[Release notes] Vanha Rauma 4.4.0.64

There were no statements about older devices. The only statement said, that it will come to the X10 II first, presumably because that’s the hardware they are developing it on first. Presumably other devices will be supported at a later point, but it makes sense to target one specific set of hardware first instead of spreading out development resources trying to do everything at once.

5 Likes

Thank you for this update!.Much appreciated!
The update went smooth on my XA2 plus. Data were saved (sd card not possible because of broken card slot).
The browser is faster now.
MagicEarth starts faster (not yet checked while driving).
Fernschreiber: video calls not yet possible.
Storeman doesn’t work anymore. Removing and re-installing does not help.
The same with Chum.

2 Likes

I forgot: concerning sandboxing it’s really annoying that we have to agree with all the permissions with every application.

1 Like

This annoying asking for all permissions occurs, because if the needed permissions are not defined in an app, it asks for all. And personally, I think this will be more a temporarily phenomenon until all apps are updated in near future and then will have their really needed permissions defined.

edit: Chum works if you go to Chum settings, there on the bottom of the page, enter ‘4.3.0.12’ into Chum repository field. Then apps are back, but the old versions. For the future, to get the updated app versions as soon as they are available, you must then cancel this entry so that Chum searches for 4.4 versions in future.

3 Likes

How can I open the new “Add memory leak test pages” in the browser?

Hi
In my experia x I update sailfishos from 4.3 to 4.4
to test my application,
unfortunately a page *.qml with

import org.freedesktop.contextkit 1.0
property string networkState: “waiting”
QtObject {
id: network
property bool isOnline: state.value === ‘connected’
property ContextProperty state

onIsOnlineChanged: console.log('Env.Network.isOnline:', isOnline)

state: ContextProperty {
        id: networkOnline
        key: 'Internet.NetworkState'
        onValueChanged: {
            console.log('Env.Network.state', value, network.isOnline)
        }
    }
}

this page can’t be loaded!

if I comment this portion of code, the application work well!

IS THIS A NEW BUG “contextkit” as
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/contextkit-not-working-when-sailjail-is-activated/9047

Dear Jolla,
it’s really sad that there still is no Xperia 10 III support. I think last October you mentioned that the Xperia III will be supported around the beginning of next year. Since there was a really good black friday deal I ordered a Xperia III in November. Since then the brand new phone is lying around waiting for the Xperia III update. Meanwhile my Xperia 10 is slowly dying. It switches off constantly, probably due to battery degradation.

Will it take another 3 or 4 months now to get the next update with Xperia 10 III support? I just don’t think the Xperia 10 will make it that long… I would have to leave the ship then and just start using the Xperia 10 III with the preinstalled Android OS. After 12 years using Nokia N9 / Jolla C / Xperia / Xperia 10 that would be sad…

8 Likes

There are spare part batteries available at many websites for the X10 !

While Storeman will install on Xperia 10ii (download RPM harbour-storeman-0.2.12-1.aarch64.rpm and can install .rpm using the stealth (hidden) file manager in settings|storage|user data|download (directory where .rpm is saved - Once installed Storeman seems to be in a constant state of “Initialising” As a result the pull down menus for individual aps don’t work.

Anything to get Storeman to work on Xperia 10ii with Sailfish 4.4. installed would be welcome please. Installed yes - able to function and install aps - NO.

Thanks Mike

Instructions to build a ‘beta’ like sfos image for xperia 10 iii are publically available.

1 Like

If you start it from the terminal it is fine, so this seems to be a sandboxing issue. https://github.com/storeman-developers/harbour-storeman/issues/236

2 Likes

Mike, you chose to install an EA release, hence you ought to know how to handle such a situation and find this comment at Storeman issue #160 by yourself, and maybe also that this fix will likely be part of the next Storeman release for SFOS ≥ 4.2.

If not, please unsubscribe the EA releases; they are not suitable for “getting the updates earlier”. They exist for people willing to test early and fully expecting that some things will break.

And if you have not found anything related to an issue you observe (though a solution was already reported here, yesterday), please at least try starting the app at the command line (e.g. here, harbour-storeman; and you would have seen that it works just fine) and report your issue at the issue tracker of that software including the CLI output of it etc.

If that is too demanding or just technical gibberish for you, then rather stay away from EA releases (or have multiple SFOS devices at hand, so it does not matter if one is unusable for weeks).

Please do look and search thoroughly (both) before writing complaints!

13 Likes

this happened to me on 4.3.

was fine with a restart.

2 Likes

Think the response is a bit OTT @olf I didn’t post a complaint just a comment on my experience.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I’ll work through what it contains to see if there is anything helpful to fix my issue. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

When you enter ‘about:memory’ in the address bar, does that work?
It works on desktop firefox.

4 Likes

Yes! I Thank you! I thought it was non-Firefox related.

1 Like

Has anyone a solution for Amazfish? Is not working anymore in 4.4.0.58
Thanks!

Because IMS/VoLTE modem interfaces are proprietary, it takes time to reverse-engineer those. And the solution is likely to end up being vendor/device specific. But yes, it’s possible. At least theoretically.

8 Likes

OK @slava , that I understand. Thank you for explanation. BUT, isn’t there a Sony Open Device program?

So, why can’t Jolla simple get the Open Device specs from Sony instead of reverse-engineering something? And, as I understood until now, the whole SFOS project is vendor/device specific. There are a few Sony devices officially supported plus some community ports inofficially. And, what is so top secret on some fu**ing VoLTE specs, that is the industrial standard in telecommunications of the whole world in the next decade? Why can’t Sony be so nice and kindly provide their VoLTE specs as part of their Open Device program? I do not understand this.

edit: Or is simply legal and/or economic stuff the reason for this misery?

3 Likes

If you wish to dive deeper - yes, Google standardized IMS/VoLTE interfaces and Sony provides implementations of those but they are Java interfaces, meaning that to actually use them you would have to bring up the whole Android VM. That doesn’t help SFOS adaptation. The lower level interfaces usable by SFOS and particularly ofono (e.g. binder APIs) are proprietary and require reverse-engineering (albeit not a super-difficult one).

It’s not clear yet if that’s a trend or not, but that could mean a deliberate shift towards hiding native interfaces and making it harder to use native Android drivers/middleware in non-Android systems like SFOS.

10 Likes