[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.19

Thanks – I figured it out. The ‘dd’ backup filled up my SD card without reporting an error and MobaXterm & FileZilla didn’t detect that either. I only found out by trying to edit the file with nano. :upside_down_face:

@kan_ibal Using port 22 seems to automatically set SFTP in Filezilla, by the way.

1 Like

I seem to have considerably increased battery consumption on my Xperia XA2 after this update. Otherwise it’s working fine. Previously I did not have any issues with the battery draining to 0% overnight, now it has happened multiple times and I am finding I need to charge it during the day also if I use it at all.

2 Likes

when the battery is going down fast or the phone is getting hot, if you check top in a terminal, do you find the process sdcard or android.providers.media.module running with high cpu?

for me, SFOS4.5 aliendalvik uses enormous cpu forever in those two procs (and SFOS4.4 does not)

i have to stop android service whenever i put my phone down or it will be dead in four hours

edit: this is still a constant issue after a full week. it is not an initial media scan, which always happens when installing or reinstalling aliendalvik, and takes about 5minutes for me in SFOS4.4

1 Like

No problems with App Support on my XA2 – an extra 5% drain at most overnight, same as 4.4.

1 Like

Hi, this is my feedback about the release - It is my first time with Sailfish OS

Installation:

I followed the standard installation procedure but the initial phone conditions were not completely matched: Andorid 12 instead of Android 11 and possibly something other like BSP/driver?

System:

• Xperia X10 II dual SIM, model XQ-AU52 originally with Andorid 12
  • Sailfish OS Jolla-4.5.0.19 qau52-1.0.0.19
  • AOSP Android 10.0 kernel 4.14 seine
  • Free license

Defects:

• critical : no SIMs, GPS on, WLAN connected but no position: InfoGPS found 7 satellite 0 lock

• critical : SIM in routing, network manual selection is slow and often back to search

• annoying : automatic timezone does not work even with internet connection and GPS on

• annoying : Xperia 10 II mobile data does not work in 2G and 3G networks on SIM2 which is a known issue¹ but it works for me on a Xperia 10 II with 4.5.0.19 (customisations: my ofono is allowed to load the qmi plug-in which by default is disabled + the network on the SIM2 is set manually).

• function: InfoGPS installed among other default applications for GPS testing at first installation

• aesthetic: SIM renaming and signal strenght bar are missing in “Mobile Network(s)” config menu

• aesthetic: in Settings:Apps page, every icon should be added a subscript-i for info²

The GPS failure can influence the timezone as well and without a position, Finland as default?

Software:

Suggestions:

• Fixing the critical issues in same order listed above
  • Offer a try-and-buy-or-reset license

The try-and-buy-or-reset license would last e.g. 30gg [30days] and it might be free or cost €5. It let the user to try the Sailfish OS full license features and then decide to pay in full the license fee (€49 - €5) or having the phone reset to the free license or better locked than reset like a ransomware but legal.

Personally, I would buy it just to see if there is some way (upgrade, patch) that fixes or improve considerably the performance about the 2 first critical issues. I hope that 2 issues (GPS cannot lock satellites, routing manual network) are regression, is it right? Uhm, not really recent at least…

Notes:

• ¹ Known Issues | Sailfish OS Documentation
  • ² despite the topmenu header Apps, System, Accounts is easy to confuse the new users with the apps list from which the applications can be started instead of quieried.

Now I am trying to apply this suggestion hoping that it will fix the GPS problem at reduced privacy counter-balance:

Obviously, downloading data that help to get a faster localisation on the urban/city areas would not solve the problem of not having access to the real GPS.

3 Likes

So you are still running it installed starting from Android 12? Then several of the issues are bound to be your fault. Until you do it properly, please keep your complaints to yourself.

The license adds features; it does not change how things you already have will work.

1 Like

Hi, wait a minute before blaming me… (nothing personal, here :slightly_smiling_face:)

I have received the smartphone with Android 12 and I do not see how this might influence the Sailfish OS installation but probably because I am not acknoledged about this kind of hardware/system.

Moreover, in the installation instructions there is the suggestion of to upgrade 11 from 10 but nothing about downgrading 12 to 11. There is also no any warning about, like

• DO NOT INSTALL SAILFISH UNLESS bla bla.

Is there a restore procedure that bring the smartphone to Andorid 12 so I can sell it back or to Android 11 in such a way I can start the installation of Sailfish OS again?

By the way: I am not the only one that had problem with GPS… :wink: and Jolla is not going to sell a lot of licenses with the “it is your fault” attitude! :wink: :wink:

P.S.: 30gg [30days] license would also allow to activate the “developer options”

2 Likes

I must admit i don’t understand what you mean with “no SIMs” followed by “SIM in routing” now that i read it again. Initially i had that down as “modem doesn’t work”… but i guess you put a precondition as the first part of a compeltely different issue?

I’d still say Android 11 in bold is very clear instructions. Some config/initialization/blobs persist from Android; other you add at installation time. I can’t see why you’s want to go to Android 12 to go to Android 11, just flash it directly.

You are probably perfectly capable of googling, but none the less:

What even is “gg”?

And surely you can enable developer mode without a license.

1 Like

Sorry “gg” is in italian, I added the correction also in previous posts:

30gg = 30days license It is about this:

About this:

I have tested the phone with 2 SIMs (dual SIM) and also without any SIM. Currently without any SIMs because the foreign routing with manual network selection does not work, as well.

About this:

As you can see, there is no any warning about Android 12 OEM pre-installation might influence the Sailfish OS behaviour. IMHO, I intended the prerequisite of having Android 11 (or 10 at least) for the installation procedure not about the following functioning. I think that this part should be updated:

I want to downgrade to Android 11 in such a way I can re-install the Sailfish OS from a well-known working starting-point. However, if this attempt will also fail, I am going to reinstall Android 12 to give away a piece of hardware that contains configurations which are incompatible with Sailfish OS nowadays.

Finally, the GPS and foreign countries routing manual network selection problems were in place also the first time I installed Sailfish OS following the standard procedure. Then, after, I decided to give a try using different AOSP from the default one just to see if that AOSP can fix the problem. Worse than before, I go back reflashing the standard AOSP. After all, in the forum I read that trying a different AOSP was safe even if it would not work.

1 Like

I would use Emma to go to A11 and then retest all the features in Andy as recommended. Only after that I would reflash SFOS.

There is already a free license and it’s even not time limited.

3 Likes

Unfortunately only the Microsoft Windows procedure is listed. The Linux one could be easily added:

$ sudo apt-get install mono-complete
$ sudo cert-sync /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
$ sudo certmgr -ssl -m https://software.sonymobile.com

Despite the error message, enter Y when asked, you should be asked to do so twice

from here

download this zip and extract the binaries for x32 and x64 platform

$ url=https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/xperifirm-5-6-5-by-igor-eisberg-zip.5488139/
$ wget $url -O xperifirm-5-6-5-by-igor-eisberg-zip
$ unzip xperifirm-5-6-5-by-igor-eisberg-zip
$ mono XperiFirm-x64.exe

I did not goo for it because it asked me to download 2.66Gb of Android 12 firmware. In fact, it is the same build release that I have before the installation of Sailfish OS.

Device: Xperia 10 II (XQ-AU52)
CID: 1321-6453
Market: Europe
Operator: Customized EU
Version: 59.2.A.0.463-R14C
Size: 2.66 GB

Emma probably will let me downgrade to Android 11 but it does not work with mono. The version opensource archive of the baseband build required by Sailfish is downloadable from here:

I think that flash.sh should be check for the correct baseband (build) before proceed.

Unless Emma would let me choose a downgrade, I think that there is no a simple way. This means that soon Jolla will need to add the support for Andorid 12 based Xperia X10 II devices which is the default Android version since one year ago:

In particular the European customised version:

1 Like

Yes.

…so no need to hypothesize.

I hate Windows as much as the next person, but there is only so much Jolla should need to compensate for.

1 Like

I do not hate Windows, simply I have not a Windows machine here available. A part Windows Vista, but everybody dislike Vista and I am in that bandwagon as well (even if Vista paid for one of my project).

Post Scriptum: after a careful thinking, I realised that I do not hate Windows Vista anymore because all the trouble it caused to the people I knew. In fact - by my personal log - I converted more people to GNU/Linux under 3 years of Vista than in every other Windows major release. Alfter all, it was gift. :smile:

1 Like

Yes, it seems to me that Emma on Windows is my last resort.

Which is wonderful and I am using it. Moreover, I saw that I can activate the Developer Tools which probably they will let me do a lot of dirty tricks.

However, Developer Tools are for those want make some hacking while and end-user might want to test all the features - for some limited time e.g. 1 month, possibly reweable - before buy the full license. This is named the second selling channel and when it became very successful get the first position in sales: testing for €5/mo and after few months they decided to reset their phone or buy a full license with a small discount e.g. €5. This is the way in which SaaS has been invented but in this case the full lincese will remain the ultimate choice.

Post Script: Developer Tools are enabled now when I login in my Jolla account.

1 Like

I have tried to erase all the partition before reflashing Sailfish OS plus I flashed also the secondary OEM partition:

fastboot -s QxxxxA erase dtbo_a
fastboot -s QxxxxA erase dtbo_b
fastboot -s QxxxxA erase oem_a
fastboot -s QxxxxA erase oem_b
fastboot -s QxxxxA erase userdata
bash flash.sh
fastboot -s QxxxxA flash oem_b ./SW_xxxx_10.0.7.1_r1_v12b_seine.img

I did not erase the boot partitions because they are installed in raw mode. Unfortunately the GPS problem persists and at this point I suspect that it should configured in some way. A user findout that reverting back to Android 11 can be considered a work-around:

I have tried also this, but it does not work without downgrading to Android 11:

1 Like

Actually, there is a problem with App Support – it doesn’t start most of the time.
It starts fine if I do it manually from Settings.
It never (roughly) starts automatically on boot in spite of being set to do so.
It starts around 50% of the time when trying to start an Android app. Starting the Android app then immediately going into Settings → App Support may help.

This is new to 4.5 ie wasn’t in 4.4.x.x.

1 Like

Tried by now: I passed from 4G to 3G and still have connectivity and mobile data on SIM2, the same for 2G which I am using to send this reply. I have the sensation that is about network operator OR because my SIM1 is set to 2G (I go to test). Nope, SIM1 4G and SIM2 in 2G connected with mobile data and here I am writing.

Customisations: my ofono is allowed to load the qmi plug-in which by default is disabled + the network on the SIM2 is set manually

Not a fix, but something that will make your life a little easier is a patch by @carmenfdezb which will let you add an Android Support toggle button to the Top Menu:
https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/android-support-button

(requires Patchmanager)

7 Likes

Already have it. Does uninstalling and reinstalling App Support wipe Android apps/data?

1 Like

It does not support the last version 4.5.0.19 in which there is a similar icon for the topmenu but it brings to the Andorid Support page. This button is supposed to enable/disable the Android Support, instead. Is it right? Will the author update it for the last version, also?

1 Like