Push-notifications from the native browser possible?

Hi, on the previous Android phone I used some apps like Spieler Plus, which send me push-notifications of new dates or chats.

As I read, push-notifications of natives Android-Apps, installed over Aurora, don’t work so far.

So I opened my “SpielerPlus”-account in a tab of the browser and keep the browser App active.

But I don’t get a push-notification of the native browser?

Exists an easy way to enable such notifications in Sailfish Browser or is it a desired feature request?

These notifications of an opened browser-app would solve some problems for me, I have several accounts, which could be used either in a browser or an Android-App.

Well, Firefox supports push notifications, and both Firefox and the Sailfish browser both use the Gecko engine as I understand it.

However the Sailfish browser is based on a much older version of the engine than the latest version of Firefox - so it maybe that push notifications only become possible on Sailfish at some point in the future when the browser engine has been updated still further.

Either way, this functionality should not be beyond the realms of possibility for Sailfish.

2 Likes

Correct me wrong, but push notifications with Android apps (installed from Aurora Store or anywhere else) do work, when microG is installed. Just the ping interval should be set from auto to eg. 5 minutes, or the app might lose connection to the push server, and the notification will not come through.

I’m not sure, where I read it. I would try it out with microG.
How can I install microG now or do I have to flash it again?

1 Like

Hi Blumenkraft, thanks, I was successful so far doing:

Open the “Vanced microG” app > Advanced > Additional settings > Cloud Messaging > 3-point menu > Advanced > Wi-Fi, Mobile network → Ping interval set to 5 min.

I read there: “Cloud messaging … you must enable device registration”, which I did.

Now I can see in “Cloud Messaging”:

• Apps using push notifications: None

I’m not able to add the App “Signal” to the apps, and I don’t get push-notifications from “Signal” so far.
Another user in the Forum suggested to “setup a Google account in microG”. Is it really neccessary to do that or is an other step missing for “Signal”?

To have application registered in microG cloud messaging, you have to reinstall it, or just clear user data in Sailfish’s Settings → Apps → Signal, which is the same as reinstalling.

Hi, for testing I deleted “SpielerPlus”-App, enabled the things mentioned above and reinstalled the app. Nevertheless “Cloud Messaging” shows : On - 0 registered Apps (?)
(It is connected since 14 Minutes.)

Strange. Does microG Self-Check show everything checked (except the permissions)?

Hi,
I attach two screenshots. After that I granted “Zugriff auf Speicher” for next Testing.

I don’t think you have the proper version of microG installed. I would advice you to uninstall that “Vanced microG” and use these instructions:
https://together.jolla.com/question/209300/how-to-microg-in-sfos-31/
Just skip “Pre-requisits” and start from “Enable signature spoofing” following F-Droid, adding repository etc. Also no need for what comes after “Advanced tips”. It looks like a lot, but it’s actually pretty simple and straight forward. After this you have the suggested microG.

Also don’t install whatever APK’s from random download sites. I am sorry to inform you, but that is really begging for trouble.

1 Like

Specifically for Signal:

• I cannot vouch for it as: I am using WhisperFish instead, and given the strong privacy stance of Signal I wouldn’t be suprised that they avoid using Google servers.
  • I would strongly advise using Whisperfish as you main Signal application for chat (as it is native on Sailfish) and register the Android App (and/or the Desktop webapp) as a “secondary” for the missing features (e.g.: for voice calls)
  • For the signal app, check if it also allowed to auto-start from the Sailfish settings → Apps.

In general:

• Yes, a lot of other apps will rely on a google account (according to the documentation s I’ve read backthen).

Warning there is one thing that has changed in recent versions of Alien-Dalvik:

• back then, the enabling of spoofing used to be done in the “permissions” section of the Android settings.
  • when I installed SFOX 4.4.0.64 on my 10iii I needed instead to start the microG “self-checks” and then click on the unchecked persmission checks, and I get a pop-up asking to grant “signature spoofing” permission.

Thank you for expanding with the details. Indeed it was so also like that with my 10 III.

Hi Blumenkraft, I simply followed the hint above from seven.of.nine. I’ll try your advice in the next days.
As a newcomer to SailfishOS it isn’t easy to find the best “How-to’s” or instructions.

A correct installation of microG seems to be important for other newcomers, too. Perhaps it could be mentioned here Beginner or at another prominent place, where newcommers can find it more easily :-).

1 Like

Saddly the old forum isn’t editable anymore. :-/

That’s a good idea.

Hi Dr Yak,

I cannot vouch for it as: I am using WhisperFish instead, and given the strong privacy stance of Signal I wouldn’t be suprised that they avoid using Google servers.

Thanks for your hints. I read that with Whisperfish there is no possibility to use a backup from Signal.
For the moment I stay with Signal until I have solved other things with sailfish, perhaps I try it later.

Saddly the old forum isn’t editable anymore. :-/

Concerning Linux, I like the wiki ubuntuusers.de, where users can post e.g a “HowTo” like Realtek-r8125

Would it be possible to enable on forum.sailfishos.org a similar page, where users can post their “HowTo” and are able to edit it later?

That would be very helpful, in my point it could begin like:

SailfishOS 4.4.0.64

• HowTo: Installation of microG (last tested: dd.mm.2022, user: XY, version: abc)
  • HowTo: Enable push-notifications for Android-Support Apps
  • HowTo: Import adressbook from Android/iOS

EDIT to my screenshots to “Vanced microG” above: With this current installation (now: memory access enabled) I receive push-notifications from Signal recently.

If Signal is not registered in microG, then it is not using Google’s push notifications. Applications like Signal, Whatsapp, Telegram etc also have their own notifications, which at least in my case are not always delivered, until i open the corresponding app. Maybe it’s because of flakey 4G/WiFi or so, but enabling push notifications in microG makes sure messages are delivered in time.