Plea for official statement from Jolla

The last contributions from Aurora OS have been merged to release 4.3 in November 2021. We don’t have active project with Aurora OS anymore.

23 Likes

Tank you for clarifying that.

1 Like

May I know the current full list of Jolla Board Of Directors, please? As well as information about the current ownership. Thank you.

1 Like

The board is actually very easy to find out with a simple Internet search (ok, maybe provided one knows some Finnish.) Also, following some leads, something that seems very interesting & inspiring extra insight into the official statement is also discoverable (ok, provided one knows some German, and probably needs to know some other background info too, but I’ve picked it all up from openly readable online sources during the years, so I guess it could be possible for anyone to draw the same conclusions.) But I don’t want to spoil anything, in case someone else wants to go through the same path and joy of deduction and guesstimation themselves. And it’s very offtopic anyhow. Luckily, having received the pleaded official statement, this thread is very much complete. At least I, for one, want to thank Jolla for the response, keep happily using Sailfish, and go do something else.

5 Likes

To the moderators: it would have been better and more honest if you had flagged the childish remark of DrD against me directly, Then there would have been no need for me to reply. This is not a forum about political subjects, I understand that, but unfriendly and unjustified remarks should not be accepted either.

7 Likes

Why write so many words instead of just quoting the list or even just pasting a link to it? I did find some of that info, but only on some external websites, with no guarantee whether it is correct or up to date. I do not intend to learn Finnish or German only to be able to find as basic information about the company whose products I buy as names of its board members and execs, or ownership structure. Isn’t it actually supposed to be a public information, easily accessible for customers?

I did not say that I intend to stop using Sailfish. Nor did I say a single word about Putin, Russia, Ukraine, politics, etc. I posted a simple request to point me to an up-to-date information about Jolla board of directors and owners. And still waiting for it, thank you in advance.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Samuli Simojoki on LinkedIn (machine translated from Finnish):

Putin’s invasion of Ukraine forces each of us to evaluate our own actions in relation to Russia. One place of reflection for me is Jolla Oy, where I am an independent member and chairman of the board. Over the years, Jolla has developed a situation in which the company’s largest owner, but not the majority owner, is indirectly Rostelecom. Rostelecom is a Russian listed company in which the Russian State owns about 45%. It would be easy to say that you do not want to work for a company with such a significant indirect ownership by the Russian State. Jolla has for some time been looking for a shareholding structure that would provide a balanced ownership structure and significantly reduce Russian ownership. The International Investment Bank has been involved in promoting this arrangement. In the new situation, it is clear that the company has no future without a complete divestment of Russian ownership. The company is struggling to find an ownership structure that will allow this to happen. Jolla Oy has already actively run down its Russian business during 2021 and will not generate any revenue from Russia. The only tie is therefore ownership. The company has some really interesting business openings in both the automotive and operating system sectors. Several European countries have long indicated that they would enter into cooperation without delay once the ownership structure is rectified. The company has an ongoing and positive dialogue with Finnish government representatives on these issues. One of Jolla Oy’s important partners is Daimler, and Jolla’s Board of Directors includes a Daimler representative. We have had an ongoing dialogue with Daimler in recent days about the situation, and Daimler’s representation on the board will be maintained. The aim is therefore to save the company through the ownership structure described above. Jolla Oy is a fine Finnish company, which contributes to maintaining Finnish expertise in the operating system field and which could have a great future ahead of it. As a board member of Jolla Oy, I have Jolla’s interests at heart and not those of Jolla’s owners. Therefore, I will continue to serve on the board for the time being and try to do my part to help rescue the company from a difficult situation. I see this as the responsible way to act.

17 Likes

From bad to worse. How much percentage of former Daimler AG (now Mercedes Benz Group) is own by chinese companies, backed by Chinese state? 10 -16 Percent? Include Kuwait also, which is in big debt to China. When China will invade Taiwan we will have the same discussion. I wonder what will be Daimler contribution to the development of the Sailfish OS.

1 Like

Your post was flagged as inappropriate : the community feels it is offensive, abusive, or a violation of our community guidelines. View ignored content.”

A simple request for information about the current board of directors and ownership flagged as inappropriate, abusive and offensive, and hidden? Where am I? And what’s there to hide? Normally, you can find such information on a company’s official website, and here you can’t even ask for it? Amazing.

I insist that someone points me to that (up-do-date) information. Please.

3 Likes

the flaging in that thread is really childish

5 Likes

Thank you Samuli Simojoki! To me this is satisfying information sofar. It would be nice hearing from the company now and then. I think it is a good idea, being involved in the car industry, because EV’s should not be driven by Google alone. Hopefully this will bring revenues so the OS can be improved too.

4 Likes

@WT.Sane Here are the numbers: Shareholder Structure | Mercedes-Benz Group > Investors > Share > Shareholder Structure
BAIC group - 9,98%
Tenaciou3 Prospect Investment Ltd - 9,96%
Kuwait Investment Authority - 6,84%

This thread is a disaster. Starting a new one. Merge if necessary.

3 Likes

I’ll try to translate this to the best of my capabilities:

Putinin hyökkäys Ukrainaan pakottaa meistä jokaista arvioimaan omaa toimintaansa suhteessa Venäjään. Yksi harkinnan paikka itselleni on Jolla Oy, jossa toimin hallituksen riippumattomana jäsenenä ja puheenjohtajana. Jollalle on vuosien varrella kehittynyt tilanne, jossa yhtiön suurin omistaja, ei kuitenkaan enemmistöomistaja, on epäsuorasti Rostelecom. Rostelecom taas on venäläinen pörssiyhtiö, josta Venäjän valtio omistaa noin 45 %. Olisi helppoa todeta, että ei halua toimia yhtiössä, jossa on näin merkittävää Venäjän valtion epäsuoraa omistusta.

Putin’s attack in Ukraine forces all of us to evaluate our own actions towards Russia. One evaluation for myself has been Jolla, where I have been independent board member and the chairman of the board. Over the years Jolla developed itself into a situation where company’s largest owner, however not the majority owner, has been indirectly Rostelecom. Rostelecom is Russian publicly traded company, where Russian state owns about 45% of it. It would be easy to just say that you do not want to work with a company which has such a huge indirect Russian state ownership.

Jolla on jo pidempään etsinyt omistusjärjestelyä, jossa yhtiöön löytyisi tasapainoinen omistusrakenne ja venäläinen omistus laskisi merkittävästi pienemmäksi. Kansainvälinen investointipankki on ollut mukana edistämässä järjestelyä. Nyt uudessa tilanteessa on selvää, että yhtiöllä ei ole tulevaisuutta ilman, että venäläisestä omistuksesta irtaudutaan kokonaan. Yhtiö ponnistelee löytääkseen omistusjärjestelyn, jolla tämä voidaan toteuttaa.

For a significant period of time, Jolla has looked for a stable ownership structure where Russian ownership would be significantly lower. International investment bank has been a part of making this into reality. But in this new situation it’s clear that the company has no future with any Russian ownership. Company is seriously making an effort to find an ownership structure that would make this happen.

Jolla Oy on ajanut Venäjän liiketoiminnan aktiivisesti alas jo vuoden 2021 aikana ja sille ei kerry mitään liikevaihtoa Venäjältä. Ainoa sidos on siis omistus. Yhtiöllä on todella mielenkiintoisia liiketoiminta-avauksia niin automotive-sektorilla kuin käyttöjärjestelmäsektorilla. Useammasta Euroopan maasta on indikoitu jo pitkään, että ne ryhtyisivät yhteistyöhön viipymättä kun omistusrakenne saadaan oikaistua. Yhtiöllä on jatkuva ja positiivinen dialogi Suomen valtion edustajien kanssa näistä teemoista. Jolla Oy:n yksi tärkeä kumppani on Daimler, ja Jollan hallituksessa on myös Daimlerin edustaja. Meillä on ollut viime päivinä jatkuva vuoropuhelu Daimlerin kanssa tilanteesta, ja Daimlerin edustus hallituksessa säilyy.

Jolla has been actively shutting down it’s Russian business during 2021 (NOTE: wording indicates that it’s still ongoing) and company does not generate any revenue from Russia. Only relation to Russia is ownership. Company has really interesting business opportunities in automotive and operating system sectors. For a long period of time parties from many European countries have indicated that they would partner with Jolla after the ownership has been sorted out. Company has continuous and positive dialog with Finnish state representatives about these themes. One of the important partners of Jolla is Daimler and Daimler has a member in Jolla’s board of directors. Last couple of days we have had continuous dialog with Daimler about the situation and Daimler’s representatives continue to be part of Jolla’s board.

Tavoitteena on siis pelastaa firma edellä kuvatulla omistusjärjestelyllä. Jolla Oy on hieno suomalainen yhtiö, joka omalta osaltaan ylläpitää suomalaista osaamista käyttöjärjestelmäkentällä ja jolla voisi olla edessään hieno tulevaisuus. Jolla Oy:n hallituksen jäsenenä ajan Jollan intressiä enkä Jollan omistajien intressiä. Siksi aion toistaiseksi jatkaa yhtiön hallituksessa ja yrittää omalta osaltani auttaa yhtiön pelastamisessa hankalasta tilanteesta. Näen, että se on vastuullinen tapa toimia.

Goal is to safe the firm with ownership structure mentioned above. Jolla is a great Finnish company, which upholds Finnish knowledge in developing operating systems and Jolla could have a great future a head of it. As the chairman of Jolla’s board of directors, I will further Jolla’s interests - not it’s owners. For that reason I will still continue as a member of the board and try help Jolla to get out of this difficult situation. I see this as a responsible way to handle the situation.

As said. Not perfect, but I tried to capture the intention.

14 Likes

I disagree with the statement that Daimler as owner would be worse.

To the contrary, I would like to see Jolla become for OS what Here is for maps, with other co-owners like Here has.

Better than Android auto.

4 Likes

I was thinking of applying for a Job (I’ve been self-employed WAY too long) at Mbition, in Berlin. Mercedes is doing Yocto and QT stuff.

But, then, I thought to myself, ‘maybe you should go work for Jolla’ :wink:

Ah, I’m way to old :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I agree with you, but instead of Here I would prefer MagicEarth for Maps. It has zero trackers.

1 Like

Thank you for this translation!

1 Like

I would prefer Open Street Maps / Open Topo Maps.

1 Like