Pure Maps (Native map app)

@Cryx What phone are you using? The XA2’s have an issue getting a quick GPS fix. They will show an approximate fix quite quickly using MLS but take 15 minutes sometimes longer to get an accurate fix from the GPS satellites.

The round a bout is most likely the location of the nearest cell phone tower in the MLS database.

@ebohoyod Once you have obtained a GPS lockon (in other words a precise location rather than the approximate location provided by MLS) there is no need to have the SIM ON to maintain a precise location. The GPS satellites will do the job.

If you don’t have the maps downloaded then you cannot use Pure Maps in the off-line mode and will need to have the SIM On.

Yes, it’s XA2. But it’s the first time I recognised this, did first happen with Kvarken…

It’s been a problem for most XA2 owners well before Kvarken

1 Like

Its probably the graphic that confused me. On many map platform the “you are here marker” (gmaps openstreet) is pointy but doesn’t indicate direction. When i saw it move around it puzzled me.

Anyway. Lets move on. :slightly_smiling_face:

Is anyone having issues with the compass lately on Pure Maps? It works on the individual tests yet it doesn’t seem to work with the app.

Compass is taken into account only when you asked for it in Settings, if GPS has a fix (is accurate) and your speed is below 10 km/h. In addition, you have to be either exploring map or, if navigating, either on bike or foot.

1 Like

Aaaargg. I checked the settings and it wasn’t activated. I had it checked in the past and suddenly it wasn’t working. Hence the question. No idea what reset that.

Apologies.

1 Like

Checked right now what compass does in Pure Maps. It works. Depending on settings either pointer or map rotates when rotating the phone (while standing).

There is no way to open an address from the Peoples app on Pure Maps right?? Asking in case i missed a setting or something.

3 Likes

Right. The only way I see is to open Contact app, long tap on adress, copy to clipboard, and on Pure Maps insert from clipboard as destination.

1 Like

Like on N900? :wink:

Do I smell another feature request for a long gone and (not badly but definitely) missed old feature? :smiley:

4 Likes

I think its been asked in the past. No idea whats the blocker. :man_shrugging:

Hmm, probably.

But with a quick search I could not find any topic/thread neither here nor on TJC.

Only this one here
https://together.jolla.com/question/52935/feature-request-start-default-navigation-app-when-clicking-location-in-calendar-app/
which is concerning the calendar, but in principle the same.

And those feature requests on TJC are -my guess- completely forgotten and just rotting there…

1 Like

Here is the topic and to prove that my brain is not the best thing ever I am the one asking for something like the above. :clown_face:

2 Likes

Pure Maps has DBus API, but it is, for obvious reasons, not using Jolla’s access point. So, it is up to contacts application to use it. Unless there is some API I can hook it to.

3 Likes

As user, I would try to “share” the contact to Pure Maps, i.e. if PM is s share target for contacts, one could send over contacts to PM via the share option in People app (and others, presumably).

1 Like

Share API is something I will have to look into. Ideally, something that would work on all supported platforms (SFOS, UT, mobile/desktop Linux) or will have to look into each platform separately. Issue is filed and will be looked at in time.

4 Likes

While its a clever workaround i’d prefer a rinigus x jolla collab to solve it properly. :grinning:

1 Like

What have I to do to have Open Street Maps and/or Open Topo Maps available in offline mode on Pure Maps? (or at least online if offline is not possible)

In the moment in the 'maps’settings is available:
HSL, MapTiler (default, green) (this is now selected and working), OSM Scout, OpenSlopeMap, OpenTopoMap, HERE (deactivated, green), Mapbox (deactivated, green)

Only MapTiler works, but map image is rather poor. I really would like to have the beautiful OSM/OTM image! Is this possible?

MapTiler works offline and online, the others work neither online nor offline.