[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0 EULA update

They announced it 20 October 2023: Sony´s Open Devices Program welcomes Xperia 10 IV and 10 V | Developer World

And released it 2 November 2023: Software binaries | Developer World

5 Likes

Oh, that’s great, thank you. So it looks that the list on their Open Devices portal has not been updated.

https://developer.sony.com/supported-devices-and-functionality#secondary-menu-desktop

2 Likes

Funnily enough the page you linked to under: Useful links → Kernel version is updated.

1 Like

Indeed :slight_smile: Well, there isn’t much differences between the IV and V so hopefully both will be supported. Anyway, for reasons that wouldn’t interest anyone here so I won’t elaborate on them, I will need to make a blind choice and get one of them within the next few days… I hope it’ll be a hit rather than a miss.

2 Likes

Come to think of it; should an EULA be acknowledged by the user?
I dont recall clicking on any “I AGREE” buttons in the latest update? Is the EULA valid and binding in this situation?

1 Like

In the EULA it is written in section Sailfish OS Terms of Use:

You agree to these terms by downloading or using Sailfish OS, any included additional components and all documentation (“Software”) or by clicking on the “Accept” button next to this Agreement when downloading, installing and/or using the Software.

2 Likes

You did though, when you chose “INSTALL” after reading “By installing this software update, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the terms outlined in the Sailfish OS End User License Agreement”.

(At least I’m assuming this is about what the update info said. I have no idea how it goes if you update through Terminal.)

2 Likes

That is correct, thanks!

1 Like

In practice, I believe that the legally important change with the EULA update is this bit here:

-This is an Agreement between you and Jolla Ltd, including its affiliates
-and suppliers (collectively referred to as “Jolla” or “we”).
+This is an Agreement between you and Jollyboys Ltd., including its affiliates
+and suppliers (collectively referred to as “us” or “we”).

The contractual partner of the end user has changed from Jolla Ltd to Jollyboys Ltd. I have no idea if the previous version would have allowed Jolla Ltd to assign the licensing agreement to a third party or not, but this at least takes care of that anyone could claim that they have not entered into a legal agreement with any entity known as Jollyboys Ltd and that Jollyboys Ltd or their representative has no legal competence in a matter that could arise.

1 Like

I just found that you all also need to read new privacy policy.

At this point we wanted to take the opportunity to review our privacy policy, and the personal data we store about our users. The practical changes are not huge, but here are the key points:

• The legal entity changed from Jolla Ltd. to Jollyboys Ltd. We are still the same team, just under a new name.
  • Added information about the 3rd party service providers we use, and clarified some wording of the privacy policy in general.
  • Removed phone number and address from the Jolla Account information. We do not really need them, so there is no reason to keep them.

We would ask you to now read our revised privacy policy, and mark that you accept it by logging in to your Jolla Account and ticking the accept box.

I guess you will get the same email as I did.

1 Like

Indeed, they should mention if IV and V will be supported. I guess that will come out with Sauna changelog and blog post :wink:

2 Likes

@rainemak made the following posts last month regarding future devices:

I think I’m right in saying that they’ve always been cautious about officially announcing support for new devices, it’s a shame Sony have yearly releases 18-24 month gaps would be ideal for our niche in terms of having a port ready before they’re marketing the next device.

4 Likes

Isn’t this “problem” easily solvable by supporting every second model? Let’s say that only odd (or even) models are supported by SFOS. Or, alternatively, whichever model is available (and suitable in terms e.g. availability of AOSP binaries) every second year.

It’s been a month since then, so it’s not that we’re too impatient. It’s just that soon it’ll be a real challenge to buy those devices.

Hence the request wasn’t to give official statements or commitments but just about any unofficial heads-up. Even something like “most probably…” would be very helpful to make the choice.

2 Likes

Isn’t this “problem” easily solvable by supporting every second model?

Yes and no - in that you are halving the device availability windows for any prospective SFOS customers, because Sony will still only be producing each device for one year.

Imagine the forums posts:

Enthusiastic prospective SFOS user: “d00d!, so excited to join you guys in the joyous world of mobile linux”
Grizzled old forum veteran: “come back in 2026, second hand Xperia 10VI’s disappeared from ebay four months back.”

2 Likes

Oh, come on!
The never ending device discussions are off topic here. There are plenty of threads already!

13 Likes

You READ this far?! :slight_smile: Colour me impressed.

7 Likes

Oh, did someone mention hia favorite bug or tablet refund already? :person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Like @attah kindy commented earlier, discussion is going off topic here. Whilst we normally do not close release notes topics, but this will be soon closed.

3 Likes

I understand where this is coming from, there being factors necessitating no statements at this point, and no one wants every thread being made about [that one hot topic], but… how should it not incite a general device discussion and make it very on-topic when the highlight in the very opening post is the dropping of support for the old device base?

I consider myself a know-nothing, but I would hazard to believe that if and as 4.6.0 will the final release for older devices, it would also be the release which has the overlap in the support for the old and the new supported device base.

Not that a 4.5.0 tail-end EULA wouldn’t be an exciting thing too, but…

The part about predictive text input isn’t clear to me. Will it stop to work when I install the update? It is an offline feature, right?!

If that is the case I don’t see any reason to install the update yet.

1 Like