reading all the complaints in this thread, I am amazed that my update went without any serious problems.

I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m amazed, but Iā€™m certainly happy my upgrade to 4.3.0.15 (Suomenlinna) then immediately to 4.4.0.58 (Vanha Rauma) went well, with no hangs or forced power-off/restarts required on my Sony Xperia XA2 dual sim.

Remarks:

• I am worried about further hundreds of MB eaten by the update on rootfs. Before the update I had some 1,8 - 1,9 GB used on rootfs, now itā€™s 2,1 GB. Did the update itself add 300 MB, or are those some leftovers which should have been removed? Fortunately, I resized the partition to 4 GB or else Iā€™d be running out of space now! Is this common for this update to eat 300 MB? Now the OS itself is reported in Settings/Storage as occupying 1,9 GB, plus 140 MB native applications and a few MB of system logs. Are your 4.4 systems also taking whopping 1,9 GB???

No, Settings/Storage reports 1.6 GB Used for System data, with 771.4 MB free.

• After the update some 90% of contact avatars disappeared. Fortunately, restoring the backup brought them back.

Known problem. I have same issue. Apparently Avatars were stored in a different way in early versions of the People App, and they went missing one of the updates. Luckily, I had a backup, so it is ā€˜justā€™ a case of reimporting them using the Settings/Apps/People ā€˜Import Contactsā€™ ā€˜From contact fileā€™ from a combined vcf I have on the SD card. Unfortunately, such imports donā€™t stick, and it will be necessary to do the same at the next upgrade.

• I still cannot receive MMS if it doesnā€™t have the subject string.

Ahh! That might explain why I donā€™t get some MMSs. Thank you.

• The browser works OK, but when started from a URL shortcut/icon saved in launcher app grid or by clicking an URL, it still shows its starting view, which then can be dragged down to reveal the actual page behind it.

At least the behaviour when you delete an open tab is now sensible, rather than placing back at the first open tab, from which you have to scroll down to the last one again. Now deleting a tab puts you at the previous tab, not at the top!

• Battery life / CPU utilization doesnā€™t seem to be any different than on 4.3.

Iā€™m yet to find out.

• More to be tested soon.

Likewise. I want to check if turning off Bluetooth turns off Bluetooth Low Energy as well. Iā€™ve noticed that even with Bluetooth turned off, other devices still see my Sailfish phone advertising itself on a previous version of Sailfish OS, which it really shouldnā€™t.

Edit to add: I donā€™t know about Bluetooth Low Energy, but plain Bluetooth appears to be active, even when disabled in settings.
Steps to reproduce:

1. Check that Bluetooth is disabled in Settings.
  2. On a separate Bluetooth capable Linux PC run ā€˜$ hcitool scanā€™ and ā€˜$ hcitool inqā€™
    $ hcitool scan
    Scanning ...
	        38:78:62:XX:XX:XX	Xperia XA2 - Dual SIM
	        YY:YY:YY:YY:YY:YY	n/a
    $ hcitool inq
    Inquiring ...
	38:78:62:XX:XX:XX	clock offset: 0x1e48	class: 0x5c020c

So it looks like the device is still beaconing, even when Bluetooth is apparently disabled.

2 Likes

I installed an old version of Ticktick (v. 6.0.24, latest being 6.2.4.5) and it launches and seems to work without any issues. I have not checked the logs yet.

If you feel motivate to test other version : https://www.apkmirror.com/?post_type=app_release&searchtype=apk&s=ticktick

Canā€™t get a GPS fix after the update, anyone experience anything like this?

Weird bug after about 4 days of usage. Dialer app is basically nonfunctional. Trying to place an outgoing call results in the dialer just hanging. Even after closing the app, the system still shows a call in progress (shows on lockscreen). Not receiving any incoming calls.

Sms messaging still works fine, as does everything else in the system. Iā€™ve tried rebooting, restarting the network, etcā€¦ but the bug still persists.

So it did work at first?

Iā€™d try shutting off the device, removing and cleaning the SIM card, booting the device without SIM, turn off, insert SIM, turn on. The modem devices tend to get stuck hard when they do get stuckā€¦

Could be a bad SIM card, too. Can you try it in another debice?

Yes. It originally worked great. I have also popped my SIM into an android device, and calls worked fine. Every signal related app I have installed sees the network, and sms is still working. Seems as if itā€™s the dialer app or something with ofono. I tried to place a call to voicemail a few minute ago, and according to the system, itā€™s still ongoing. Even after ofono-logger says the call has ended with an unknown error.

Edit: And the only way to end the call (get the dialer app to close) is to reboot the phone.

Iā€™ll see if Iā€™ll manage to do that; will be later next week at the earliest though.

Actually, I did some quick testing right after my last message and it seems that the last functioning version is 6.1.6.0. I tried 6.1.7.0, 6.1.8.6, 6.1.9.2 and 6.2.1.3 all of which didnā€™t get past the splash screen where it hanged for a while (maybe 4 second) and then crashed.
I ran all those version and the subsequent ones without noticeable issues on SFOS 4.3 afaik.

I will try to look into logs next week.

I tried everything I could think of to no avail. I had to ā€œroll backā€ using the systemā€™s device reset to 4.3, then update via the system back to current. Now it seems all is fine again.

1 Like

F**** Sailfish upgrade, Iā€™ve got xa2 plus and everytime I must solve some problems after upgrade. There is no way for do it right? What the hell the developers do there?
Now, message after installing that new version isnā€™t installed, but it actually is. Browser does not work. I cannot log in to account for recover my phone from backup, because it need to use browser (WTF)!!! I cannot use the phone normally. Before I use aliendalvik, patchmanager, storemanā€¦ Is the way to repair the system without reset it? (all media of my family are there)

1 Like

Can you access the phone via SFTP from computer? If yes, you can copy all media files from the phone to your computer before doing further steps to repair the device. Can you connect the phone to your home WLAN? Can you access Settings/Developer options?

Have you an access to a terminal? What happens if you run as root:

pkcon refresh
pkcon get-updates

Is it possible to share this file: /var/log/systemupdate.log?

Yes, via SFTP I backup files, I can connect to WLAN and to terminal, but donā€™t know what next. It seems easiest way is to resetā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, I tried first two commands, but no change to fix. I cannot share the file - I used total commander, but cannot find it in the phone