New Phone on horizon?

right , it is. Of course they need to get money to start

1 Like

looks nice ! price is ok too

1 Like

Leaks of new “compact” 5.5’’ Sony phone are coming. Tad smaller than Xperia X…

Measuring barely 140 x 68.9 x 8.9mm

5 Likes

Nothing is compact about a 140x69mm sized phone. :frowning_face:

The only company that makes a sanely sized phone (one hand) at the moment is Apple.

And i just noticed it has a notch.

3 Likes

still better than tv remote-sized X10

6 Likes

Better than doesn’t matter if its still cumbersome to use.

The thing is that noone seems to design around the human body (hand to be exact). And it rubs me wrong. Its like designing shoes that are 10cm bigger than you foot size. Or a screwdriver that the handle is too wide to wrap your hand around it. It will cause issues.

And of course tablets have a place. They are excellent productivity tools. But trying to make a phone do both you lose the benefits of each device. Like SUVs in a way. They are both crap on the road and off road.

1 Like

Good old Xperia X Compact Measuring barely 129 x 65 x 9.5 mm

4 Likes

In a strange turn of events, the remote for my new tv is actually smaller than my Jolla phone.

8 Likes

O tempora, o mores!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry for offtopic, but my instincts need to commend that:
how right you are. but for families they took all VANs from the market in europe and sell us big suvs with no space on the trunk and high costs. I’ll import a chrysler pacifica awd or something similar from the us. I need awd here but I hate my big suv.

1 Like

And, apparently, this wouldn’t be the case if there was a market demand for such devices. But this demand is just negligible. It’s a very loud, but very small faction of consumers.

3 Likes

There was never a market for phones the size of a small TV until that was all the big companies decided to sell anymore. Normal sized devices will return as soon as Apple makes them again.

2 Likes

Phone manufacturers just used increased device size as an excuse for the price hikes.

3 Likes

do own pinephone since few months.
have instaled latest manjaro installed yesterday.
lasted one full day with wifi on only.
today i did put the sim in, seems it will last again one full day.
will use it as daily driver for few days.
sailfish os also brought an update in january. but might not be that far in regards of basic functions like phone-calls, wifi, battery life.
will try that next week.

2 Likes

Apple makes the best (hardware-wise) compact smartphone today: iPhone12 mini. And it sells awfully: this model’s share among all iPhones was humble 6% from Oct. to Nov. The reality is this: Under equal circumstances (price, specs), vast majority of consumers would choose a bigger screen. Market research is not a Rocket science, you know).

6 Likes

I am not sure if market research on expensive end phones applies to all phones.

2 Likes

iPhone is the most popular smart phone in the world with high build quality and mini really does not have any drawbacks compared to normal iPhones… But maybe there is president that if you spent +900 euros on a phone, you want it to be good in many aspects. Smaller screen could impact something like media consumption for most people, so comfort from smaller screen might not be as important.

I think both cheap and expensive small handsets are easier to make. However, creating a smaller midrange device is a challenge since usually panel prices are about the same (or even more expensive) while creating a design that fits all the components and has all the desired features is more challenging. These would need to translate into good sales numbers, which is a huge risk for most manufacturers.

3 Likes

Also, when the iPhone mini is around 750 Euro and the Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact was around 600 Euro, I can still imagine the XZ2 not selling that great either. And since Sony has diminishing sales, that was the first model to go.

Hi @pawel.spoon how are you finding the PinePhone Manjaro versus Sailfish? My Sony X is on it’s last legs, wasn’t built to last and hoping for a new Sailfish phone, a new Sony or getting the PinePhone with Mobian.

My Sony X is becoming painful web browsing on Sailfish. Does PinePhone offer a better browsing experience with Manjaro? I keep hearing the PinePhone is too slow to use as daily driver.

2 Likes

Have you tried Ubuntu Touch with your Xx? The browser is far better.

1 Like