Qt5-plugin-geoservices-osm does not permit setting host/customhost

REPRODUCIBILITY: 100%
OS VERSION: 4.4
HARDWARE: xperia 10ii, volla/gs290
UI LANGUAGE: en
REGRESSION: yes

DESCRIPTION:

As reported (see below) qt5-qtlocation changes from 5.2.1 on the version 3.4.0.24 to 5.4.2 on the version 4.1.0.24

At this point we can no longer load custom host plugin parameters, for instance: osm.mapping.custom.host

PRECONDITIONS:

Have upgraded to SFOS > 4.1

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

Try to create a QML Map element:

Map {
            id: map
            anchors.fill: parent
            zoomLevel: (maximumZoomLevel - minimumZoomLevel)/2 + 4.5
            plugin : Plugin {
                name: "osm"
                PluginParameter { name: "osm.useragent"; value: "Draftmap" }
                PluginParameter { name: "osm.mapping.host"; value: "https://tile.openstreetmap.org" }
                PluginParameter { name: "osm.mapping.custom.host"; value: "https://tile.openstreetmap.org" }
                PluginParameter {
                    name: "osm.mapping.copyright";
                    value: "© <a href=\"http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright\">OpenStreetMap</a> contributors"
                }
            }

Regardless of what you set host values to you get:

[W] unknown:0 - QGeoTileRequestManager: Failed to fetch tile (1169,566,11) 5 times, giving up. Last error message was: ‘Host otile1.mqcdn.com not found’

EXPECTED RESULT:

map tiles.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Error messages

[W] unknown:0 - QGeoTileRequestManager: Failed to fetch tile (1169,566,11) 5 times, giving up. Last error message was: ‘Host otile1.mqcdn.com not found’

MODIFICATIONS:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Additional previous discussion:

Ah, Well looking at the code in the sfos repos, it’s no wonder. That’s from before the changes in 2016 that ‘fixed’ the hardcoded foo. And the broken qt redirector! Ach, weh.

Thanks for digging in to this @poetaster. Could you elaborate on your followup comment a little please though? Are you saying that there is an issue, but that the reason is obvious, or are you saying that this isn’t actually an issue after all?

Sorry, I was being elliptical. What I’m suggesting is that there may be a gpl issue that happens to coincide with a bug fix. jolla didn’t pick up a fix because they stopped at ‘$version’.

In any case, I pulled apart the spec in SFOSs Location .spec and started on getting ‘only’ that plugin (at 5.10) built on obs. I’ll try to get that done and see if the issue is dealt with.

In the current state, it is a bug in SFOS version of Location.

Thanks for the explanation Mark. I’ve created an internal issue for this and have tagged it as “tracked”. If I can find out anything further (e.g. in case this was licence-related) I’ll post it back here.

It would be good to know the results from your OBS build once you have it.

Thanks! I’m struggling on a couple of other fronts but it’s in the queue!

1 Like

Although this leaves a bad taste in my mouth, this minimal change is probably enough to resurrect the plugin from complete uselessness:

1 Like

This is not ‘quite’ building on obs, but almost :slight_smile: GitHub - poetaster/qtlocation at backport5.5

All lgplv2.1 backports that would permit setting the uri of tile servers dynamically.

[Release notes] Struven ketju 4.5.0.21 finally fixes this! I mean, it doesn’t permit setting host, but it uses the OSM tile server correctly so that declarative maps work again. Yeah!

2 Likes

I’m a bit thick at the moment. What is Ginkgo?

Ah, this: Flypig's gecko dev diary

EDIT: errr, this? Sailfish OS on Ginkgo (Redmi Note 8)