Am i going to get a functioning phone with Sailfish OS?

I am repeating myself from times to times…
For the future/new users arriving here,
And because I flashed the 4.4. on my daily XA2.

SFOS is still very nice so far and I have to say I have only minor issues.
Basic usage thoug: phone, sms, mms, web, mail, calendar, notes, wired music, patches, Chum, Storeman, Fernschreiber, gps not yet tried

3 Likes

I am repeating myself if I write again how happy I am with my Xperias since 2017. There are bugs for sure but essential things work and have always worked for me.

There are different types of users, though. For some a minor flaw will render the device totally useless and become the proof for a major conspiracy. Others enjoy the privilege of being more relaxed on some issues and e.g. rebooted after each and every crossing of European borders until the system improved somewhere around 2018 or 2019.

I certainly belong to the latter kind.

Of my two friends using SF one is happily on board since the Jolla 1 and the other exchanged his XA2 for an iPhone after a year of EA-releases, heavy customizing and -surprise- some malfunctions . Both are happy with their choices of friends and phones.

You will find my secret Superpowers in the link above.

the problem with SFOS is that you’re kind of forced to customize it cause it’s missing some basic functionalities. Of course if you’re iPhone 3 user then I’m not surprised you don’t even use MMS because it’s not working there. Same for sms delivery notification - iPhone? forget.
But if you were using some other phones then you probably have some expectations. For example I’d like some better keyboard which right now I can get with patchmanager but there are still missing features. Not to mention very cumbersome autosugestion. Generally those are really small things but in the end those small things are ruining the bigger picture.
Yet I must admit that finally SFOS is capable of handling webpages and for this one more time kudos for updating the engine! Now the small issues need to be fixed.

My wife get an iphone (wich generation ?) and me XA2 Sailfish 4.4.
Even if iOS is more and more stable and integrated, I’ll never change my SFOS for an iphone.
The majors apps are working well on my XA2 (whatsapp, signal, bank…) and.there is many apps on native SFOS which are really efficient (herewego, s1p, sailslack, and so on) even rain is falling.
Yes, meeting bugs everydays, but SFOS never stop working !

3 Likes

Yes, maybe worth mention to give a honest image completing what I said before.
I am coming from Nokia N900 which is a legend beast but quite old. I have few idea of all what I miss from nowadays phones. (But I know what still I miss from N900 :nerd_face:)

1 Like

MMS will cease to exist by the end of 2022 where I live. So: yes. I did never actually use MMS and no one I know does so.

SMS are delivered and there is a notification. Works and has always worked with my prepaid Vodafone card.

If you want to see what my normal use is click on the link in my post before. It is a bit more than clicking web sites.

btw: I actually had an iPhone given to me from my former employer. It was an SE and I did not like it.

1 Like

What? I have been dreaming of being able to quickly send pictures since 10 years, I get an SFOS device :partying_face: and 3 month later I hear MMS will disappear?
If they diappear where you leave, I can imagine the rest will follow.
Is that truly true? Can’t believe it…

(Sry, Its in German.)

What about sending pictures using maybe Signal, Threema, Telegram, Email… Doves?

1 Like

oh so because you won’t use it so other part of the world also shouldn’t?

No, iPhone doesn’t have sms delivery confirmation. There’s only info about sms being sent not delivered.

and? Does it mean my usage is worse? Maybe you’ve got lover expectations. This is perfectly fine. It’s similar with cars. You don’t need to buy Lexus if you don’t need it there’s also Dacia and it’s not a shame to use it but don’t say that it’s fine for everybody as it’s not.

Thanks for the link.
Sure. But IMHO, MMS has the advantage of working even for those who are always offline (from data, I mean).
Being always online gives me the impression to have a leaking tap + opened windows at 0 floor all the time.
I might be 100% wrong, maybe.
And I’d have to install all these apps, also.
I know, I know…
I’ll reconsider the option for Doves though :–)
EDIT: I think we went OT

1 Like

well then sorry for you. We still have it and it works, other countries also so no. Beside MMS works on SFOS but there are bigger small problems.

Where shall I begin… :joy:

• My expectations as a lover… well, not your concern, I am afraid.
  • Your usage of MMS? I am sorry. I do not give a whatever. Do as you like and get happy with your attitude and MMS
  • iPhones? I said it before: Not my friendly department. Had one. got rid of it. Don’t care.
  • Your usage of SF? Not my fabulous concern. I pointed out, that your suggestion of my usage is not true.

And a Lexus? Srsly? Man, don’t start that thing with cars. A Lexus… :rofl:

And please, let’s stop here. Before it gets to motorbikes and you suggest a Harley… Don’t love them… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As a new user the thing I hate is the keyboard really unusable.
with an whitout haptic.
unfortunately keyboards is a main function and i cant really use Sailfish because of that …
how you can write a mail with this keyboard ?

Can you elaborate the problem with the keyboard please?

at least on my Xperia 10ii very very difficult to type because react very slowly. And is very short (i found a pach to let keyboard be taler but dont work) so is very easy to mispell. Turning off haptic was a small benefit (but you have to turn it off elsewhere!!) because is a little faster but if you type a text at normal speed you miss lot of letters, you have to tap very slow.

you see the thing is that if you have lower expectations then it’s fine but do not try to enforce them onto others.
Also from what I see you’re using Android apps on SFOS so from my point of view, you’re not the target that should be considered for SFOS future as you have plenty of phones that you can use.

you can try patchmanager and install BlackBerry keyboard patch. It’s not great but usability improves with SFOS keyboard by around 50% I think.

1 Like

I could add a few cents. On Xperia 10 in landscape mode keyboard is totally unusable. The “keys” that are at the edge of the phone are impossible to press without doing some gymnastic with the fingers. The solution would be to add a margin to the keyboard from both left and right side I would try to guess that a margin of one “key” size would probably improve the situation a lot.
For the portrait mode, it seems the blackberry keyboard patch helps a lot at least in my case and many other users of that patch. Not sure if this could be added as a system setting but I don’t think BB has patent on that.

I’ll try that! many thanks, I see patchmanager report is incompatible with my version. I can proceed?