New Phone on horizon?

I tried Ubuntu Touch with mu Xperia X, and while it did work rather well actually, I was shocked by the lack of available apps. Sailfish X has WAY more stuff available!

Or, more likely, there is openrepos-like app store I didn’t stumble upon, that has a wider selection available.

7 Likes

am I the only one wanting just an XA3 that’s an XA2 with an SD700 series 5G chipset, 4GB and 64GB? Everything else about my XA2 is fantastic. When my license runs out next year, I’m gonna be needing a new device, and device support is one of the most damning things for SFOS.

3 Likes

Would be great if Jolla made announcement what the next supported device will be. This way everyone that still has Xperia X can decide if they want XA2, 10, or the next to come.

2 Likes

your license won’t really expire
Xperia X, for example, is still supported

2 Likes

The purchase was for a 3-year license. And beyond that, switching of devices is a certainty after a 3-5 year cycle. Far be it from me to say that an upgrade cycle means anything, Jolla didn’t drop support for the original Jolla Phone until this update, so 7 years of support is pretty impressive. Regardless, Jolla has to add the support for a new device in, so there’s no telling how long that will take, especially when moving up the chain of chipsets.

2 Likes

I don’t know where you saw that, but the original announce simply stated that SW update would be guaranteed for at least one year, and nowadays the purchase page says Software updates as long as device is supported.
So as long as the kernel and phone specs permit it at reasonable costs, we should continue to receive updates. :crossed_fingers:

Jolla has proven that switching is not a certainty after 3-5 years. The Xperia X was released almost 5 years ago, and the hardware is still better than a lot of current low/mid range phones.
It still feels so smooth that I don’t see any reason to switch and waste more resources honestly. Ok the only reason would be Android support, but 5G, 4GB and 64GB? What’s the need? Buy a SD card :slightly_smiling_face:

(But I agree that there need to be more supported device for newcomers, or for us in a few years :smiley: )

6 Likes

An SD card can’t extend the internal storage or add 5G :wink:
Limited Android support of the X was a showstopper for me. I’me pretty happy with the XA2 now, but I’m also looking forward to some more new devices with different specs. I hope there will still be a device not bigger than the regular XA2 available.

By the way, you’re right regarding the support. The licence is not limited, only the guarantee.

3 Likes

The Gigaset GS290 is similar to this one. The phone has better proportions than the latest Sony devices, they are trangely long. For some (men) it will be too big, but I like it. It is made in Germany and still available. The Gigaset is unlockable too, just like Sony’s devices.I don’t understand why Jolla does not coöperate with a European company.

Jolla should go for the Gigaset. It is a nice device with good proportions comfortable sides, a nice screen,etc. and not expensive.The Gigaset supports VoLTe, very important because telecom will block umts. Made in Germany, so it should not be to difficult to coöperate.

5 Likes

Everything in Gigaset is made in China. They just glue it together in Germany.

1 Like

I didn’t have a look in the factory, did you? All parts from all devices come from.different countries and China, but that doesn’t prevent Siemens from having the supervision over the Gigaset.

1 Like

yes, but do you know any other company that does more in europe then assembling ?
or more then ordering directly in china ?

3 Likes

Of course not. That is our “Europe last” way of the EU.

6 Likes

gigaset was sold by siemens around 2010… so they are not involved anymore. Arques Industries aquired them and renamed the whole comapny to Gigaset AG. also i wouldnt consider gigaset devices at all unless they really changed a lot, because they were notorious for bad quality during the siemens days and at least right after the aquisition. might have changed in recent years under the new leadership though. (and yes i had hands on experience with at least 4 devices over a long period of time - they all sucked)

2 Likes

They were late. Despite having been the first ones.
However, they were keen enough to see it coming, and get out of it before shait hitted their fans…
gotta grant them that.

Thanks, didn’t know about this change. I have read good reviews though about the GS290. /e/-foundation now sells them, together with a gew Samsungs and Fairphone.

partly agree. but still think main driver is: increase profits.

but we are off topic:)

2 Likes

To get back in topic, my 10 II is on the post now, time to replace the XA2 :slight_smile: found a good deal for a brand new device. Will keep it sealed in the box until the official support lands, otherwise it will have to go on eBay.

2 Likes

how much ?

240£ for a blue dual-sim one. It’s coming to UK from US