[release notes] Pallas-Yllästunturi 3.4.0

Compass?, this is a 3rd party app, yes?, the one found in Jolla Store by Ipotter?

2 Likes

Logging in via ssh it tries to grep something (probably from motd), but I can’t find where it is.

Last login: Wed Oct 14 11:15:33 2020 from 192.168.1.1
/usr/bin/grep: unrecognized option '--quiet'
BusyBox v1.31.0 (2020-08-05 16:57:26 UTC) multi-call binary.

PS I don’t get it, why on the phone with 64gb we replace original gnu full apps with cut-down busybox. We’re not on a 32mb-memory router for christ sake! SFOS was supposed to be a full desktop-like Linux on the phone. Now we have busybox like on a openwrt router.

PPS I think it’s a bug. Running grep always fails with an error about unrecognized --quiet option.

4 Likes

OrienteeringCompass (https://openrepos.net/content/ade/orienteeringcompass-scaling-added), GPSInfo (https://openrepos.net/content/direc85/gpsinfo) etc…

1 Like

I am the same opinion. How about a setting where you can choose between the old pick up design and the new one. Or even better a customizable way to pick up the phone, so everybody would be happy, the business customers and the community :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But why are you reporting it here?, you should contact the author directly on Openrepos, I would imagine that apps need updating to fall inline with new changes in SailfishOS.

2 Likes

I have opened an item with that request: https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/answering-call-top-bottom-original-behavior-should-be-an-option-under-settings/

3 Likes

I give up, you can’t tell some people.

5 Likes

N9ish Icons has helped me a lot. I’m using UI Themer by Fravaccaro to apply it over the standard UI.
Unfortunately Fravaccaro has withdrawn all his work. Don’t know what has happened on his side.

After the update VPN doesn’t save username and password anymore, and the icon has diasppeared from the top right corner. I have to input username and password every time I connect to the internet. Also OneDrive password is not saved, therefore photos are not automatically uploaded to the cloud.

Anyone else having these problems on XA2 after the update? Is there anything I can do? Everything else seems to work so far…

I had problem with VPN and login, i had to type my credentials (user/password) all the time. But i tried “Network reboot Settings - Utilities - Network reboot” after that my VPN seems to work as usual but i have to do it again after reboot.

4 Likes

I can’t find “Network reboot Settings” from my XA2 settings. :woozy_face:

1 Like

Install ‘Sailfish utilities’ from Jolla store.

3 Likes

Thanks! After the “Network reboot” the VPN icon appeared and after returning from “Flight mode” VPN connection is still up. This means that problem solved! Thank you guys so much!

/etc/profile.d/lang.sh seems to be the culprit:

$ grep grep /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
if [ -n "${LANG}" ] && [ "${TERM}" = 'linux' ] && /usr/bin/tty | /usr/bin/grep --quiet -e '/dev/tty'; then
    if /usr/bin/grep --quiet -E -i -e '^.+\.utf-?8$' <<< "${LANG}"; then

1 Like

There is an internal bug about this issue but I do not have high hopes of getting this fixed soon unless some of the community guys do it. As far as I know, @rinigus has done something.

2 Likes

Thank you to all devs for this beautifull 3.4 !! But now i’m waiting the 3.5 version :slight_smile:

• the “android” applications do not systematically close when you close them and they often remain in the background. It’s also true for the Jolla Store app.

• the kernel stack bug is not solved and its size increases over the days except by rebooting the smartphone :frowning:
    https://together.jolla.com/question/227579/bug-33-xa2-kernel-memory-leak/

• Each time you reboot, you have to go to “Utilities” to reindex the database so that Gallery can find the images on the µSD card (which is encrypted).

I’am on a XA2- H3113 - monosim.

3 Likes

@jovirkku and @elvarr: compass using Android rotation vectors has been merged about a month ago and later fixed by @mal for older devices. There is one more MR submitted to qtsensors which would allow to get compass working on devices without rotation vectors.

The patches were developed for Xperia Tama (XZ2, XZ2c, XZ3) and have been used for a while by those devices. I would expect that it will work on Xperia 10 as well. As far as I remember, @mal tested them on it. While mobile compass is not perfect, it does have its use. For example, Pure Maps allows to you to rotate the map according to the compass making it easier to orient. Just don’t expect perfect orientation, it is few degrees +/- even after taking into account magnetic declination.

I would think next release could get it enabled on the official devices. I expect that these devices support Android rotation vector (not sure about J1). In the end, it is just adding

orientationadaptor = hybrisgeorotationadaptor

in the plugins of sensorfw, as in https://github.com/sailfishos-sony-tama/droid-config-sony-tama-pie/blob/master/sparse/etc/sensorfw/primaryuse.conf#L7.

Edit: see @mal reply below - there is an issue with blobs with rotation vectors on Xperia 10, unfortunately. So, the other solution has to be applied.

8 Likes

The rotation vector adaptors won’t help on Xperia 10 because the problem appears to be in vendor blobs and many sensors seem to broken, those send a couple of initial values but then reporting just becomes constant. To fix compass on Xperia 10 a virtual compass sensor has to be added to either qtsensors or sensorfw.

6 Likes

@mal: thanks, forgot about it. Added a corresponding note to my post to avoid confusion in future.

2 Likes