Xperia 10 V support? Is SFOS to be continued at all?

XQ-DC72 is the model number of the 8GB variant, it isn’t the one available from Sony UK, Germany, or Finland, when I checked their official stores this weekend, but it is listed on the Hong Kong website.

Searching for that model number, or “Xperia 10 V 8GB” on ebay or Amazon should bring you listings (at least in the UK versions), though on the former quite a few are shipping from China which brings its own risks of Customs charges so take that into consideration.

This is all great news, but I think we all make the mistake reading the specs of the phone and assuming they will be available for SFOS too (e.g. 4500mAh battery on 10III performs equally to a smaller size battery on another model, same issue with the camera specs shows 4 cameras, in reality we have only 2, etc).

I might buy a license to support jolla but I will wait before deciding to upgrade my 10III.

1 Like

You can subscribe to RSS from the blog for fast official notification.

1 Like

I bought phone from Amazon once. Box seems sealed originally. It was marked as new but most likely a refurbished resell as I got Sony-Ericson charging cable and Wi-Fi hotspots and language was already set. Seller claimed that he tested the phone first and send another nonSony cable.
Will not repeat that experience.

The one cover that came with my 10 III, doesn’t cover the sides. Wholly only back and top (with holes for audio jack and the mysterious breathing hole) and only corners at the bottom.

So no problems with edge swipe.

1 Like

We’ll tell when it’s official. SoC (and adaptation) wise both 10 IV and 10 V are close to each other. This likely implies that we support them both or neither of them. I’ll update you on community meetings and/or newsletters in coming weeks.

16 Likes

Like said in during the fosdem / community event, there are some things that we’d like iron out from the Sony Xperia 10 IV and Xperia 10 V.

9 Likes

Besides 8GB RAM option for X10V, is SFOS going to support eSIM?

(facepalm)

The reason the 10 IV and 10 V were added so late was because Jolla abuses unpaid, community contributors over at Open Devices and does not contribute to device bringups. Yes, there are some contributions every now and then but absolutely zero w.r.t full-blown, component/device bringups.

Camera work for zambezi/murray was published around October thanks to Pavel (who I am fairly certain got 0 cents from Jolla), so I expect they waited for that. Nevertheless: please stop praising Jolla for work they did not do, it is genuinely disgusting as an outsider.

I will give Jolla credit for libhybris and all the middleware they juggle around to make their OS work, but not this. All the code they needed to make the new Xperia work was already available.

Likely in the future under a proprietary package, as we’ve seen with VoLTE.

3 Likes

The reason the 10 IV and 10 V were added so late was because Jolla abuses unpaid, community contributors over at Open Devices and does not contribute to device bringups.

Highly likely company administrative problems over the past 2 years were a delay factor multiples larger than this. Hard to imagine Jolla or any sane company setting their release schedule to a semi-evil volunteer work grab plan.

3 Likes

Well, this doesn’t answer my question fully so far, since @rainemak doesn’t sound 100% convinced that this will eventually happen, but it definitely rises hopes.
So, thanks a lot :slight_smile:

But I have to append:
Of course to make new phones available is no easy task and the number of devices/models which even make it possible is limited, we all know that.
Also the people here are not exactly living on the bleeding edge of features and hardware and usually do not even want the over scaled blown spying stuff f.e. some fruit company offers. Yet, if there is literally no support for newer devices, who would want to use SFOS?
I know quite a few people who want to use it, but paying prices for old hardware which are comparable to “up to date” at least mid range android phone prices doesn’t make it exactly attractive (if even able to get one of the supported models).
Not talking about having a choice of different devices. The discussion above also shows that more than clearly.

The Gigaset series would seem to be possible f.e. (and/or the Volla Models of it), a port is already available for some models too. Why is there so little (obvious) effort? I’m sure many people would be more interested if there would at least a very little range of devices, not only like one outdated Sony (can’t really count in the yet older Sony’s here, sorry)

@voidanix for me this always looked like part of the concept, but I share a somewhat the impression that for a company there is little effort visible to make newer hardware possible.

China/Hong Kong origin

Let’s re-evaluate in 1-2 years, when the company has had some “normal” time since solving massive administrative problems. You simply can’t make large bets in such situations. Also, this :thread: is about X10V.

3 Likes

I also would not make a strategic investment relying on the further availability of Gigaset smartphones, seeing that the company faces insolvency and probably tear down. It might well be that the smart phone branch survives, but I did not see any news coverage with this respect up to now.

Edit: In the Volla blog the issue was adressed in the November news:

Lieferstatus

Nach einer Lieferverzögerung unseres Lieferanten sind jetzt wieder ausreichend Volla Phone X23 verfügbar. Auch unser Flaggschiffmodell Volla Phone 22 ist nun wieder in allen Varianten ausreichend auf Lager für einen sofortigen Versand.

Einige Anwender äußerte Sorge über die Insolvenzanmeldung unseres Lieferanten Gigaset Communications. Die Insolvenz ist eine selbstverwaltete Insolvenz für eine Sanierung. Wir sehen beste Aussichten für die Zukunft unseres Lieferanten durch seine einzigartig effiziente und flexible Fertigungstechnologie in Deutschland. Das Geschäft geht derweil uneingeschränkt weiter.

Translation by DeepL:

Delivery status
After a delay in delivery from our supplier, we now have enough Volla Phone X23 in stock again. Our flagship model Volla Phone 22 is now also back in stock in all variants for immediate dispatch.

Some users have expressed concern about the insolvency filing of our supplier Gigaset Communications. The insolvency is a self-administered insolvency for reorganisation purposes. We see the best prospects for the future of our supplier thanks to its uniquely efficient and flexible production technology in Germany. In the meantime, business will continue without restriction.

1 Like

To be blunt, from a pure customers point of view the only thing I possibly could say is: I don’t care and I don’t know about such problems.
But honestly and to be fair, the result remains the same, who would want to buy a system which can only run on a very few devices (effectively only 1 of them acceptable at all yet in my eyes ) which are old, both very bad available and expensive. Without absolutely having no clue about these internal problems this plain looks like wrong priorities to me. No any new devices support means pretty soon EOL for SFOS imho. Not necessarily the latest hardware as already pointed out though.

PS: I know this is about the X10V, I started this topic, I only mentioned that to point out options.

Let’s reach an agreement. Should Jolla open source components so the community can contribute, or keep components closed source since the community should not contribute?
Or should Jolla open source components and let people use them, but without contributing anything?

1 Like

From Sony’s website:

The XQ-DC54 supports the use of one nano SIM card and a memory card . You can use the device as a dual SIM device by inserting a nano SIM card and configuring an eSIM. The XQ-DC72 supports the use of either two nano SIM cards or a nano SIM card and a memory card.

In my case I would need to source XQ-DC72 since none of my operators provide eSIM. :frowning:

To my opinion the best thing the new Jolla company can do when it gets a large sum of money from the EU is creating a Jolla 2.
I have used Sailfish as daily driver since Jolla 1. In my drawer several outdated and disabled Sony devices. I think that porting Sailfish to a new Sony device every few years has many disadvantages: each porting has bugs, Sony devices are only for sale during a short time, this porting does not attract ordinary customers and last but not least: it is not sustainable. In fact it is an old approach.
The Jolla 1 was modern, not only because of the OS, but also because we could open it. Such a device with a replaceable battery and perhaps other parts would be best. This is confirming the policy of the EU. This would also mean an opportunity for Jolla to stabilise the OS.
I certainly will not buy a new Sony. The devices are nice, with a cardslot and a jack and good enough specs, but the narrow ratio doesn’t attract me and it is not sustainable.
Recently I got hands on a refurbished Vollaphone. I can open it. The battery can be replaced. The sound is good (better than the 10 III), camera so so, a great battery, everything works as it should be. It is not as charming as Sailfish, which is the most beautiful and intuitive OS I know, but since I am not a dev and too old to become one, I am glad that I can obtain a ‘ready made’ device. The 10 III will be used at home without sim. I am sorry to mention this.

4 Likes

This is also about the future of Jolla/Sailfish so there is nothing wrong with the suggestion to coöperate with Gigaset like Volla and Rephone do. On the contrary, it is a good idea. Gigaset is prepared to customise.

1 Like

On the contrary, I think this may be an opportunity for both sides, especially in this situation.
Also- I don’t see much of a strategic investment here, a port already exists for the GX4, all it would require is official support. No idea about the GX6 to be honest, but obviously it is possible for Gigaset models.
Thinking this through and after the response from @rainemak that it is already being worked on the new Sony models, there could be soon 10IV & 10 V support, additionally GX4 support without much further investments and perhaps GX6 thinkable. Doesn’t sound all to bad to me?

1 Like