Many thanks to you our active contributors for your feedback and proposals.
Special thanks to Kees van Niftrik for allowing us to use his beautiful photo of old Rauma at the OS update page in Settings.
Table of content
Update version history
- 2022-03-17: OS version 18.104.22.168 was released to Early Access subscribers as an over-the-air update. No support for Xperia 10 III, yet.
- 2022-03-29: OS version 22.214.171.124 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. No support for Xperia 10 III, yet.
- 2022-05-18: OS version 126.96.36.199 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Support for Xperia 10 III added.
- 2022-07-13: OS version 188.8.131.52 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. VoLTE beta support added for Xperia 10 II.
- 2022-09-30: OS version 184.108.40.206 was released to all users as an over-the-air update. Microsoft Exchange account got a new authentication method.
Yes, 220.127.116.11 is a stop release .
– Is 18.104.22.168 also a stop release?
– Yes. We will switch the rpm compression from xz to zstd on 4.5.0. As the prerequisite, we have enabled zstd in deltarpm and related tools in the 4.4.0 release.
So far, all Sailfish 4 releases have been stop releases. Because of this, if there is a reason to “reset” an Xperia device, please do not do it with “device reset” but, instead, re-install Sailfish - see the comparison .
The blogs about Vanha Rauma and Meet the Xperia 10 III with Sailfish OS .
Device models supported by Sailfish X
The supported Sailfish X devices are listed in this table.
Sailfish OS is available for Xperia 10 III starting from 22.214.171.124 .
The instructions for installing Sailfish OS to Sony Xperia X, Xperia XA2, Xperia 10, Xperia 10 II (mark 2), Xperia 10 III (mark 3) devices are here - covering Windows, Linux, and macOS computers.
Read this, please, to learn about the Sailfish X licence.
The list below contains examples of new features (and some bug fixes) added to Sailfish OS, compared to the previous public release 126.96.36.199. The release notes of 188.8.131.52 can be found here .
- OAuth2 authentication taken into use in Exchange account creation. Microsoft deprecates Basic Authentication for Exchange accounts on September 30th. Create the new accounts (sooner or later you will have to) with option “Microsoft 365” in Settings > Accounts.
- This has been tested with limited number of Exchange servers and configurations.
- It could well be that some accounts may be unable to login.
- Quick and easy way to copy a web page’s URL by long-tapping the URL at the toolbar
- Using the Like button on Facebook fixed
- Adding a website to the app grid used to get an incorrect icon. Fixed now.
- Performing secondary actions (e.g. opening context menu, selecting text, saving image) on webpages improved
- Additional improvement for quoting on Sailfish OS Forum
- Downloading attachments from web Gmail works now
- Signing in to Twitter accounts via Browser
- IMS (IP Multimedia Subsystem) registration improved
- Call forwarding query fixed
Sailfish OS Forum: issues reported by the community fixed in this update
The detailed changelog is here.
Updating your device
Your device must be connected to the Internet and signed into your Jolla account.
Start the update from “Settings > Sailfish OS updates”. Avoid running updates on the command line, please.
We warmly recommend making some 3-4 GB of free space for the internal storage of your device (
/home ) before starting the update. Processing an OS update of almost 1 GB requires a good amount of work area. Move your pictures and videos to the SD card (or to your PC or cloud service).
This is the usual drill before attempting to update your devices:
Take a backup of your data before attempting to update your device and save the backup to an SD card or to some other off-device location (PC, your cloud service). Note that videos and images are not included in cloud-based backups. Do not reboot the device while the update is in progress. Do keep the phone connected to a battery charger during the whole process. The device screen may blank out during the update process; you may wake the display with a short press on the power key to monitor the progress.
For detailed instructions on updating software, read our help article in Zendesk.
Sailfish OS does not support downgrading. Never try to downgrade the OS as this would break your device.
After downloading an update and selecting “Install” in the pulley menu, the device runs a restart first. In the case of a device with the user-space encrypted, you will need to type the security code before the actual installation can start.
Notification concerning apps from Open Repos
The apps below have been reported to cause problems when installing the previous OS updates. We recommend that you uninstall them before proceeding to the OS update. At least, read the recent comments on those apps.
- GetiPlay has caused problems to some users - see this post.
- If you’ve previously installed the RIME input engine from Open Repos, please remove both that and its version of libyaml-cpp before upgrading, as the latter will cause the upgrade to fail
- If you use Privoxy, be sure to disable it before downloading the update, especially if you have configured the HTTPS-inspection. The latest update is from September. There is no information about compatibility with Sailfish OS. See author’s instructions .
- If you use Aliendalvik Control, see the author’s instructions . It says there “Application has no support for SFOS 4 and later”
- If you use Storeman, please update it to a recent version before upgrading Sailfish OS. Storeman Installer ≥ 1.2.6 and Storeman ≥ 0.3.0 have been confirmed to work fine on Sailfish OS 4.4.0. Further information is available at the OpenRepos Storeman page. Note the mention on Chum GUI.
- If you use Phonehook be careful. The latest update (32-bit) is from October 2020. The 64-bit version (Xperia 10 II) was published in May 2021.
- If you use OKBoard (a.k.a. Magic Keyboard), update it first to version 0.6.34 which has the fix for the “Installation not complete” error. Also, read the author’s advice , please.
We have relocated the known issues to a table in Sailfish OS documents. The issues remain the same as in 184.108.40.206.
Known issues - Xperia 10 II & Xperia 10 III
- If VoLTE doesn’t register when enabling it for the very first time, please try to reboot your device.
The word ‘Registered’ should appear under “4G calling” on the menu page Settings → System → Mobile network in a few seconds.
How did the upgrade go?
- I had no issues during the upgrade process
- I had small issues but was able to handle them
- I got into serious trouble when upgrading my device (please help!)