Pure Maps (Native map app)

There is no way to open an address from the Peoples app on Pure Maps right?? Asking in case i missed a setting or something.

3 Likes

Right. The only way I see is to open Contact app, long tap on adress, copy to clipboard, and on Pure Maps insert from clipboard as destination.

1 Like

Like on N900? :wink:

Do I smell another feature request for a long gone and (not badly but definitely) missed old feature? :smiley:

4 Likes

I think its been asked in the past. No idea whats the blocker. :man_shrugging:

Hmm, probably.

But with a quick search I could not find any topic/thread neither here nor on TJC.

Only this one here
https://together.jolla.com/question/52935/feature-request-start-default-navigation-app-when-clicking-location-in-calendar-app/
which is concerning the calendar, but in principle the same.

And those feature requests on TJC are -my guess- completely forgotten and just rotting thereā€¦

1 Like

Here is the topic and to prove that my brain is not the best thing ever I am the one asking for something like the above. :clown_face:

2 Likes

Pure Maps has DBus API, but it is, for obvious reasons, not using Jollaā€™s access point. So, it is up to contacts application to use it. Unless there is some API I can hook it to.

3 Likes

As user, I would try to ā€œshareā€ the contact to Pure Maps, i.e. if PM is s share target for contacts, one could send over contacts to PM via the share option in People app (and others, presumably).

1 Like

Share API is something I will have to look into. Ideally, something that would work on all supported platforms (SFOS, UT, mobile/desktop Linux) or will have to look into each platform separately. Issue is filed and will be looked at in time.

4 Likes

While its a clever workaround iā€™d prefer a rinigus x jolla collab to solve it properly. :grinning:

1 Like

What have I to do to have Open Street Maps and/or Open Topo Maps available in offline mode on Pure Maps? (or at least online if offline is not possible)

In the moment in the 'mapsā€™settings is available:
HSL, MapTiler (default, green) (this is now selected and working), OSM Scout, OpenSlopeMap, OpenTopoMap, HERE (deactivated, green), Mapbox (deactivated, green)

Only MapTiler works, but map image is rather poor. I really would like to have the beautiful OSM/OTM image! Is this possible?

MapTiler works offline and online, the others work neither online nor offline.

Offline: You can instsll OSM Scout Server. With it, youā€™ll be able to download maps regions by regions.
Online: Same question for me the other day. I didnā€™t understand how to make it work.

Strange fact: For me (XA2 4.3.0.15), MapTiler never worked. Just a white screen. IIRC @rinigus, said it was a question of expiredā€¦contract?licence with themā€¦not sure, this needs a search.

You are supposed to register at map service provider and fill in your API key(s) in Settings. That way you can enable HERE, Mapbox.

MapTiler has a monthly quota and, as we have decent amount of users on SFOS and other platforms, it tends to expire towards the end of the month, frequently around 15-20th day into the month. Mayn advantage with Maptiler is that they stop providing tiles instead of billing me.

For offline, you are expected to use OSM Scout Server. That way you get tiles, search, and routing. Other online services can sometimes serve data from cache, but that is limited to ā€¦ cache. No search, no routing in offline for online services.

2 Likes

OSM Scout Server is installed and running and maps are stored.
Open Topo Maps is also working now in online mode, i donā€™t know why but it works. OSM Scout also works, this looks like objects (houses, etc.) are overlaying the Map Tiler maps.
HSL + OpenSlopeMaps show only white background.
HERE and MapBox are marked as disabled and canā€™t be selected.

edit : this tests were made on Xperia 10 / 4.3.0.15

See my reply above. For HERE and Mapbox you need to register as described in Preferences/API keys

3 Likes

Offline routing? We rise up to magic, wow!
Thank you for explaining.
Also, it is great having the chance to get all those maps and a so complete app+server. (maybe I just miss tracking but e.g. Maep does it good )
Even, Iā€™d say it saved me as I am an offline fan, an ā€œjust in caseā€ guy.
Does getting an API key mean being identified, bigdated and the usual blabla or not obligatorily?

I donā€™t know, read their conditions. I would expect that it is not ā€œbigdatedā€

2 Likes

@ric9k : Offline routing? We rise up to magic, wow!
Thank you for explaining.

GPS on + internet connection off. This shows my position on the map, i can set a target and a route is drawn on the map. No magic!

edit: quoting seems to not work as usually in the momentā€¦ Maybe some cross effect of ā€˜oldā€™ 4.3.0.15 (on THIS phone Iā€™m now writing) and some brand new updates from openrepos + chum?

Sure, I exaggerate a bit to express how cool this is. Thought routing was only possible online.
No magic ok, but this also means that e.g. one-way streets are locally recorded. I thought what was locally recorded were only graphics.

You have an electronic map stored on the phone and there is no need to fetch some information from the internet.
The only purpose of online navigation (with running internet connection) is higher accuracy in location determination using tower data, faster position fix by downloading satellites orbital data (Kepler data) via internet is much faster than from satellites, and fast daily updates of the maps.

2 Likes