[release notes] Kvarken 4.1.0

I have seen this too on an Xperia X. In my case what I found was that when I had one SIM that uses Three’s network and another one that uses EE’s, the SIM using Three had to be selected for mobile internet for it to work at all, otherwise I saw exactly what you describe. When both SIMs used EE, or one used EE and the other O2, there was no problem.

Three publish this support article that claims it is connected with the fact that they don’t use 2G. I have no idea whether it is true or not that the X or XA2 cannot support 3G or 4G simultaneously on both SIMs, but in the end I had to transfer the number to a different provider to get the full flexibility of the dual SIM phone. Maybe more recent models are better, but I’m not about to buy one to find out :wink:

1 Like

Are XMPP accounts fixed in this release?
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/koli-4-0-1-45-problems-with-xmpp-accounts-management/4580

I do remember this having happened before, but that was in the early SFOS 3 release or something… This bug in 4.1.0 EA is something else indeed; my phone does it at least once a day, and the only way out is a reboot. Stopping and starting Android app support doesn’t help, neither does visiting flight mode.

1 Like

I think in my case, AFAIR, turning Sim2(empty) back on resolves the issue.So, I keep both 1&2 On all the time, and I then have no problem whatsoever . Especially after a reboot, works fine.
But why do you think, Android Support might be related ?

I only have a single SIM device - XA2 Ultra - but it could still be related to dual SIM support and Android app support… (Then again, my single SIM XA2 device running Android does provide the options for the dual SIM variant. So…)

I now would say there is definitely something wrong with power consumption!

I charged my device (an X) and kept it in flight mode over a day and night and it consumed 3% only. So far so good
Then in the morning I disabled flight mode, so network and WLAN were connected. I did not use it and in the late afternoon it was already down to 50%. I then disabled WLAN for some hours and consumption was about 1% only.
After that I enabled flight mode again but enabled WLAN. And power consumption is 3-4% per hour with null usage.

So WLAN connected with no usage at all drains the battery! :frowning:

3 Likes

@peterleinchen With no apps running?

Yes. No apps at all.

AND confirmed overnight:
fresh boot, no apps open (except Jolla weather on home screen maybe), flight mode, only WLAN enabled and connected, lost 17% in less than 7h…

@jovirkku
Do we need to file an explicit bug report?

1 Like

While I was not as precise as you were in measuring, so far I can share the same impression of an increased power consumption: a 100% charge generally lasts two days, but after updating yesterday it lasted just one, with wlan on (xa2). I should keep a more inquisitive eye on it and report back…

1 Like

I had similar issue. On WIFI connection Android apps are not connected (like Aptoide), but after I turned WIFI off and turn on cellular data, Android apps have connection without problem… strange… isn’t it?

Thanks, interestingly enough the SIM1 is on SMARTY - an MVNO over Three’s network - so maybe there’s something going on there related to the carrier. I did also change my SIM2 so I will have to put the old SIM2 in and try the same test to see if this is a 4.1.x problem or simply carrier related.

I can confirm also an X without a SIM card and with 4.1.0.23EA drains the battery for no reason. I was looking at the htop but could not identify any specific process. + no application running at all - just idle phone. I did not even touch the screen or something. In less than 24h it was dead

2 Likes

I once had a problems with mail.

ps axuw|grep messageserver5|grep -v grep|grep -v invo
nemo      1526  0.0  0.4  83380 13124 ?        Ssl  May19   0:05 /usr/bin/messageserver5
##
uptime
 18:28:48 up 1 day,  2:36,  1 user,  load average: 5.19, 5.66, 5.83

Here I have 5 s in one day. But I had once 30% duty cycle, so, after 1 h uptime I had 20 nim (and more).
Then, the phone was sluggish, battery drain…

Now it’s the same here. What does the trick?
As described in some other threads i did:

• stopped aliendalvik
  • uninstall android-support via jolla-store
  • reboot
  • as devel-su: rm -rf /home/.android*
  • reboot
  • install android-support via jolla-store
  • reinstall all android apps

YOU WILL LOST ALL ANDROID-DATA AND APPS with this procedure. But it was the only way for me wich worked. Now it runs like a charme :wink:

1 Like

There’s an app called ‘MLS manager’ on openrepos that will install positioning data for areas not covered by the official packages.

3 Likes

Somehow I experience in the Browser on X10II on mobile data very often, that already visited Sites works (at least the default search engine) but all the rest doesn’t. Back to WiFi it seems to be back. But also it does not occur more often. Does someone experience the same?
I experienced that now more than once, but did not find a way to reproduce reliable…

On Xperia X and Xperia 10 (probably XA2, also) only “Data”-selected sim will have 3g/4g, then the other sim will have 2G only. If there’s no 2G network for that sim, it won’t work at all.

We’ll see if it’s a SFOS limit on Xperia 10 II, since I checked on Android and it clearly supports 3g+4g sims working simultaneously.

Definitely, a precise bug report is a correct way. Power drain issues are hard to investigate because there are so many factors affecting them. It would be helpful if one can limit/eliminate some of those factors and compare with different devices or previous OS release on the same device. It is good to tell which Internet connections are used, how often various accounts are synced (and what are they), if ‘top’ shows some suspiciously active processes running for minutes, etc.

1 Like

@Remote: You wrote “only “Data”-selected sim”. Do you mean that you have chosen this SIM for mobile data in Sailfish menu “Settings > Mobile network > Use SIM card” (while the other SIM is assigned for call and messages in “Settings > SIM cards”), or, do you mean that you have such a contract with your operator/carrier that your SIM does not support phone calls at all - so, it is just “data only”?

@peterleinchen @jovirkku
I can confirm this change in behaviour on the Xperia X. I wasn’t sure at first, but I checked the battery usage graphs in SysMon, and the battery is visibly going down much faster with WiFi enabled on 4.1.0 than it was on 4.0.1. In both cases, no applications or only the camera are/were running, and the only user-intended active online connection is two email accounts with their synchronisation set to ‘always up-to-date’. Android app support is active, but there are no Android applications running in the background. Hopefully we can find some more similarities and differences between our setups this way to estimate where the problem is actually located.

With WiFi disabled, power consumption appears to be the same as before.

Out of the devices I checked (Jolla C, Jolla Tablet and Xperia X), only the Xperia X has a much larger power consumption on WiFi in comparison to 4.0.1. The Xperia 10 II also seems to have a large power consumption on WiFi, but of course I can’t compare that one with a previous OS version.

3 Likes